“Great Little Hotel”

Ranked #58 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Colorado, USA
“Great Little Hotel”
Reviewed 29 May 2009

Residenza Cellini is a small hotel located on the 3rd and 5th floors of a building within easy walking distance of the Rome Termini and close to bus and subway service. The staff is efficient, welcoming and helpful. Small but modern and clean bathroom, room quite adequate. Wonderful restaurant "Target" on the corner just steps away, which is convenient for weary travelers!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Palm Desert, California
Reviewed 28 May 2009

I chose this hotel based on reviews here on Tripadvisor where it was rated as one of the best hotels in the city. It also won an award in 2009 from Tripadvisor for its service. We are not in agreement with them on the service issue.

This 11-room hotel is located near Termini and is within 20-25 minutes walking distance of tourist attractions. Actually, Rome is much smaller and walkable than I anticipated.

We reserved junior suites at 210 euros (cash payment) per room, per night, for three nights. They are actually regular rooms, not what I would call suites, but huge by European standards, maybe even by American standards. I certainly could not complain about the size or decor of the room. Both rooms (us on the fifth floor with the other ladies on the third floor) were in very quiet locations. Our Romeo and Juliet balcony overlooked an inner courtyard (not an attractive courtyard, but a quiet one). My travel companions on the third floor even had a live orchid plant in their room. The outdoor terrace is lovely and we sat out there one evening.

My only (minor) complaints about the room are the coarse linens and the (whirlpool) bathtub was very slippery. The breakfast room is small as some on Tripadvisor mentioned, but we seemed to be the only ones in there each morning. They kept a bowl of fresh fruit in the breakfast room all day and I enjoyed that.

Regarding the service issues, I emailed them several weeks in advance asking them to call the Galleria Borghese for me with a question. They responded back quickly to tell me they would call and get right back with me. I never heard from them. After waiting several days, I worked out my answer on my own.

Also, my travel companion had an early morning flight and asked the woman at the front desk one evening to look on the internet for train information for the Leonardo Express. It was over an hour with no answer – the woman said she was still trying to locate the requested information. I came back to the room to learn this, and it took me less than 60 seconds to get the information on the (free) internet access they provide in the breakfast room. I expected better service than this. BTW, the computer is removed from the breakfast room during the breakfast service, so be sure to use it in the evening if you want information for the next morning.

Overall, I would stay here again as the rooms were spacious and attractive and I liked the location and cost, but my expectations on service would be lower.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank travelswithdiane
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 20 May 2009

Stop looking for a hotel in Rome and stay here. The location is excellent and you can walk to most cites within 20 minutes. The hotel is close to the train station, subway station, grocery stores, lots of restaurants and just about anything you need.

The staff go above an beyond. They are friendly and more than willing to help you with anything. They greet you each morning in the lovely breakfast room, offering a wonderful capiachino.

The rooms are very large and comfortable. Much bigger than most rooms that you will see in Europe. The television has Sky satallite which allows from much English viewing, which is a nice treat when falling asleep after a long day of walking. We highly recommend taking advantage of the roof top patio with a bottle of Italian sparkling wine.

For the price in Rome, there is no better. We would stay here again in a flash.

1 Thank EuropeanTraveler09
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 17 May 2009

This was our fourth stay at Residenza Cellini, and we love it. The location is so convenient. Just take the Leonardo Express train (11 Euros one way) from Fumincino Airport to Termini train station in Rome. It is a short walk (maybe 6 or seven blocks, depending on how you count it.)

Each member of the staff truly does everything they can to make your stay outstanding. Among a few things, they provide free internet, maps, information, restaurant reservations, ice and wine bucket and glasses, call a driver for the airport or a taxi for you, help you with the elevator and luggage, etc.

The free daily European breakfast is lovely and generous. The 5th floor balcony for the guests to utilize is a wonderful place to have your Prosecco or wine while relaxing after a long day of sightseeing. The staff will provide a wine bucket, ice, napkins, etc.

We have stayed in room #5 junior suite (spacious and nice). This last stay was in Room 503 and one other room. Room #503 is not large, but has a small private balcony with table and chairs, which is delightful and more than makes up for the size of the room. The room has a king bed (probably two twins combined), a desk with chair, two nightstands each with its own lamp, another floor lamp, a wardrobe (with a safe inside).

The room had a great air conditioner, which we could control and definitely needed in May. The balcony in #503 is so much fun that it becomes a toss-up as to whether we prefer it room 503 or the more spacious junior suite.

The #5 Junior suite bath had a large tub. The #503 bath has a small shower, large marble-type sink, toilet, bidet, towel warmer, hair dryer, toiletry amenities (shampoo, shower cap, soap, shoe sponge)

All the hotel furnishings are traditional, lovely, and updated. The common area hallway makes you feel as if you are in a lovely home. The hotel is light and airy - not dark and not depressing. Ceilings are tall.

Each member of the staff truly is warm, friendly, helpful and will go out of their to make your visit a great one.

We love this small hotel and plan to go again soon for our 5th visit.

2 Thank Roadrunner15
oliver
Reviewed 21 April 2009

The staff was so helpful and accomodating. The rooms were lovely and very clean. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Hopefully we will be able to return one day.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank duckOliver
LITTLE ROCK
Reviewed 20 April 2009

My husband and I spent a total of 6 nights at Residenza Cellini -- April 2009. It is a lovely, well-located hotel with top-notch service. For us, the rooftop patio was a plus that we enjoyed almost every night with a glass of wine. The staff was great, and the owners/operators were kind and helpful. The next time we travel to Rome, we will definitely stay at Residenza Cellini again! We highly recommend it...

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 April 2009

Residenza Cellini did not get a 5 star from us because that ELEVATOR was constantly out of order and we live on the 5th floor. The poor receptionist ladies had to help us carry the luggage... The service was great and much appreciated and they have this wonderful map of Rome which we used a lot. Close to metro and bus stop and supermarket close by.
Also, the breakfast was the worst amongst the 4 hotels we stayed at. I don't think they have a kitchen, so the breads were always stale and the coffee could be better.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo