“dont stay here”
Review of Hotel De Russie

Hotel De Russie
Ranked #52 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 14 September 2009

My wife and I spent three nights at this over priced second rate hotel with first rate prices.
The hotel was dirty, the restraunt was beyond aweful and outragiously expensive. They were so incompetent, they messed up our breakfast order two days in a row and all we ordered was eggs. The last straw though was our experience with the conceirge. We waited in line patiently while he hit on two attractive italian women. When it was our turn, he was so contemptuous and nasty, we ended up just walking away. It was obvious he, like many other people in this hotel and city for that matter, hated americans, but we assumed since we were guests in the hotel, we would at least get some decent service. We have never been treated so poorly and with such contempt. Aside from that, they amusingly all recommended the same reastraunt over and over again when we asked for dinner recommendations, we went to that restraunt to check it out and even though all the other restraunts in the area were packed, this one was totally empty which obviously sent up a red flag. These were just some of the things we found annoying. At close to a thousand dollars a night, this was unacceptable. The icing on the cake is the hotel called us a cab to the airport and told us the cab ride was a fixed rate and when we got to the airport, the cab driver tried to take us for ten etra euros muttering something about the meter, even though there was no meter. Perfect ending to a horrible trip. Rome sucks.
This hotel essentially ruined our vacation. We are writing this review in hopes of helping other travelers avoid this miserable hotel with their miserable staff. One has to wonder that if they hate americans so much, why waste our time accepting our bookings and just do us the courtesy of lying and saying they are booked.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
8  Thank scottsdaletraveler
There are newer reviews for Hotel De Russie

Reviewed 9 September 2009

Hotel de Russie is in a perfect position, near everything. It has a wonderful "Roman Holiday" feel: The courtyard is perfect for breakfast, and the aquatic baths (note no pool) is a great place to relax after a hard day sightseeing. Pre dinner drinks at the hotel is a perfect start to the evening.

Service was excellent and attentive.

Rooms were a reasonable size - we had a technical issue in our first room (which was big), and were promptly moved to a smaller room, however this looked out on to the courtyard and was just perfect.

The only downside is it is very expensive. Beware the tourist traps (i.e. cafes) close by to the hotel, and always seek a reccomendation from the concierge.

Free internet in the business centre downstairs, but no wifi.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WilJen888
Reviewed 6 September 2009

My partner and I came here for a romantic few days and we were not disappointed. The courtyard is stunning and such a great place to enjoy a quiet drink before heading out to try a restaurant. It is also beautiful to have breakfast here too, if you are not having room service. The location is perfect, just far away enough from the madding crowds but close enough to be able to walk to some of the most famous ruins in the world.
We had a brilliant time and look forward to returning

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2009

The service is amazing which made our 2 nights here so nice. Its a fairly modern hotel. Very pricey. Good place to stay if in Rome for 2 days.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2009

This hotel lives up to its reputation. The perfect place to stay in Rome.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2009

My boyfriend and I had the pleasure of staying at the De Russie for 2 nights in July. From the beginning the experience was very pleasing. The front desk staff were very efficient and friendly and offered us welcome drinks whilst our room was being prepared, as we had arrived early.

The hotel's best feature is the beautiful private garden with lush palm trees, Orange trees and fountains. The bar staff were very helpful and friendly, and the head bar man has won several awards for his cocktails. I watched him making a Martini and it was certainly a delicious looking work of art!

We stayed in a Classic Double room overlooking the garden (try to request a garden view at the time of booking). The spa elevator was right next to our room which I was a little worried about, but we never heard any noise from it during our stay. The decor was tasteful and the room was not too overstated. There were complimentary bottles of sparkling and still water, which were replaced during the turndown service.

The Spa is large and has 7 treatment rooms, a hydrotherapy pool, sauna and steam room. There is also a small gym which looks well equipped. The hydrotherapy was lovely, more of a giant jacuzzi, I could have spent all day in there! The facilities are free for guests to use.

The breakfast is a continental breakfast, with a selection of breads, cakes, croissants, cheeses, meat, smoked salmon, yoghurts, fresh fruit, Free pour sparkling wine and preserves. There is also a cooked breakfast available to order, in fact I imagine the hotel will cook you pretty much anything you fancy for breakfast!

I had heard that this is 'THE BEST' hotel in Rome and I can see why. It certainly feels special, and the garden is areally unique oasis amidst the busy centre of Rome. The staff will do anything for you. It is a pricey hotel but if you want quality, privacy and relaxation you will find it all here.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Layla1984
Reviewed 19 June 2009

Went to get a massage between business appointments. Wonderful and the service was very courteous. Yet I got rid of my watch right before the massage and put it on my bathrobe pocket. Left it there and went on to my next business appointment to realize 20min later that it wasn't on my wrist anymore. Went back and it was gone. The cleaning lady explained to me very (and I mean Very) nervously that it wasn't there. I am as sure as it gets that I left it there. So, as they told me at the reception, make sure to always use their safe if you have valuables in this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business