“Not at all hospitable, and we got robbed right in front of the 24hr Concierge!!! No secure parking!!!”

Hotel Franklin Feel The Sound
Ranked #241 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Located next to the Vatican walls, we assumed this very well rated Best Worstern would be a nice pit stop before heading back to the Netherlands. Boy, did we choose the worst spot ever! Not only did the female Concierge judge my boyfriend and I's size but saying: "umm, maybe you won't like a French bed, you may need something bigger," she was extremely rude and didn't care when we told her our phone didn't work and we only had one towel. The night time male concierge clearly could see our car and had a view of it the entire night. That didn't seem to stop the gypsies from robbing all of our dirty laundry (everything we had worn on the trip, including my boyfriend's brand new linen suit, in which he just walked his cousin down the isle in!) - all of our souvinuers and some of my great shoes. The car was 109% locked!!!! Don't rent a Fiat Panda and dont't stay at this good for nothing un-hospitable trap of a "hotel"! It was the worst service and devil-may-care attitude I've ever experiencied in all of hospitality. Wow, best western, wow.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Turkish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We had a great stay in this fun hotel near Vatican City! We knew it was music-themed but hadn't expect drums as our bedside tables, and a revolving disco ball in the (clean, big) bathroom. The staff were helpful and friendly (especially the lady at breakfast), the room was exceptionally clean, and breakfast was great. Having a fridge was handy, the flatscreen TV was an unexpected treat (Wimbledon was on!). Lovely quiet residential area away from the hustle of central Rome. We chose the hotel as it was close to Vatican City and near a metro line so we could visit Ostia Antica - it isn't so close to the other main sights, but the hop on hop off bus stops relatively nearby. We felt it was very good value for a hotel (and breakfast) in Rome, and would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Edison, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Where to begin?!
First of all, the location is terrible unless you want to be within a 10-minute walk to the Vatican City. The neighborhood is a sketchy residential neighborhood and you are at least a 10-minute walk away from the nearest Metro station.
So... my group includes my wife, our two-year-old son, and my wife's aunt. The Rome Metro station is fairly run down and full of interesting characters. Having a stroller didn't make matters any easier as the Metro stations are not designed for stroller or wheelchair accessibility for the handicapped. Carrying the stroller with our son up and down several flights of stairs repeatedly was a nightmare. The alternative is to take a taxi to the center (approximately €10-€15) or to take the bus (we've yet to explore this option).

The receptionists and the bellhop were all very helpful and cordial when we arrived.
The problem beside the location is that our air conditioner unit in our room is not functioning properly and it periodically makes a screeching helicopter-like noise that lasts several minutes. In the midst of my frustration, I was willing to go outside to sleep in our rented car. The solution for the hotel administrators was to offer us a small fan and for them to turn off the air conditioner. When the noise goes off it is impossible to stay asleep and my child keeps waking up!

I've read other reviews of people complaining that the music system in their room wasn't functioning, and this is also the case with ours. I tried! I put a CD in the system and it didn't read it and the CD door simply kept opening.
Lastly, and it may sound a bit petty... I'm in Rome as the World Cup finals are underway and though thy have a Sky system with more channels than I was aware existed, the World Cup game is blocked with a message to contact the reception. Their solution was for us to try a different channel (didn't work), and several other guests were also complaining about this issue (I'm not a big soccer fan but I'd be frustrated if I were!)

We are in Rome for just two days before moving on to Sicily and I sincerely hope tomorrow will yield a better day at this hotel as I am optimistic that they will switch our room, fix the air conditioner unit, and/or give us a credit for one night... To be continued...

My advice, stay elsewhere! I am a frequent traveler and have stayed in many hotels throughout Europe and especially Italy. The headache and the incapable staff are a definite thumbs down!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank asm75
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Location - away from hustle and bustle, 7-8 minutes walk to vatican city
Staff - friendly, warm, helpful
Room - tad small, but clean and modern.
Bathroom - funky and fun, and spacious
Child friendly hotel
Wifi - not too bad
Breakfast - sufficient spread

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
West Midlands
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed 19th to 22nd June with my husband. First impressions of the entrance were a little off putting. Just a tiny sign and a very small door resembling a shower cubicle entrance. Once inside though we put our initial fears to one side. It's a small lobby, and as the Hotel name suggests, it's decor is music themed. The Staff were lovely, very helpful and welcoming. They have cold drinks and pastries for you to help yourself at any time. Our room was modern, clean and comfortable. The music theme continued into the bedroom with drums as bedside tables. A great music system, sky TV. The bathroom was pristine. The glitter ball in the bathroom is quirky and adds a great touch. Breakfast was complimentary for us. Cereals, fruit, eggs and bacon so plenty of choice. The breakfast room is small but very nicely set out. It opens out into a walled garden area. There is no bar but you can bring your own drinks in when you want. We did this on an evening. There are plenty of supermarkets around. It's about a 20 minute walk to St Peters Square. A very easy straight route from the end of the road. All in all we were very happy with our stay. If you want a boutique hotel in a fairly quiet area this is for you.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hat_8
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed here as a party of 3 a couple of weeks ago pre cruise. We arrived about 12:45 and our room was ready ! Staff was helpful with questions. check in and out very quick. Room was on the smaller side and mattres were abit too firm for me.. My wife and son enjoyed them. Music thenme was creative.. Loved thed disco ball in the bathroom ..bathrooms were great. Breakfast was excellent. I forgot ladies named that worked there but she was awesome.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tomzino
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Its our first time to travel together as couple. but our experience was not so good.They have good staff , good food and cleanliness. BUT what we really hate most here is we are expecting to have a good sound to enjoy the room (coz sometimes the weather is bad) and thats their specialty.. "the bluetooth speaker" but it was Not working..!! And we booked a room and suggested to have bathtub but when we came there they said that was the last room they have.. they didnt even tell us that no room with bathtub. At least they have a nice light in toilet. A modern style.. thats add point.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple