Hotel De Russie
Hotel Hiberia(Rome)(Great Value!)
US$231
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Villa San Pio(Rome)(Great Value!)
US$323
US$136
Vatican View(Rome)
US$274
US$267
Hotel des Artistes(Rome)(Great Value!)
US$206
getaroom.com
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
1,452 results
All reviewsrocco forteconcierge staffvia del babuinogarden bargarden viewspanish stepsbeautiful hotelfour seasonsroom wasn't readyheart of romeluxury hotelborghese gardenseternal citythe location is perfectjunior suitevisit to rometrevi fountain
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 July 2008

De Russie is in a perfect location right by Popolo squere. Service at reception was very good and our room (classic double) was too small for two people. The hotel is realy nice and pretty, but for those prices you expect not just "nice" but more of an experiance. You dont get it here.

Best part of our stay was breakfast which is served in the very pretty courtyard and done very nicely. unfortunatly, a forgetable stay at 580 Eur. pass.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank coffeebar
Reviewed 13 June 2008

I just stayed here for a business trip (4 days) and it was good but not over the top. It is expensive, especially because of the weak dollar, and you don't get that much. The rooms are small, but nicely done. My room looked over the cafe/garden area, so that was fantastic. I personally prefer the decor of the hotel. It is not overly decorated like most European hotels and it tends to be more contemporary but elegant. The best part of this hotel is sitting in the outside bar and having a drink.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 11 June 2008

I had wanted to visit Rome for ages, and, therefore, I had thought about it all very carefully.

The swanky palaces on the Via Veneto never appealed to me, and so the choice of accommodation came down to three Hotels, the Lord Byron, the Eden and the De Russie.

I deleted the Lord Byron because, so it seemed to me, it was the wrong side of the Borghese Gardens to be convenient. I was right.

I anguished about the choice between the Eden and the De Russie, but having stayed at the Savoy in Florence, I decided to trust Sir Rocco.

All of this was arranged in January for a May stay, and so I had plenty of time to worry about the less than wholly enthusiastic reviews on trip advisor.

I did worry, but I needn't have. We loved the hotel. I saw no sign at all of any neglect in maintenance. Everything seemed to be immaculate.

Our room, which we had booked as a "deluxe" room [and we were told on arrival we were being "upgraded"] turned out to be an average size room but with a fabulous terrace [on the 6th floor] overlooking the Via del Babuino with views to the Piazza del Popolo. It was very nice indeed.

Granted the decor in the public areas is "pared down" but that IS the style, and seemed to me, anyway, as being wholly appropriate to the building and location.

There is just no doubt that eating in Le Jardin de Russie is a truly delightful experience, especially dinner, and as it gets dark.

We did go to the Eden, dining in the roof top restaurant on one of our nights in Rome. We had a lovely dinner, but felt that that Hotel was a bit "old and cold and settled in it's ways". It would be delightful for an older clientele, but I reckon that the De Russie sums up what Rome is all about now.

I definitely recommend it and would love to return as soon as possible.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brownbreadnbutter
Reviewed 22 May 2008

The room was very lovely, with a beautiful view, but this hotel was overpriced. It almost seemed like it was falsely advertised... The staff was sheepish when I innocently asked, "where's the butterfly garden?" The special butterfly garden didn't really exist -- there were no butterfies and that area of the garden wasn't particularly well-maintained...

The indoor pool area in the spa was a bit claustrophobic -- It's not as elegant as it seems in the photos. I also noticed that the carpeting in the hallway stairs was worn and slightly dirty. This hotel advertises itself as one of the most glamorous hotels in Europe, and it isn't! There must be smaller hotels in Rome that are more elegant, interesting, and more reasonably priced.

I was a 'young' woman travelling alone (31 yrs. old) and the slightly hostile waiter at breakfast (who wasn't Italian) teased me inappropriately -- to the point where a mature Scandanavian couple at the next table became a bit uncomfortable on my behalf. The breakfast was too expensive... It was impolite to charge so much for breakfast, and then to pester me so I couldn't enjoy the newspaper! Complimentary coffee and a modest breakfast should have been available in the lobby.

This was a splurge, but I felt a little silly spending so much... It's a fancy hotel, but it's not really "of the highest caliber." Something about this place just didn't add up. I did notice that there were some trashy couples on romantic getaways & they seemed to be dazzled by the whole experience... My fellow Americans... Bleh. :P

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank Claire88888
Reviewed 20 May 2008

Just returned home after a 3 night stay at the Hotel de Russie and it was superb. We stayed there 3 years ago and returned to find that the hotel is even better than before, the location could not be better and the staff are so helpful and ready to help with anything you may need.
One of the highlights of the hotel is the beautiful garden which is a real oasis of calm in a very busy city. We loved the food and the room was lovely and overlooked the courtyard.
We will return to Rome and this great hotel.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)