“De Russie Devine”

Ranked #54 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
tampa, florida
“De Russie Devine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2008

My husband and I had the pleasure to stay with Forte Hotels in both Rome and Florence this past April. We purchased our 6 night hotel package on Luxurylink.com. Our package included 3 nights at the Savoy in Florence and 3 nights at the De Russie in Rome. It was an exceptional value considering the state of the euro vs the dollar at the time (04/08).
To say we were thrilled with our accommodations at both 5 star hotels is an understatement. The De Russie in particular was stellar. The hotel is in a fabulous location. Steps away from major sights, the Spanish Steps and within walking distance of many fine restaurants and shops.
Our spacious room featured a king sized bed, sitting area, oversized marble bathroom, luxurious bedding and tasteful decor. Clean lines, art, and fine furnishings made our stay so special. Our room was located on hotel's top floor, and overlooked the walls of the Borghese Gardens and the private outdoor garden/restaurant and terraces of the hotel. In a bustling city like Rome, this quiet and calm green oasis provided a relaxing haven. The view from our balcony was magnificent.
The Hotel De Russie also features an excellent spa which features a lovely indoor heated and jetted pool. We booked massages and felt totally pampered.
Our package included daily breakfast and a superb dinner at the Jardin De Russie. We dined al fresco by candlelight while being serenaded by soft live music. It was enchanting!
The staff at the hotel was so helpful, the service meticulous and food amazing. We stay at lovely hotels everywhere we go, but this hotel in particular was the most exceptional one to date. Attention to detail, luxurious furnishings and the view to end all views.....
I cannot wait for the opportunity to stay with the De Russie once again.
This was our fourth time purchasing a Luxurylink auction package. All were winners, but this one was like winning the lottery!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Perfect in all ways
  • Stayed April 2008
3 Thank joycewt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2008

After a rotten experience with checking into to another hotel in Rome that we'd booked my wife and I agreed to leave that hotel and recover from the demoralising effect (see review of Hotel del Sole Al Pantheon) by staying here. My only quibble is that when I queried the price for a two night stay I was quoted the per night rate. As I soon discovered the hotel was more expensive than what I thought I was going to pay. But it was worth it. When you go into a hotel and see Hollywood star Colin Farrell sitting in the foyer you know you're in a decent hotel. The staff were TREMENDOUS and I wanted to hug them. The rooms were large and spacious. The bar is relaxing and the garden is amazing for a cramped city like Rome. The location is absolutely fantastic - in the middle of everything (check out the road parallel but running behind the street of the hotel for amazing shops and restaurants).

This hotel rescued our holiday in Rome for which I am very grateful. But be careful getting quotes for the rates; they will quote you the per night rate even if you tell them how long you are staying

• Liked — Great location
  • Disliked — Price is about 15 per cent too high.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank octavian_8
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2008

I booked this hotel knowing in advance it was going to be a nice experience. I was in the last portion of a 10 day business trip to London, Paris and Rome and wanted to treat myself to a nice hotel centrally located in Rome. At 726 Euro per night, the price tag is well worth what you will save in headaches, long walks back to your hotel and what may be one of the most lavish experiences you will have.
It was what I expected and then some. To begin, the location could not be better to walk around the old part of town, it is at the very edge of the Piazza della Repubblica, on Via del Babuino, one of the main shopping streets in Rome. This is the most expensive area to live in Rome, the hotel gardens and all the inside rooms face the gardens of the Palazzo Borghese, so the back drop is scenic. A short 5 minutes walk on the same Via del Babuino and you are at Piazza Spagna. Walk one block down and parallel to it is Via del Corso, another main shopping street.
The hotel stay and the concierge personnel made up for the nightmare I was going through, my luggage did not arrive with me. I flew Alitalia from Paris and they lost both pieces. I am back in the US and there is still no news about it. The concierge personnel (Alessandra, you must say hi to her, she is just fantastic, and Giusseppe who had a great dining suggestion after another) did what they could to try and locate my luggage, which meant calls to Alitalia every couple of hours.
I got upgraded to a great studio room facing the front of the building, room 510. Linen sheets, silk draperies in muted colors, authentic pieces of art and clean contemporary furniture with an ode to the 40's made the place an oasis, I did not want to leave that room. The bathroom all outfitted in white and grey marble with shining polished chrome fixtures has just the perfect size and perfect lighting. My room particularly was very quiet, even though it faced the street.
Upon arrival I dined at the garden restaurant, quite pricey (90 Euro for one person, 2 glasses of Pinot Grigio) under the stars, lit by candles. It was so quiet you could barely hear the murmur of the conversations in the tables around. After a flight and what i was going through, it was exactly what i needed.
The lobby and hallways are decorated with original engravings and sculptures placed strategically, the effect is both theatrical and inspiring, clean walls, clean floors devoid of rugs and 16 feet ceilings confirm you are walking into a historical building that had to be preserved at all costs.
My check in process did not take more than 2 minutes, the check out process the same. Upon leaving I left a shirt to be laundered which the concierge staff sent back to me at home at no charge to me even though I had specified a courier account they could use.
I will definitely make this my only place to stay in Rome, the level of service, the impeccable condition of the building, the halls and my room made for an unforgettable experience I want to bring my partner to share next time I visit this city.

• Liked — The room, it was to die for
  • Disliked — The price tag
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
4 Thank HRHalac
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2008

This is a very distinctive property. The hotel feels like a modern Italian villa but is located in the heart of the city near the Spanish Steps. Staff are very attentive.

The rooms are perhaps small for the price but are well furnished and the public areas are lovely. Food is overpriced.

• Liked — Distinctive architecture and style
  • Disliked — Small rooms and overpriced food
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Japan_Gaijin
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2008

Beautiful Hotel, excellent service, superb housekeeping, room service, concierge. Excellent location.

We were upgraded to a suite on arrival. We stayed on the second floor. The Hotel is noisy, not from street noise, but noise from construction in the spa (we didn't know about this in advance) and carts etc going through the halls below seemed to reverberate through the walls. There was also some jack hammering going on a few of the mornings. I guess they've got to do construction type stuff at some time during the year. Even with ear plugs, I had trouble sleeping. The beds are a bit stiff as are the sheets unlike other 5 star hotels where I've stayed -- if you like this style, no problem.

The Hotel is also amazingly expensive, especially for Americans with weak dollar -- simple tossed salad 18 Euro approximately $27. Ouch.

Loved the Hotel, the location, but probably would look into other options until the dollar recovers and would also seek to book a room on a higher floor.

Stayed August 2008
shropshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2008

Our first stay at a Rocco Forte hotel and having seen the brochure and the website we were really excited at the prospect. We booked the third most expensive suite (Popolo) which overlooks the Piazza del Popolo and after all the hype, we were distinctly underwhelmed! So much so that when we were shown to our suite we had to ask if it was indeed the Popolo Suite! The modern decor was pleasant but all much smaller than we expected. The bathroom - far from being superior - was small with a shower within the bath, no separate shower!! Very poor. We suggest they take a look at the Spirit Suites at Gleneagles in Scotland if they want to know about superior bathrooms!!

The roof terrace overlooking the Piazza was large and furnished with a table and chairs plus two recliners. However this lovely area could not be used during the heat of the day because there was no umbrella or awning to shelter one from the sun. We wanted to relax and read on this terrace and indeed have our breakfast there as shown on the website but it was not practical. (When breakfast did arrive it was on a trolley and there is no way that could have been lifted over a large step onto the terrace). When we asked for an umbrella we were told it would be done while we had lunch in the courtyard. However upon returning to our room after lunch nothing had been done. We contacted the desk only to be told that they could not put umbrellas on this terrace because it was on the city side of the hotel. This was the main reason for booking this suite so we could relax in private - a complete waste from every point of view! When we complained we were told nothing could be done but that the manager would arrange for an awning to be put up for guests in the future!! Great!!

"The striking landscaped garden" - as quoted in the brochure is certainly an attractive area to dine and a calm oasis from the noise of the city outside but the umbrellas were filthy and birds landing on the tables were a big problem. The Secret Garden is very small with very few places to sit and read/relax and we didn't see a single butterfly!!??

Not value for money. A big disappointment. We will not go there again.

Fintys

• Liked — Views over the City
  • Disliked — Not able to enjoy the views because no umbrella/awning provided against heat of sun. It simply was not worth the money.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fintys
New York, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2008

Sometimes I'm confused by the "high end" hotels getting such bad reviews on this website, but my wife and I spent 2 nights at the Hotel de Russie in June 2008 and it was excellent. I guess if people are paying a ton of money, they expect zero problems and issues, but that's another topic.

We were upgraded to a 1BR suite, which had views of the garden and a private outdoor terrace. The room was huge, with a small office as well as couches, etc. We didn't spend much time enjoying the hotel, but did hit the spa and breakfast, which were both excellent.

The location is fantastic for shopping and near Spanish Steps, etc. We had dinner at La Rosetta and Cafe Riccoli, which were both excellent but pricey (Rosetta was recommended an Italian chef friend from here in NY, but I recognized others from our hotel, so I think it's on their list).

Overall, the hotel was excellent, if expensive. I recommend it to anyone who's looking to splurge.

• Liked — Location/Beautiful Hotel
  • Disliked — Price!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple