Hotel Torino
  • Room Service
US$1,067
US$604
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 August 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel through lastminute.com one if there secret hotels and its no wonder the room was falling to pieces dirty and the staff weren't very knowledgable at all after booking when they send you the hotel name I read trip advisor and tried to change hotel but lastminute would not allow this are seats for the outbound flight had been booked at separate ends of the aircraft and I can only say using lastminute was not a pleasant experience and I could not recommend them to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Nm64
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stayed at the hotel Torino for 3 nights in July 2013. I read a number of reviews before staying there - some were excellent and others very poor. I generally read all to try to get a balanced view but I have to say the negative ones were possibly the more accurate in this case. First the positives - the hotel is located close to Termini station so for travellers arriving by train it is ideal. The reception area was clean and smart looking and the staff that we encountered were helpful. I will also say that the price for the stay (bed and breakfast) was reasonable. However, this was supposed to be a 4* hotel and in my view is nowhere near that standard. Firstly, on arrival there is a short flight of steps up to get to the lift to take you to the upper floors for the rooms - so anyone with mobility difficulties might struggle with this, particulary with luggage. There was no assistance offered with getting our luggage up the steps to the lift (let alone to the room). Secondly, we were allocated room 523 facing into an inner courtyard. This was good in a way in that it was very quiet and there were excellent blinds keeping the heat out, However, when we walked in i noticed something brownish spattered on the wall - I dread to think what it was but it looked like blood - which spooked me somewhat. Beside that the room and bathroom were clean. The room was fairly small - just large enough for twin beds pushed together, a desk with TV and wardrobe, so not a lot of room to move around. The bed was uncomfortable - it had a large dip in the middle and clearly required a new mattress. The air conditioning worked but was a bit on the noisy side.

One thing that caused us some concern was that, whilst there was a safe provided in the room, it was not bolted or fixed in place. The safe was located inside the wardrobe but could actually be lifted out and carried away if anyone had a mind to! Consequently we did not feel comfortable with leaving our cash in there and ended up carrying it around with us.

In terms of breakfast this was taken on the rooftop terrace - there was an outside section and an indoor section. The first morning we ate outside and it was lovely with views across the rooftops of Rome. However, within a matter of minutes it became apparent that the roof terrace was also the hunting ground for a number of pigeons who were bold enough not only to peck around the floor but also to pounce on the tables and flap about whilst you were eating. This became extremely unpleasant. The following day we deciding to eat in the interior of the breakfast room, thinking this would at least be a respite from the pigeons. However, having collected our food and returned to our table we noticed at least two patches of pigeon poo on the table cloth which clearly had not been washed since it was last used. The area where tea and coffee was available was dirty. Whils there was a reasonable selection of food for breakfast (meat, cheese, bread, pastries, fruit etc) none of the meat or cheese was covered or had an means of keeping it cool in what was a very hot room with no air conditioning. On the whole breakfast was quite unpleasant and unhygienic. In terms of the quality of the breakfast I would say that whilst there was a reasonable selection of items the quality was poor - for example the orange juice was clearly made from concentrate rather than fresh orange. In a 4* hotel i would expect the real thing.

Overall the hotel was adequate in terms of providing a bed and a bathroom as a base for exploring Rome - but really if you are going to stay here think in terms of 2* standard rather than 4*

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Bobbie096
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stayed here during a city trip. Well situated for getting around, advantageous prices. It is not a new hotel, traces of humidity in the rooms, barely sufficient AC, but the beds are clean. Drinks in the minibar are cheap. Breakfast on the terrace was nice, but not great. Staff was overwhelmed, annoying presence of pigeons and gulls fed by the staff. Juices are tasteless.
I would probably stay again only for attractive price since I know what to expect.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2013

While Rome was not built in a day, I had no more than that to explore it. So for my one-day visit I wanted to find a place as close to the train station (Roma Termini) as possible, and at a fair price. At almost half the price of the alternatives, I booked a night at Hotel Torino despite the bad reviews - and boy am I glad I did!!

The location is excellent, perhaps two minutes walk from Roma Termini - which means train station, metro, and bus service. Quite a few restaurants and delis near the hotel which is convenient. And even late at night (midnight-ish) the streets don't feel or look dangerous.

The breakfast served at the terrace on the 7th floor is once again excellent. Perhaps the best breakfast I had in Italy, and with a very nice outdoor experience at the terrace which is a great way to start your day.

The bathroom in my room (second floor) was nothing short of spectacular. Seems VERY new, probably not older than a few years. It was a pleasure.

The guys at the front desk were polite, helpful, English-speaking and very effective. The only thing I didn't care for was their luggage room, which was completely open and not very secure. Still, had no problems with that on the day I left.

So where's the catch? My single-bed room was not exactly a suite. A bit small and with an oldish design (in contrary to the very modern bathroom), it was nothing to write home about. BUT, it was perfectly clean, did not smell at all, was large enough for one person and their luggage, and included air conditioning. Spectacular no, but definitely adequate.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank chenav
Reviewed 24 July 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay. So close to the station. Breakfast was great on the terrace and even had a cappuccino. Room and bathroom was big and spacious with a small balcony. Clean rooms However the air conditioner was adequate and had to leave it on all day to be cool. The service was good. The minibar was not cold enough to cool our drinks and their internet wifi was bad. Kept on dropping out etc. not a four star hotel but for Europe it was great. Definitely going back. I've booked them again on our return back from holidays. :)

• Stayed: July 2013