“Great Service and location, nice staff”
Review of Hotel De Russie

Hotel De Russie
Ranked #55 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 2 May 2008

We stayed at the Hotel de Russie for 4 nights in April. Our flight arrived quite early (and one of us sans luggage). Our room wasn't ready until 2 PM, but we were upgraded to quite a large corner room. The bed was great, nice linens, and the bathroom was huge and well-stocked with high-end toiletries. The rooms have large flat-screen TV's with several English channels, as well as wi-fi. If you don't bring a computer, the hotel offers free internet access in a small room in back of the reception desk..

Others have mentioned that refurbishing is in order... that wasn't so much our reaction as was the very bland, you-could-be anywhere decor (which is identical at their sister property, the Savoy, in Florence). A few knicks and dings here and there, a few spots on the carpeting, but mostly what you notice is just a sea of light green.... walls, bedding, carpeting, chairs....

The staff were fantastic... uniformly gracious and helpful... among the nicest of any of the hotels we've stayed at in Italy. The breakfast buffet is excellent , in a lovely, traditional room which looks out onto the garden area where you can also dine. The courtyard/gardens (shown on the hotel website) is indeed lovely, and a nice respite from the crowds and noise of Rome.

The Eden, the Hassler, and others may be grander, but we really liked the location next to the Pza del Popolo, and the very warm and helpful staff here.

Another reviewer mentioned that the concierge referred them to the restaurant Hostaria da Pietro a few blocks away. We went twice, and were quite pleased. The first time the service and food were great, the second time was even better and we were treated like family. Simple Roman food, well-prepared.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,428)

Reviewed 22 April 2008

I stayed at de Russie for 4 nights together with my wife and I must say that the place did not quite live up to its five star reputation.

The location is excellent but the property is not in particularly good shape relative to its peer group. Our room could've used some new paint and textiles- The same goes with the public areas of the hotel. Secondly, the service was polite but not top-notch. For example, they made several errors in preparing our bill and forgot to tell us that our driver had arrived to pick us up for the airport despite having specifically asked for that 30 min earlier.

For a "normal" hotel the flaws would have been in some sense acceptable, especially taking into account the relaxed Italian approach to organising things, but with de Russie's prices things should have been in much better shape.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sejase
Reviewed 9 March 2008

We stayed here for 3 nights prior to leaving for a cruise. We found the hotel service to be good (ie. satisfactory for this type of hotel). They assisted us with restaurant reservations, car service, etc.

Our room was nice, overlooking the courtyard. It was a fairly standard room, and for European standards I did not find it to be small. The bathroom was very nice, and the room was quiet.

We did enjoy the breakfast buffet and but did not enjoy lunch at the hotel as much.

However, for the expense of the property, we've stayed at nicer, with better service. But the location is great, and we could walk all over, so I expect that is built into the price.

We'd likely try a different hotel for our next trip to Rome.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2008

We stayed here for a week over Christmas and can't rave enough about this hotel. This is the perfect location and the service is amazing. The rooms are on the small side, but apparently most hotel rooms in Rome are on the small side. Our room was great, had a nice city view and a fabulous bathroom and shower. The staff was amazing and the concierges were more helpful than at any hotel I've ever been to. They gave us great recommendations for any questions we had. The Stravinskji Bar is a really hip place among Romans and tourists and the staff at the bar was incredibly friendly (somewhat surprising for such a hip spot) and remembered our drink orders every day. Free Internet in the business center was a nice surprise, too! We stopped by the Hassler for a drink and it was old and stuffy -- hotels on Via Veneto are slower paced and the other hotels we checked out had nothing on the de Russie. Will definitely be staying here next time I'm in Roma!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank ashjoffe23
Reviewed 17 January 2008

I stayed at the Hotel de Russie for two nights for a quick look at Rome before attending a business meeting. I booked a single room on the hotel website and got what I thought was a decent price, breakfast not included. I also asked for the hotel to send a car to the airport.

The car was great--bigger than the one I had requested, but I thought the hotel had made a substitution on their own and gave it no further thought. The driver was pleasant and offered his own tips for what I should see in the city.

I was a little bemused by the lobby, small, busy, and a bit run-down as it was. However, the desk staff were also very pleasant , upgraded me to a double room, and got me settled efficiently. The room was spacious enough but, aside from the bed, the décor looked a little second-hand. I suspect they were aiming for the "distressed" look featured in some design mags, but I didn't think the floor needed to be that way too. No complaints about the bathroom--large, marbled, chock-full of amenities and towels. The bed was very comfortable and featured a number of pillows. Everything was clean. The room rate included two bottles of mineral water per day.

One major complaint concerns outside noise: My room must have been near an alley or kitchen unloading area, as early in the morning there was the sleep-disturbing clatter of someone trundling a cart of glassware down a sidewalk. I didn't bother telling the front desk.

The hotel's public areas were neither notable nor worthy of condemnation. If the hotel hosts a spa or gym, I used neither.

Contrary to another poster's opinion, I found the breakfast to be stupendous. All manner of cold meats, fish, cheeses, breads, pastries, fruit, juices, etc., etc. A silver pot of coffee left at my table. Cooked eggs for the asking. Prosecco ad lib! I gavaged myself in the morning and wasn't hungry again until evening, even after full days of walking. I have to think I got my EUR 30 worth. I didn't eat any other meal at the hotel so can't comment on the restaurants otherwise.

The location on the Piazza del Popolo is an excellent starting point for sightseeing. There's a great deal of activity around the piazza itself, although at the time I was there it had some hideous reflective display sprawled through its middle. Not the fault of the hotel. On the bright side, I was able to walk from the hotel to Piazza San Pietro in one direction and to the Colosseum in another. Wandering through side streets, I found myself on one occasion at the Pantheon, then later at the Trevi fountain.

I didn't have a great deal of interaction with the staff, though I did ask a concierge for a restaurant recommendation for traditional food. He was obliging though not particularly friendly, and his recommendation was just fine.

At checkout, I was suprised to find a charge for more than double what I had expected for the airport transfer. I was charged the "limousine" rate (hence the larger car) though I had requested a sedan (and had the e-mail to prove it). The manager graciously declined to see the e-mail and simply charged the lower rate.

All in all, I would recommend the hotel for its location (and for the buffet breakfast!). However--and only in my opinion--it isn't a true luxury property (even though it's prices might suggest that it is). I wouldn't pay more than about EUR 300 for a room here, unless I really, really wanted a suite, had to stay here regardless of cost, or had money to burn.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank waterstone
Reviewed 16 January 2008

I and my girlfriend stayed at de Russie for a long weekend in march 2007.

It was everything I had expected. Especially the location and surroundings of the hotel is worth remembering.

The room we got was nice and well furnished but perhaps a little small (as usual in Rome) Great and huge bathroom.

Breakfast a little bit dissapointing. Not very big but again that is what it is usually like in Italy.

Super staff at the front desk and concierge.

Expensive but well worth the money!

Best wishes
Richard

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RDN_8
Reviewed 14 December 2007

I was hesitating between the Hassler and the De Russie to come to Rome with my friend to celebrate his 36 birthday. I am happy with my choice but things could have been better.

We stayed in room 214 which is a studio room facing Via del Babuino. We had made our reservation through Amex FHR Program but we were not lucky enough to be upgraded.

1) Location
The Hotel de Russie is perfectly located near Plaza del Popolo. High end fashion stores are 200m away. In fact Rome is much smaller than I expected, and everything is easily accessible by walking.

2) Room & amenities
The hotel is nice, but there is really nothing special. Hotels in Paris are on a totally different scale. I thought that may be the atmosphere of the De Russie would be close to the Park Hyatt Vendôme or the new Fouquet's Hotel on avenue George V, but you do not have the same "luxury" feeling. This is only a detail, but Christmas decorations for example are reduced to the minimum. I was expecting more.

3) Cleanliness
The hotel is still in shape, but not in mint condition. And we found a toe nail on the floor.

4) Service
This is the good point. Service is very good, from efficient and quick luggage delivery at check-in to perfect and complete turndown service.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple