“Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Rome!”
Review of Hotel De Russie

Hotel De Russie
Ranked #52 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
Los Angeles
“Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Rome!”
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I just returned from my fifth stay at the de Russie (5 times in the last 6 years) and the hotel is better than ever. The service is top notch -- from the doormen to the concierges to the staff in the restaurant and bar to the housekeepers. The hotel is beautiful, warm, chic, comtemporary and comfortable and the locaton can't be beat. As repeat guests, we really feel at home at the de Russie. I truly cannot understand how this hotel could have received a single negative review. The de Russie cannot be beat.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ashjoffe23
G M, General Manager at Hotel De Russie, responded to this review, 4 January 2013
Dear Guest,

I am so happy to hear that the Hotel de Russie is your favourite hotel in Rome. I often find, as you seem to, that returning to the same hotel makes me feel more at home every time. The environment becomes familiar, as do the faces. This always makes for a more memorable and enjoyable visit.
I will pass on all the wonderful comments about my team to the various departments. Feedback from guests is always helpful and encouraging to hear.

We look forward to welcoming you back again and again.

Kind Regards,

Stefano Gegnacorsi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 25 December 2012 via mobile

This is most definitely a city hotel, in a beautiful historic building. The location is fantastic - we were able to walk up the hill to the park surrounding the Villa Borghese- not to be missed- and to much of the city. Given that location, it's not surprising that its a bit noisy and given the age if the building, of course there are not high tech heat controls and sleek bathrooms. What you will find is a very welcoming staff, excellent concierges and some of the loveliest, largest rooms we have found in Europe. The entire hotel was decked out spectacularly for the holidays, as was the city itself. The De Russie is warm, friendly and a welcome respite from the business and sites of Rome and we look forward to returning!

• Stayed December 2012
Newport Coast, California, United States
Reviewed 17 December 2012

This hotel has the most fabulous suites, great outdoor area for Happy Hour cocktails, brunch, breakfast. Our doors opened out onto the courtyard. The service and food were outstanding.
Will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Well, your platinum AMX, will help. Ask for a suite overlooking the courtyard, and large bathroom...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
England
Reviewed 6 December 2012

Spent 2,200 Euros on a suite. Was nothing special but it was a special occasion for us.
The room lacked luxury and they even had the nerve to charge us 20 euros for internet connection!!
Been to alot of 5 star hotels but would NEVER ever go back to this one again. Or recommend it to even my worst enemy.
Staff are rude and snappy. I found a small hair in my buffet lunch which put me off the hotel food. They did little to offer an alternative. The bathroom products are cheap crap! (been to cheapoer hotels and at least they are designer) Stains on the pillows on the bed to greet us and two double beds shoved together to be called a King?! Nice when you keep falling down a gap and ask for a suite. I understand there are more expensive suites. Pah!
Upon arrival there was a lack of face towel. Poor attention to detail.
Boo boo and more boo. Dont waste time or money on this place. Better hotels in Rome to discover. Its seriously overrated and almost snobby.

Room Tip: do not stay here is my best advice
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
22 Thank Cupcakebrown1983
L S, General Manager at Hotel De Russie, responded to this review, 11 December 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent visit at the Hotel de Russie. We obviously failed to meet your expectations and I would like to offer our sincere apologise for this.
I certainly don’t want to find excuses for certain areas that should have been operating more smoothly, but wanted to assure you that your experience does not reflect our usual standards.
People have commented at some length about the genuine warm feeling displayed by everyone in the team and the great responses from our guests is that we have a product, and the service to accompany, that puts us among the very best hotels in Rome. I am only sorry that you did not leave with that impression

In closing please note that we did offer a compensation for your stay through your travel agency and I would be pleased to discuss this further. Please call the hotel and ask for me directly or kindly provide me your details in order for me to contact you.

Best Regards,

Stefano Gegnacorsi
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 2 December 2012

I was reasonably satisfied with my stay, but, considering its reputation, the Hotel de Russie came up a little short in my opinion.

Staff and service were mostly very good - attentive, helpful, friendly without being presumptuous (front desk, restaurant, housekeeping). The climate control worked and the bed was comfortable, which count for a lot. But -

The ROOM was nothing special. The decor was a drab monochrome grey-blue, and the reproduction Louis XV seats were not at all comfortable. Room size was modest, and the bed was a Queen.

The bathroom was pleasing in appearance, but lacked a separate shower (I don't see how a hotel can be in this price range and not have a separate shower); the plastic shower curtain inexplicably extended only 2/3 the length of the bathtub (try to visualize this!); and the towel warmer didn't function (leaving the bathroom a little nippy).

BREAKFAST was deficient. Though the staff were excellent, the content of the breakfast buffet was rudimentary, and didn't include any warm items like eggs or sausage (though you could ask for these a la carte). There wasn't even a high-end prosciutto, just ordinary salami, baloney, Virginia-type ham, and salmon. The breads and pastries were okay, but there wasn't much variety. Compared with the other two hotels in Rome that I would consider comparable in reputation (and both of which I have also stayed at) Hotel de Russie's breakfast was by a wide margin the most parsimonious.

And last, the DOORMEN were frequently more interested in chatting with each other than in opening the door. In 4 days/nights, I may have entered and exited 15 times, and not once did I get a warm smile or an offer of an umbrella or a taxi.

The Hotel de Russie is the right choice for certain kinds of guest, but many well-heeled but otherwise average travelers will be underwhelmed.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank MannyG2000
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2012

A great hotel, lovely service and fabulous location. The amazing concierge planned our whole 3 day trip. The hotel itself was lovely and understated in the ground floor. The room itself was small as expected but felt like it could do with a little updating especially the bathroom which had cracked tiles and lime scale. For the prices they charge for the rooms you expect perfection. Despite this we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jemina S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2012

Went to Rome with my wife for a friend’s wedding in September. To be honest I didn’t have high expectations given my previous experience of the city. On that occasion the taxi driver who picked us up from the airport drove like a maniac, was cracking on to my Mum (with me in the back seat), and then ripped us off when we arrived at the overpriced hotel – that pretty much typified the rest of the holiday. Anyway, back to this trip. The plan was to arrive Friday night, spend Saturday morning/afternoon seeing the sights and go to the wedding in the evening with a return flight Sunday morning. Unfortunately when we arrived we were told the hotel was full and we’d have to go to the Sofitel instead. Apparently one of the people in our room had a heart attack, and the family needed it which if true is perfectly understandable. The only problem is we were only told this when we arrived. There was no attempt to inform us beforehand in spite of the hotel having our contact details. This was particularly difficult on my wife who was pregnant and was tired after the long journey. All she wanted to do was go to bed. There were other people in our party who arrived earlier and were given rooms, so it’s a little frustrating to be singled out as the people not to get a room.
We came back the following day having missed breakfast and wasted most of the morning. We were however upgraded to a larger room, although didn’t have much time to enjoy it. There was nothing taken off our bill at the end of the stay.
I guess by Italian standards, which in my opinion are low, the rooms were ok, albeit a little on the small side. The staff were polite, which is not something you can always expect in Rome. Also, the location is pretty much as good as it gets in Rome which is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
There’s always the possibility my experience was a one off for them, but even taking that into account, I think the hotel is overpriced and my experience left a bad taste.
The wedding was amazing though, so I guess that more than made up for the hotel experience.
I will probably come back to Rome in the future, but would I stay at this hotel? No.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple