“Not a 5 star hotel”

Ranked #391 of 1,261 Hotels in Rome
“Not a 5 star hotel”
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

THIS IS LONG BUT IF YOU READ ANY REVIEW - READ THIS ONE,

Never having been to Rome before and not having had a holiday for some time we decided to go the whole hog and treat ourselves to a 5 star hotel. If I am paying 5 star prices I expect a 5 start experience and sadly this fell somewhat short. By '5 star experience' I mean a good room, facilities and service. We stayed in room 704.

Let me start with the negatives.

The bidet in our room was cracked and leaked - the chamber maid was obviously aware because she kept wrapping a towel around the pipe under the bowl. The plug in the sink did did not fit and thus in order to shave I had to keep the tap running meaning that I had to keep adjusting the water temperature - irksome to deal with and not five star.

It was 33 degrees Celsius in the shade out in the city during our stay so the air con in the room was a welcome relief, however it did appear to have a mind of it's own. Our air con switched itself on full blast at 18 degrees at @0400 hours every morning meaning that (once the cold had woken us up) one of us would have to get up to switch it off! So an undisturbed night never happened.

We were provided with slippers with a one-size-fits-all attitude which meant that my wife's were too big and mine were too small. This was important because the Lino in the room absorbed the cold from the air con and 'sucked' the heat out of our feet.

The core of the building contains a fire escape which runs down from the roof top bar which has no fire doors to stop the noise filtering down. Our bedroom was directly opposite the fire door on our floor and on the Thursday there was a disco/party going on that meant we got to 'enjoy' the 1980's music into the early hours of the morning.

We were only provided with polystyrene cups in our room. For a supposed 'five star hotel' to do this is a disgrace, we ended up buying some mugs so that we had something decent to drink out of !

Half way through our pre-booked and paid for stay the staff checked us out so, when we returned to the hotel on that day, our door entry card needed re-setting - clearly they had no idea of who was, or was not, staying there.

The breakfast bar provided a good selection however the cooked breakfast was generally cold with congealed scrambled eggs. One morning I timed things perfectly because a member of the staff brought out a tray full of warm scrambled eggs, imagine my disgust as, having replaced the old one, he tipped the old congealed, cold, eggs into the new food and stirred it in! I would have thought for a five star hotel that a cooked breakfast could have been made to order - after all if I had dined there in the evening the food would have been cooked to order.

On our last breakfast there, we were served with our tea and coffee, and then went to the breakfast buffet to help ourselves, when we returned to our table we found the waiter packing it all up! Obviously no idea of what was going on regarding the customers.

On the first day the chambermaid took away one of the polystyrene cups but did not replace it with a clean one (we had not yet bought our mugs) thus one of us had to forgo our wake-up beverage. Clearly less that five star !

The bathrobe I used had a stain (makeup ?) on the collar - when was this last changed?

I know that possibly some of these observations may seem overly critical, however as I have previously said, we willingly paid the five star prices in order to get the five star 'experience' which we did not!

If the hotel is happy to take the 'big' money then they need to provide the 'big' service.

I have said enough criticism, now for the positives.

The staff were always pleasant and polite - I regard this as the most important point in any stay at a hotel as, however good the hotel is, one rude staff member can ruin the experience.

The location is excellent, we walked to most places and the Metro is nearby for farther trips.

The bed was big and comfortable.

The TV had a good range of channels so I could catch up on world events when I wanted to.

The room was clean and modern.

Despite my earlier, justified, criticism of the bathroom the shower was sufficiently roomy and powerful.

There was plenty of wardrobe space.

RESULT

We had paid for and therefore felt entitled to expected a 5 Star experience, however this did fall short. That said I make these comments in the hope that the management will take them as ' constructive criticism' rather than a 'moan'.

I suppose that the acid test is 'Would we stay there again?' And the answer is yes because the overall experience was good.

This is clearly not a 5 Star hotel despite its rating, I would rate it at somewhere between 3.5 and 4 star.

PARTICULAR COMMENT.

Massimo you obviously read these trip adviser comments because you take the time to reply.

How many people do you need to give you feedback regarding the polystyrene cups in the rooms before the hotel takes some action? Apart from yourselves no 5 Star hotel in the world will give their customers polystyrene cups. Do you want to become 'Trip Advisor Famous' for this ?

No 4 Star hotel I have ever stayed in has use polystyrene cups. For a supposed 5 Star hotel to do this is comical and I will share this with all my friends, as I am sure others have.

This is the only hotel I have ever stayed in where I have had to provide my own crockery !

TIP

All this hotel has to do is listen to the constructive feedback from it's customers and act upon it. It could be great or even superb! Everything is there it just needs someone with a bit of drive to push it that little bit further.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank A J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Great Hotel.. All the major attractions are easily within walking distance.

Very clean rooms and helpful and polite staff.

Amazing view of Rome on the roof top terrace.

Free wifi in the hotel

Nice breakfast on the roof terrace with excellent views.

I'd recommend this hotel to anyone would indeed stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank BenMoriarty
LaGriffehotel R, General Manager at La Griffe Roma - MGallery By Sofitel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind review and for recommending to stay at La Griffe Roma.

It was indeed a pleasure to read that you appreciated the hotel experience and that we overexceeded your expectations.

I will immediately share your comment with the entire Team for their friendlyness and positive attitude.

Please come to visit us again and do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Nice hotel in the city centre, not far from all main sightseeing sights ,great location, friendly, helpful and attentive staff, good service and very nice rooftop terrace.

My parents indeed enjoyed their stay at this wonderful hotel in a such beauty city.
Can't even described how we are thankful and grateful to the hotel team, (especially Ms Valentina Taraborrelli) for making these days special and remarkable!
As a gift for their 25th wedding anniversary, they upgraded their room for free in junior suite, and champagne and flowers were delivered at their arrival.

We will definitely stay here again if we come to Rome!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dar_Bar_729
Dear Madame,

Thank you for your kind review and for recommending to stay at La Griffe Roma.

It was indeed a pleasure to read that you appreciated the upgrade in our Junior Suites and our gift for your parent's anniversary.

I am really glad you both had a wonderful stay and I will immediately share your comment with Valentina - our Front Office Manager - for the great job done.

Please come to visit us again and do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed for 4 nights B&B
Great location just outside the immediate railway station vacinity which is not a nice area. If you are prerpared for a bit of walking you won't need to use any public transport to either get to the hotel from the station, or for any of the sightseeing
Staff very friendly and attentive and reception area quite posh
Rooms were fair sized, bed huge and quality of fittings reasonable - seems to me it's been done up to a high standard, but they need to do a bit of maintenance work to keep that eg. part of the shower glass was missing (doesn't bother me, it's their floor!). Air conditioning was efficient & quiet
Breakfast was on the 9th floor and so was half inside and half outside with great views out over the rooftops. Food quality and range in keeping with my expectations. 10th floor was a bar area which was very nice at night...but either a bit quiet (not a problem for us) or heaving because they were having an event
A further word about the room - ours didn't have a window since it was an internal room - it could open out onto a central (unused) fire escape through heavily curtained patio doors, which was ok, but it could be a make or break for some people. The advantage in having the inertnal room was that it was quiet - if you were at the street side of the hotel it would get traffic noise most of the night
Wifi worked no problem and was not fiddly to set up
Reception were fine about taking our bags on the last day since we didn't fly out until late evening
Would I stay here again? Maybe. I wouldn't call it a 5 * hotel but we weern't paying anywhere near 5* prices! It was great value

Room Tip: Some rooms don't have windows, so if it's a problem for you, get it sorted before you take t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hoohoobug
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comment concerning your stay at La Griffe Roma.

It was indeed a pleasure to read that you found overall a good value for money for your stay in the Enternal City but I am sorry to learn we did not meet your expectations in full.

We took good note of your comments and I am glad to inform you that most of releavant points of maintenance you kindly highlighted are already been discussed with our Chief Engeneering in order to fix them.

Sir, I truly hope there will be another opportunity for us to better serve you in the future and I invite you to contact me directly.

Thank you again for the courtesy of your time and we all look forward to welcoming you again at La Griffe Roma.

Your sincerely,

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed at La Griffe during our recent honeymoon in Rome.

I have mixed feelings about the hotel.

The reception staff were largely attentive and pleasant to deal with, though the bar service upstairs was very slow.

The decor of the main lobby was very cosmopolitan and sleek, but the rooms, although comfortable and similarly cosmopolitan were a touch bland. I explored the option of upgrading to a suite, but seeing as the looked identical to the standard superior rooms, but slightly bigger, I thought better of it as the additional cost was huge. The bed though was huge and comfortable; the AC worked well, and the bathroom was neat and tidy.

The location is pretty good too. 15/20 mins walk from the majority of attractions.

One minor, but still irritating gripe was the lack of an iron in the room, or available for borrowing from the desk. The reception suggested going through the laundry service, but that would mean waiting hours just to get some clothes ironed just to go out in - not the most sensible of suggestions.

Overall, the hotel was nice enough; neat and modern. I suppose the 5 star rating of the property was warranted relative to other hotels I have stayed at in the country. Overall, I thought it lacked that extra umph needed to genuinely bestow a 5 star review on a personal level. The rooms, although modern and neat, felt a touch bland. I have stayed at other 5 star properties which simply blow other 5 stars away, so to rate them on the same level wouldn't make sense. So overall I'd give the Griffe 4 stars.

That said, it did cost a touch less than other 5 stars in the city I was looking at. However, I would most likely sample a different 5 star hotel next time I'm in town.

Room Tip: Stick to the superior rooms. The larger suites are just not worth the extra.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mani M
Dear Guest

Thank You for choosing to stay at La Griffe during your recent honeymoon in the Eternal City.

I will immediately share your appreciation with the Front Office Team for their attentiveness and positive attitude.

Overall, I am glad to learn you had a pleasant experience but on the other hand I am sorry that we did not overexceed your expectations.

I hope there will be another opportunity for us to make sure you will experience La Griffe Roma at its best.

UK
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Good hotel - a rather strange modern style in a refurb. Great location; good service and very nice rooftop terrace for breakfast & drinks (we didn't try restaurant apart from breakfast). The only thing I found strange was their relationship with a local restaurant (Ronaldino?) which they always recommended very strongly but nothing else close. It was good but expensive (60 Euros a head). You'll have to draw your own conclusion about why they only recommended it - I did.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest

On behalf of the entire Team I wish to thank you for your precious feedback about staying at La Griffe Roma.

We are all looking forward to welcoming you in occasion of your next vacation trip in the Eternal City.

Please contact me directly and I will make sure you will experience La Griffe Roma at its best.

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I loved staying here for 2 nights. The front desk staff was very attentive and helpful. Milena was amazing! They made dinner reservations, and helped us check out later for our evening flight. The door man was knowledgeable about our train times so we got to Termini on time. Breakfast was delicious each morning. We will definitely stay here again if we come to Rome!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rachelle S
Dear Madame, Dear Sir

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave your comments following your recent stay at La Griffe Roma.

We are most grateful for your feedback and it is very rewarding to read that you totally enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank You also for kind words for our Team Members, Milena and the Doorman which is most important aspect to us to make sure our guest can experience a memorable stay.

We sincerely look forward to welcoming you you back to La Griffe Roma very soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you require assistance for your future stays in the Eternal City.