“Clean, value”

Ranked #760 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
Toronto
“Clean, value”
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Our room was clean. Very tall ceilings. Bathroom was small, but had all to be expected from a European hotel, including bidet. Don't know about English language at reception as my husband speaks Italian. Wifi only works in the tiny computer room, has a comfy couch to sit on while doing your Internet thing. Breakfast was fresh with good coffee. Little coffee place across the street is nice, seems to be frequented mainly by non tourists, a plus for me. Round the corner a little pizza by the slice place has very tasty pizza. 10 minute walk from termini.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Earthy_Feet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Batley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2013

So In May 2012 I turned 30 a dream had always been to visit Rome, so I booked & went.

The hotel Cambridge was unbelievably cheap for single person occupancy in Rome, so my thought was clean, comfy and safe!!!

The hotel was almost in the same place as a few other hotels it wasn't overly easy to find from the Termini ( however with my directional skills i'm not surprised it took me a while to find it !! )

Several residents tried to point me in the right direction and i finally found my way there, my fault completley.

my room was on the first floor, air con, private bathroom, fresh towels, and a TV
OK so there wasn't a view my room looked out into the middle of the block onto laundry & pigeon crap etc, but hey !!! I hadn't paid to look out at the Trevi or Spanish Steps

Rosa i think was the receptionist who was fab, she helped me with this whole on-line checkin procedure for my flight home and she even booked me Vatican tickets and told me when was best to go.

Didn't make brekkie most mornings but when i did its was fresh and lovely,

The best thing i liked about the hotel Cambridge was how safe i felt, normally i'd say don't walk around with a guide book in your hand
( but trust me in ROME you look more out of place if you don't have a guide book or map in your hand!!!! )

So many people on here complain instead of compliment
Well your not paying a Waldorf Astoria Price but i tell ya what for £238 inc flights for a 4 night stay at the end of may i thought i'd got me a bargain.

Would i stay again YES !!!

This is an honest review, I went to Rome to see Rome not moan about a hotel, at the end of the day sleep, shower and change is what i paid for and i got a tv and air con too!

Check out my tip for drinking water Xx

Room Tip: All around Rome are what look to be black, grey or blue fire hydrans with water pouring out, do as t...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank lizzya504
London, England
Reviewed 25 March 2013

We booked the Cambridge for a weekend in Rome on the way back from San Marino for the England game. The location is ideal, just around the corner from Termini station, so you can get anywhere on the Metro. I have stayed in hotels in that area before which frankly were flea-pits. This is a basic hotel but very clean which is all we wanted. The staff were very friendly and all spoke English. The bathroom was probably the smallest i have ever seen in my life but on saying that, it was very clean. So if you want budget accommodation with no frills, but in a great location, I would recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank whugirl
Bishop Auckland
Reviewed 10 March 2013

We had switched to the Cambridge Hotel from another hotel which had received bad reviews.
As a result we were in some trepidation. Our fears were unjustified. The Cambridge Hotel in Rome was clean in all respects. The staff were all unfailingly polite and able to communicate in French and English, although as a Scotsman I am averse to speaking English when abroad.
The breakfast was fine, tea/coffee, juice, fruit, yoghurt, croissants and buns with jam, butter and honey. I was perfectly content to watch Italian TV, especially as on one channel they give news on the screen, which I found it interesting to read.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The Stazione Centrale is not far off. The only problem about the Stazione Centrale is the numbers of men hanging about pestering tourists to buy their shoddy wares. However, the area immediately around the hotel is fine.

Room Tip: Having been in Italy in the summer, I would not want a sunny room. However, if you want sun, go for...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank roderick m
Hotel_Cambridge, Front Office Manager at Hotel Cambridge, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Dear Roderick,
Thank you very much for sharing your opinion about the Cambridge Hotel!
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2013

My partner and I have just returned from a trip to Rome with friends. We were pleasantly surprised by the standard of this family run hotel. I note from a previous review that one comment stated that the bar was never open. Did the person ask for a drink? We did and the staff were only too happy to open the bar for us, not only for drinks but also supplied complimentary snacks and took time to chat to us about our stay and offer advice on sightseeing. There was a problem with the hot water, but this was resolved quickly. The rooms were a decent size and the shower and toilet were spotless. A five minute walk from the railway station and easy access to bus and metro make this an ideal location for a trip to Rome. We are looking forward to a return trip to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jmcd54
Thank you for your opinion regarding Cambridge Hotel in Rome.
We keep opening our Bar whenever someone wants it and it is the best moment to enjoy our "working time" with guests.

Looking forward to have the chance to see you again!

Best Regards,

Daniela
Reviewed 11 February 2013 via mobile

It all comes down to your expectations. We had 4 double rooms, we all agreed the rooms and ensuits were very small but clean. The owners were polite snd helpfull. Breakfast was continental, no cooked food put plenty of bread , pastries ,yogut , cereal tea and coffee. This was a budget hotel and we got what we expected, we were only there for three nights so it was fine. Very well positioned for sight seeing.

Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2013

....as in properly working central heating and a supply of hot water in the room - especially in January! Unfortunately our room was cold on arrival and stayed chilly. The water temperature never got above tepid so there was no Roman bath enjoyed during our 3 night stay, just an extremely quick shower in a VERY compact bathroom. The location was ideal with it's close proximity to the train station, Metro and Tour Bus stops. The Reception staff varied from a helpful girl on arrival to another who was too busy on her mobile to even smile 'hello' and a night porter who couldn't speak English. I am not of the opinion that everybody, everywhere in the world should - but perhaps in hospitality it would be handy incase of an emergency (what's fire, fire...in Italian?!) The young lass that greeted us at breakfast was welcoming but she was the only good thing to say about that particular experience (mould on the top of my yoghurt pot). Unfortunately I cannot comment on the bar as we never found it open! Admittedly the B&B rate we paid had set our expectations to expect 'basic' accommodation but we had travelled as part of a group...and other members who were at a hotel, actually nearer to the Termini, enjoyed much better facilities; including a comfortable functioning bar and hot water, at the same rate.Therefore it would do well to thoroughly research before booking a hotel in this area as another discernable difference between the two groups were that The Cambridge 'guests' were pea green with envy!

Room Tip: Our friends on the first floor - where our room was located, also had only lukewarm water in the bat...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends