“If I Had a Hammer...”
Review of Hotel Terminal

Hotel Terminal
Ranked #1,129 of 1,273 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Several rooms were booked by our staff admin for a work-related trip, but we all would've moved if we could've gotten a refund and/or gotten our office to pay for other rooms.
They have tidy, basic rooms at first glance, but if you touch anything, it feels like it's about to fall to pieces. We stayed in 3 different rooms, and all of them had issues (which I list by room below. See my pix, too). The thermostat was broken in all of them, for example... But don't ask the grumpy night attendant to do anything; he won't. The daytime concierge was much nicer.
The booking site said they had free wifi, but it's 3 euros/hr, or 10 euros/day, and it's unreliable. The time starts ticking the moment the concierge prints the code, and you have to go to the desk to get the printout; no getting it by phone from your room. I bought 5 hours of internet for 7 euros, and it went out after 2.5 hours. Grumpy Night Attendant said that was too bad; the code he gave me was only good for 5 hours from the time of purchase, and he wouldn't give me any compensation time. The TV remote also has a surcharge.
Breakfast was pretty awful: Nescafe and sickly sweet pastries. The street is noisy with service trucks running all night, and the hallway smells like sewage half the time, until they spray air freshener to cover the stench. We later found out why...
Room 302: The bed, nightstands, and lamps were all wobbly, as if someone had removed all nails and screws from everything. In the moldy bathroom was a half-empty, used shampoo! I had no desk chair, but the friendly day clerk brought one quickly when I asked.
Room 105: We went to Florence for the weekend and went into our double room to find 2 twin beds. We're a couple, so we wanted one bed. We went right back downstairs, and Grumpy Night Attendant said he could do nothing that night. Tomorrow, he could change our room over to a double. By this, I think he meant that he'd instruct housekeeping to push the beds together and make the bed with double sheets. We did this ourselves, but the beds were on such shaky legs, it felt like they were going to fall apart. And we discovered the beds were the only things holding the headboards up, because they nearly fell over when we moved the beds. The trim also fell off one! The nightstands and lamps were also shaky in this room. Our colleagues in other rooms had similar reports, and one had to be moved because her bed broke. It's as if they refused to use nails in this building! The trim on the doors came right off when we pulled on it. Even the toilet seat wasn't secured! There were also broken fixtures like outlets and light switches (see pictures).
In this room, there was only shower gel, no shampoo. I asked for extra conditioner, but no. I suspect Grump Night Attendant had extra supplies behind the desk, but he didn't want to be bothered. I took a bath, but when I removed the free floating, water flowed out of a capped hole in the floor where the bidet apparently used to be. It had the same sewage smell as the hallway! The worst thing was, we didn't call the guy at the desk because we just didn't want to deal with him being a jerk. We just soaked it up with a towel.
Room 101: Next day, the responsive receptionist moved us to 101. This was probably the best so far; not so wobbly, smelly, or loud. It faces a courtyard, though, so it's not a great view. Still, it was about as unkempt as the other rooms; the carpet wasn't vacuumed in the corners, so it was gray from dust. But this was par for the course.
Unfortunately, the demand for affordable rooms in Rome is so high that Terminal Hotel (as we all now lovingly call it) is middle-of-the-road. Its only redeeming feature is that it’s near Termini station. But then so are a thousand other hotels. If you can afford to stay somewhere nicer, do!

Room Tip: If you must stay here at all, try asking for a room off the street.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Nakalanzi

Reviewed 10 February 2012

Good location near to the station with local shop out to the right round the corner and in two days we walked to all the sites (exhausted at the end though) some nice restaurants nearby. Check in was easy enough even though there was language barrier. Breakfast was atrocious and we left after trying the juice. I would like to add that we have travelled extensively in all ranges of hotels and only wanted somewhere to sleep and shower so we are not fussy. BUT and this is a big one we had no hot water but carried on as it was early and figured everyone was prob using it. We returned in the evening to more of the same. I went to speak to staff and he didn't give a crap and told me it was tough. This was after he did something with the fuse board. I returned to my room prepared for another cold shower and after 5 or so mins the water was warm!! Clearly they isolate the hot water to save money and only turn it on if you complain?? Another cold shower the next morning. I don't have an issue with a business trying to save money but I do with being spoken to like an idiot! It is basic and having seen the abundance of hotels in the same road I wouldn't recommend it. It was barely adequate for us a we are a couple who travelled with one carry on for the two of us so you can appreciate we are not high maintenance. On another note be aware of what your paying for in cafes we got over charged even when standing at the service bar. Happy travelling peeps x

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank dawn H
Reviewed 24 January 2012

The hotel is situated on a quiet street near Termini station. This is the main advantage. I also loved that the people were really friendly and ready to help you anytime. I received a few maps and indications in order to get to the main attractions.
The rooms were small, but who cares? I was there to visit Rome, not to stay in the hotel all day long.
I had a little problem with the breakfast because there wasn't any ham, cheese or vegetables to eat. For 4 days i ate only croissants.
Another advantage was that i could walk to the colosseum and other attractions on foot and I was there in about 15 min. So I recommend it if you want to explore the Rome and if you don't have problems with the breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Ana C
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We don`t go back again!
- We checked in, got our key, then we went up to our room and we realized that the room was not ready. We were not upset because it happened before 1 o`clock but we were surprised that the receptionist forgot to inform us that the room was not ready.
-We have stayed in a triple room, so our third bed was placed into a twin room. our extra bed was sooo dangerous, its legs were flexible, it seemed that any time it could collapse. so my friend could not sleep at all.
-the breakfast was really sweet...no ham, no cheese, no fruits, only sweet pastries...however the coffee was nice and unlimited...don`t try the orange juice! the toilet was next to the breakfast room, it was really smelly!
-When we checked out, we realized that we were charged for drinks from the mini bar...we haven`t drink anything at all...we told the receptionist that we did not have those drinks, he started to calling his colleagues then he told us that we had them. we told him again that we did not! finally after a little argument we got back our money without saying sorry.

Positive things:
-good location
-luggage store free of charge
-friendly night porter
-clean room

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank NikiOxford
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Where do I start. Their website says the staff are multilingual. Not true except for one staff member who can speak english, but he only worked one shift during our stay. The rest of the staff were totally unhelpful. As for the rooms, not too bad for a budget hotel. They were clean & fairly comfortable. Unfortunately we were given a room where the heating didnt work at all - NOT GOOD DURING A EUROPEAN WINTER. It was absolutely freezing. No extra blankets were available. When we tried to explain to the staff, they explained that the heating is only turned on between 6am-9am and then 9pm-midnight. What sort of hotel is this?? It was only after making a scene at the front desk while others were checking in that they agreed to give us a different room where the heating worked. (still only 6hrs a day). I was in Rome 12months ago and stayed at hotel Caravaggio. I should have stayed there this time again! The only thing this hotel has going for it is its location.

Room Tip: room 101 has no heating!!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jeremy K
Reviewed 21 December 2011

Staff at the reception was rude.rooms very poor.practically no hot water.breakfast ok.overall poor.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 26 November 2011

My mam, my sister and myself are just back from Rome 26.11.11.We arrived at 1pm and were able to check in our room was just ready. We had a triple room.Have to be honest after i had booked this hotel i seen more reviews, bad ones and was like i hope this place is alright,but we were pleasantly surprised I imagined our room to be a tiny box, as some of the reviews had said that and the bathroom but the room was fine there was a double bed and a single plenty of space for us, the bathroom also had plenty of space, i did notice one person in reception saying she had no hot water and i think she had been moved to another room already and still no hot water.but you just have to let the shower run for about 3 mins then the waters lovely and hot.There was also a mini bar in our room,tv with sky and hairdryer in the bathroom and also a safe in the wardrobe.As for breakfast i already had said to my mam and sister look the reviews on brekkie are really bad,When we went down our first mornin we got lovely fresh cold orange juice they also had cranberry juice. They had 2 cereals which i didint have as i dont drink milk but every1 else there seemed to like it.There was croissants and these little pastrys with jam i had them every morning they were lovley.It was a grand breakfast to start u off for the day, also a coffee machine you could get different coffees think my mam had the cappucino and she said it was lovely.Only thing was when you look at the hotel terminal website it says 35 rooms smoking and non smoking and most with balconys so we requested a smoking but when we got there were informed its all non smoking and our room had no balcony we were on the third floor i dont know if any of them have but the website did say subject to availability.Staff were really helpful throughout our stay free maps at reception and they mark places on the map if you wanted to see them.They told us about mamma mia that was on and we went to see it it was brill even though it was in Italian but we enjoyed it.Location is excellent when you come out of the hotel go left then next right then your at termini station.We only went here once as first day we got on a train my mams bag a girl tried to get her hand into her bag twice only for my sister seen her but it was a scary experience in that station we practically ran out if it!There all over the place them pickpockets.Especially the train station is crawling with them ready to pounce.So we decided safest way round Rome was the sightseeing bus we went with glt (green line tours)which is straight up from the hotel 17euro for the day or 21euro for 24hours brings you to Colosseum, Vatican city, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps and 6 other spots,and SAFE,Beware of them people dressed up as Romans at the Colosseum they will be like we will take a photo and then try to demand 20euro off you ha!!Even though they take it with your camera but you just give them a euro or whatever you want but not 20euro.But if i went back to Rome i would stay in the Hotel Terminal again :)
Maria