“The best hotel in Rome (and possibly the world)”
Review of Hotel De Russie

Hotel De Russie
Ranked #54 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 2 October 2009

I stayed at the hotel for four nights in August with my young family and a group of friends. We had the most wonderful stay. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and went out of their way to help me with some business communications. The restaurant staff were delightful and so kind to our 8 month old baby. Rooms were spotless and gorgeous. Will always stay in Rome at the Hotel de Russie - its location is superb and the hotel is the epitome of elegance and grace.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter H

Reviewed 30 September 2009

Rome is beautfull for a lot of thing and place, there are hotel in amazing place, this hotel is on street nothing special, in front of the entrance there is a 3 star hotel and next to the hotel popoulace building.
the staff is very snobb
the restaurant is without view
the corridor is in vain big
the room with nothing of special
from the window of the room the view is on apartmanets house

expensive and overpice

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
6  Thank AstrieWallerk
Reviewed 26 September 2009

My wife and I stayed at this hotel at the tail end of our Honeymoon and it was a major disappointment. I read some of the the negative reviews but overlooked them, but now that I have stayed there they were spot on. The bad experience started at check in - we asked to change rooms after our toilet wouldn't flush and my wife found a wet spot (hopefully just water) on the bed that was overlooked by housekeeping - which apparently had just cleaned the room prior to check in. They accommodated our request to change rooms and upgraded us to a nicer room, but it took about an hour and a lot of back and forth. When we got to the new room, there were scuff marks all over the room - it really needed a new coat of paint and it smelled moldy. The rooms are supposed to be "modern luxury" but they look like they're done with cheap furniture. The staff is really spotty, in the breakfast room, they were great. One of the concierges was very helpful, the other just was totally unhelpful and even slightly rude. Also, we got several different answers from the front desk as to when the breakfast buffet opened in the morning, I think it's 7AM, Finally when we checked out at 6:30AM neither of the elevators were working, so I had to walk down 4 flights of stairs with bags, and for some reason, they could not produce a copy of my bill when I asked for it at check out. I'd be wiling to overlook some of these shortcomings if this wasn't one of the most expensive hotels in Rome. Additonally, out of the 5 hotels we stayed in during our honeymoon in Italy, this was the only one that didn't have free wifi or internet access...the cost? 20 Euros for 24 hours, which should give you an idea of how things are run at this place.The only good thing about the hotel is it's location which is pretty central for tourists.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CurryA
Management-DeRussie, Management at Hotel De Russie, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2009

Dear Guest,
I was really sorry to read your commments regarding the stay at the Hotel de Russie and would like to offer my sincere apologies if we failed in delivering the level of service we strive to offer our guests.
I can assure you that we accommodate in our hotel a number of guests with special needs and are proud to have the flexibility to meet these requirements. It is therefore extremely disappointing to learn that we let you down on this occasion.
I really hope you and your wife will offer us the chance to definitively show our real service in a future occasion.
Best Regards

Reviewed 24 September 2009

We've been to Rome a few times and had varying success with hotels. Stayed in a lovely man's flat which he'd extended over a couple of floors, and I'd love to reccomend but I can't remember the name. Also stayed in the Eden, which I hated. All plush velvet and no heart.

The Russie is very different. The location is ace. Steps away from the Piazza del Popolo (?!) and the Spanish Steps. Walking distance from the Trevi and much else. Shopping?? This is where you have to be. The hotel itself has a bit of a relaxed vibe and is set around a rather delightful courtyard, where you can sit for coffee, beer, cocktails etc. Or you can just sit. From the courtyard you can wander up toward the restaurant and beyond through some very pleasant greenery - though parts were closed off when we were there. The restaurant is lovely enough - and dinner was particularly memorable.

The staff are also very relaxed and the concierge amazing. Service is...er...Italian, by which I mean that it can take a little while to get a drink. But hey...feeling frustrated? Go and ask them for the menu. They'll think you're a bit mad but they won't care a jot.

The room we had was a regular double and beautifully appointed and the bathrooms lovely. I don't think there are any rooms with a view (unless you count the courtyard) but otherwise everything was lovely. Yes, the rooms are expensive. Yes, the drinks are expensive. But, without a shadow of a doubt the nicest hotel I've stayed in, in Rome.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 September 2009

My wife and I spent three nights at this over priced second rate hotel with first rate prices.
The hotel was dirty, the restraunt was beyond aweful and outragiously expensive. They were so incompetent, they messed up our breakfast order two days in a row and all we ordered was eggs. The last straw though was our experience with the conceirge. We waited in line patiently while he hit on two attractive italian women. When it was our turn, he was so contemptuous and nasty, we ended up just walking away. It was obvious he, like many other people in this hotel and city for that matter, hated americans, but we assumed since we were guests in the hotel, we would at least get some decent service. We have never been treated so poorly and with such contempt. Aside from that, they amusingly all recommended the same reastraunt over and over again when we asked for dinner recommendations, we went to that restraunt to check it out and even though all the other restraunts in the area were packed, this one was totally empty which obviously sent up a red flag. These were just some of the things we found annoying. At close to a thousand dollars a night, this was unacceptable. The icing on the cake is the hotel called us a cab to the airport and told us the cab ride was a fixed rate and when we got to the airport, the cab driver tried to take us for ten etra euros muttering something about the meter, even though there was no meter. Perfect ending to a horrible trip. Rome sucks.
This hotel essentially ruined our vacation. We are writing this review in hopes of helping other travelers avoid this miserable hotel with their miserable staff. One has to wonder that if they hate americans so much, why waste our time accepting our bookings and just do us the courtesy of lying and saying they are booked.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
8  Thank scottsdaletraveler
Reviewed 9 September 2009

Hotel de Russie is in a perfect position, near everything. It has a wonderful "Roman Holiday" feel: The courtyard is perfect for breakfast, and the aquatic baths (note no pool) is a great place to relax after a hard day sightseeing. Pre dinner drinks at the hotel is a perfect start to the evening.

Service was excellent and attentive.

Rooms were a reasonable size - we had a technical issue in our first room (which was big), and were promptly moved to a smaller room, however this looked out on to the courtyard and was just perfect.

The only downside is it is very expensive. Beware the tourist traps (i.e. cafes) close by to the hotel, and always seek a reccomendation from the concierge.

Free internet in the business centre downstairs, but no wifi.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WilJen888
Reviewed 6 September 2009

My partner and I came here for a romantic few days and we were not disappointed. The courtyard is stunning and such a great place to enjoy a quiet drink before heading out to try a restaurant. It is also beautiful to have breakfast here too, if you are not having room service. The location is perfect, just far away enough from the madding crowds but close enough to be able to walk to some of the most famous ruins in the world.
We had a brilliant time and look forward to returning

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple