“3rd Visit in Five Years”
Review of Hotel De Russie

Hotel De Russie
Ranked #52 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
“3rd Visit in Five Years”
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel the first week of July. We enjoyed at great breakfast each morning out on the terrace. We utilized the car service to drive to a few of the historic ares we had not visited before. The driver also made some wonderful suggestions. We swam in the pool and walked the gardens behind the hotel.
The rooms were clean and bright. The location for us is perfect. The staff friendly and helpful.

Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I stayed at the Hotel De Russie for a two week trip to Italy for my first time. I have to say I was pleased with the hotel the second we pulled up. As soon as we got out there was a tall man in a top hat who greeted us along with many other staff members which i thought was cool. Our room wasn't quite ready when we arrived so we enjoyed a nice brunch on the terrace restaurant outside. The scenery was beautiful. The rooms we stayed in were also great. They overlooked the patio below and were very large to my liking. The bathrooms were very clean with many amenities as well. One of my favorite things about the hotel was the bar restaurant. i enjoyed many fruity and interesting drinks that were expertly mixed by the very talented barista. The location of the hotel is also great because it's in the Piazza de Popolo only a street or two over from all the shopping! This hotel may be pricy but if you are looking for a luxury vaca in Italy, you will definitely want to be staying at the Hotel De Russi while you're in Roma.

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank 814ClaireC
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We arrived Italy, on a very early flight from ATL and our rooms were not yet ready. I was given an upgrade while my traveling companion and I walked the local streets looking at the nearby Spanish Steps and other Rome Hot Spots. Upon check-in, I was escorted up to my suite by the manager and given a brief tour while the bellman delivered my bags. The room was SPACIOUS with very tall ceilings. The bathroom was well appointed in marble with great smelling bath soaps. The linens were top quality and very soft and recall having a very nice sleep. The spa on the lower level was a bit odd and it didn't make me feel like I wanted to go and get a spa treatment there for some reason. The sauna later that night was vacant and I enjoyed complete privacy in the pools. The outdoor garden area is amazing, and I'd encourage everyone whether staying there or just visiting Rome to stop and have a drink. It so happened the hotel was having a fresh flower exhibit in the lobby which was lovely and very picturesque. I found the hotel staff to be responsive, the terrace garden service slightly slow, and the included morning breakfast to be quite satisfying.

There was a hotel-recommended restaurant named Il Brillo Parlante that was absolutely delicious and had fantastic margarita pizza! YUM. The pasta was perfect, also!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2014

When in Rome, sort of "as they say", we enjoyed this property.

Great location for a really nice hotel.

We arrived by car, on teeny tiny streets, and parked just in front of the main entrance to to hotel - where they were easily able to take our car and park it for us, as well as whisk our luggage to our room - while offering us a cocktail in the terrace. We didn't mind.

Staff were all welcoming and most, if not all, entertained us with our attempts at Italian, and quickly switched into their very good English when needed. We felt great when we arrived and enjoyed the feeling every time we returned to the hotel.

The hotel is close to a shopping district - and as well there are a lot of great restaurants in walking distance - as well as the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, (right down the road)..also close is Vatican City/St Peters - and yea you could walk to the Colosseum and the Forum/Ancient Rome also - but a cab will save you time. The Hotel is right next to some gardens and the Popolo Piazza - where there was a concert the night we arrived - didn't hear any of it in our room.

One thing to note - there is a trendy patio/terrace bar on the first floor - the "Stravinsky". We spent most of our "awake" time at the hotel at this bar. Service was quite slow at times, but the drinks and food were great. Like other city hotels with a great location and a cool lobby bar - it was not always just hotel guests at the bar - so I assume the busy bar area may have contributed to the slow service, which we did not mind much as the atmosphere in the gardens was terrific. Service staff was supremely friendly, even one or two that had trouble understanding English/or liquor names - we could point to the alcohol we wanted. If you want to get away from the lobby terrace bar - or just dress a little nicer - go up one flight to the Jardin restaurant - they will bring you drinks and serve you with less effort and more intimacy - as well as their full dinner menu. The garden area was just great - and a nice escape from busy and hectic Roman tourism - as was the entire hotel.

Our room, we also were upgraded I think, was very nice. We paid for luxury - and we got it - two bathrooms! As I have not stayed in other hotels in Rome - I cannot comment on Value. It seemed expensive as opposed to other hotels we've stayed, but my girlfriend and I felt it was well deserved and worth it. I do understand the whole debate about the charging for the eggs at breakfast. Eggs at breakfast appears to be mostly an American thing - so I understand that its an extra charge - I do not think most of the clientele are Americans, but who knows. If you can afford the hotel, you can afford to pay for an egg if you want it - or any of the a la carte items at breakfast.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LevelBrad
Little Silver, New Jersey
Reviewed 16 July 2014

By far- the De Russie is one of the best City Hotels anywhere- Location, Service, Food, Rooms- they did not miss a trick here- If anyone ever tells you - " How much time do you spend in your room " - tell them to go here- they will never say it again. Hotel De Russie is on my top 10 City Hotel lists and I travel often - It can be pricy but great things cost money.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Gary B
London
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed here out of season. We had booked a suite but we were also upgraded on arrival and the total package was very heavily discounted. The suite was a proper suite of rooms (rather than just a slightly larger room). We were looked after superbly. We were given excellent recommendations for everything, including v informal restaurants. We also asked the hotel to book us a night at the opera, dinner at la Pergola, private tour of the Vatican and other tickets - the whole experience was totally mind blowing. We dressed up pretty much every evening.

I recall reading negative reviews, eg complaining about having to pay for eggs at breakfast. However if you know that the egg is going to be an extra when you book it doesn't seem like such a big deal. In any event the cost of a couple of eggs was in fact a relatively modest outlay as against the rest of the trip.

Room Tip: It is worth getting the best suite you can afford.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank lazy_and_spoilt
charlotte
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We recently spent two nights at this beautiful hotel. The hotel and gardens are beautiful. The service was outstanding also. We were upgraded to a large suite. Everyone was so helpful and friendly. The general manager is a class act. We made it a point to tell him how thrilled we were.
The beds are very comfortable which is not always easy to find in Italy. The buffet breakfast in the garden is amazing.
Great location. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple