“Romatic and lovely”

Ranked #52 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
Sheffield
“Romatic and lovely”
Reviewed 6 September 2009

My partner and I came here for a romantic few days and we were not disappointed. The courtyard is stunning and such a great place to enjoy a quiet drink before heading out to try a restaurant. It is also beautiful to have breakfast here too, if you are not having room service. The location is perfect, just far away enough from the madding crowds but close enough to be able to walk to some of the most famous ruins in the world.
We had a brilliant time and look forward to returning

• Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Morristown, NJ
Reviewed 15 August 2009

The service is amazing which made our 2 nights here so nice. Its a fairly modern hotel. Very pricey. Good place to stay if in Rome for 2 days.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Paris
Reviewed 2 August 2009

This hotel lives up to its reputation. The perfect place to stay in Rome.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Brighton
Reviewed 28 July 2009

My boyfriend and I had the pleasure of staying at the De Russie for 2 nights in July. From the beginning the experience was very pleasing. The front desk staff were very efficient and friendly and offered us welcome drinks whilst our room was being prepared, as we had arrived early.

The hotel's best feature is the beautiful private garden with lush palm trees, Orange trees and fountains. The bar staff were very helpful and friendly, and the head bar man has won several awards for his cocktails. I watched him making a Martini and it was certainly a delicious looking work of art!

We stayed in a Classic Double room overlooking the garden (try to request a garden view at the time of booking). The spa elevator was right next to our room which I was a little worried about, but we never heard any noise from it during our stay. The decor was tasteful and the room was not too overstated. There were complimentary bottles of sparkling and still water, which were replaced during the turndown service.

The Spa is large and has 7 treatment rooms, a hydrotherapy pool, sauna and steam room. There is also a small gym which looks well equipped. The hydrotherapy was lovely, more of a giant jacuzzi, I could have spent all day in there! The facilities are free for guests to use.

The breakfast is a continental breakfast, with a selection of breads, cakes, croissants, cheeses, meat, smoked salmon, yoghurts, fresh fruit, Free pour sparkling wine and preserves. There is also a cooked breakfast available to order, in fact I imagine the hotel will cook you pretty much anything you fancy for breakfast!

I had heard that this is 'THE BEST' hotel in Rome and I can see why. It certainly feels special, and the garden is areally unique oasis amidst the busy centre of Rome. The staff will do anything for you. It is a pricey hotel but if you want quality, privacy and relaxation you will find it all here.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Layla1984
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 19 June 2009

Went to get a massage between business appointments. Wonderful and the service was very courteous. Yet I got rid of my watch right before the massage and put it on my bathrobe pocket. Left it there and went on to my next business appointment to realize 20min later that it wasn't on my wrist anymore. Went back and it was gone. The cleaning lady explained to me very (and I mean Very) nervously that it wasn't there. I am as sure as it gets that I left it there. So, as they told me at the reception, make sure to always use their safe if you have valuables in this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank gugli
Sonoma CA
Reviewed 8 June 2009

We did not have a good experience at this hotel. Are room was ok but extremely expensive even by Italian standards for what we got. The key issue was the concierge staff. We book two restaurants through them in advance. We asked for both to be at 9:00 pm and got confirmation that we had these reservations. When we got to the hotel they told us that our first reservation as at 10:15 pm. We were on Turkish time (an hour later) and wanted to eat earlier especially after a day of travel. They could not get an earlier reservation and recommend a place like the one we reserved. They said it was only five minuets in a taxi. Well, the place was mediocre at best and was 15 minutes a way by taxi. We could not eat at the outside tables and were put in an inside table that had nothing but an empty room to look at. I think we paid more than $40 in taxi fairs. When we got back we took a bit of a walk and found some really nice restaurants close to the hotel. Prior to the dinner, we went to the garden bar which is in a very beautiful setting. All the tables were booked (probably by locals). We waited around and were finally given a table (not in a very good location). We gave our drink orders to the waiter. We ordered two cocktails and a bottle of water. After 30 minutes we still had no drinks. I asked the waiter about this and he said the bar was very busy but we saw another table that had arrived later then us get served. I asked that he bring the water at least now. He said yes but did nothing about it. We left with no drink after another 15 minutes The next night worked out. Then we were to leave by car and asked that they confirm our rental reservation. They confirmed it but then said we had to leave at 8:00 am that morning because of a bicycle tour that would prevent us from leaving the hotel later. It turned out that the tour had been rerouted the week before and this was totally not required. We had to leave two hours before we wanted to. We got to Avis to find that it was closed and had to stand in the street for another 30 minutes. In the mean time we had found out that there are many really nice boutique hotels in Rome. This place really sucks unless you want to play close to $100 for breakfast for two.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank avrammiller
london
Reviewed 16 May 2009

I stayed here on business and then stayed on for the w/e with my partner. I usually prefer smaller non chain hotels but this was excellent. The staff were great, the room was upgraded, the gardens are lovely and the restaurant, terrace and bar are excellent. I like it for being quite pared down and not oppressively opulent or self consciously designed. It's not cheap and you would have to question whether you need to spend this much, but this is worth it more than most hotels of this price.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business