Hotel Gabriella
Hotel Grifo(Rome)(Great Value!)
US$206
US$111
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Le Clarisse al Pantheon(Rome)(Great Value!)
US$205
  • Room Service
US$336
US$220
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscroissantsmain trainshort breakchoose this hotelthe location is perfect
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Our initial impressions were not good. It's not in the nicest bit of town and it looks awful from the front, somewhat like you would expect if you were walking into a bedsit. The reception is not the best and I'm afraid I cannot agree with the previous reviews about the great location? Yes it is near the termini, which is a massive complex so beware if getting a train and getting to the correct exit. If like us you exit towards rear of station it's a lot further than 5 mins walk and there area littered with pickpockets. Thanks to my wife being alert she managed to wrestle back her iPhone from some horrible creature who had his hand on it as he pushed past her as we negotiated the narrow footpaths alongside the termini station. I suppose if you are happy to use the bus and / or metro during your stay the location is fine.BUT if you like to walk to the main attractions be warned its at least a 30 min walk minimum to say the pantheon etc. We ended up catching taxis at the end / beginning of a long day to / from the hotel which at around 10euro a time soon adds up. Ok onto the hotel itself. Basic is what I'd describe it as. The moans... Very small bathroom, if you had long legs near impossible to sit on loo without your knees smacking into the shower cubicle. Shower v small and really difficult to wash feet lower limbs ( water was always hot though to be fair) toilets seat dirty old / worn and broke along with cracked floor tiles and big dint in the bathroom door, bedside drawer broken.TV v basic and only local tv with no remote. Fridge was frosted up with massive ball ice. Hardly any hangers max 5 and nowhere to hang up your coat etc on rear door / near entrance? Don't bother with breakfast at 10 euro each v cramped dining area toaster that is less effective than a 2 bar electric heater ie wait ages for it to work, cheap food / instant coffee awful. Ok the good points .. It's cheap for Rome and although not spotless it's clean enough and the bed was comfortable. I suppose to sum it up.... disappointed with location however ok for 3 nights but I couldn't do a week there. I would personally look for something nearer and possibly a star upwards

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Worst, Unpleasant ambiance and very rude staffs.
The hair dryer is very old, you'll be afraid to use it since it feels like its too hot on the wires already. The room is very hot, we opened the window to catch some fresh air, the noise from the outside is very annoying.
The manager Barbara very rude and yelling us on the hallway when our friend from Rome, wanted to just use the BR going into our room, I mean for 5pm only, she was ridiculously yelling along with the staff member guy who were treating us like total strangers.
This place is very unpleasant, You will have to clim up stairs to go to a front desk along with your heavy luggage. I was very disappointed and very upset and regret so much why I chose this horrible hotel. I will never ever recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Francesca N, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Gabriella, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear Mr Torning,we are answering you to this review knowing already that you made the same review with another title,we are happy that you don't have nothing to do so important and you are spending all the time to review us,but we have other guests to take care of,so will be the last time we will answer you,to all your offensive lies.
First of all I show you the room and you said"very nice room" so I think the only reason to give us a bad review is that you tried to go into the room with a friend(when you arrived we allowed him to come with you with the luggage)you want him to take a shower and stay in the room with you.
In Italy the low is very attentive to the fact that all the guests that stay in hotel should be signed and the police should know every body names and datails.Otherwise the hotel could be asked to close..Do you think we could go anyway against our principales and value for a guest that dosen't understand that he reserve a double were 3 people are not allowed.
Also the respect you had was show in the room you left each morning.
Is the first time from the 1954 (hear in wich our family started the buisness)that a made report me the bad condition in wich a guest is reducing a room(dirty indument everywhere,paper all over the room,liquid on the floar).
Let me suggest you to have more respect of the people that works.
Also about the fact that the room was warm is that we had to turn on heating,because other guests in november need it.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I had read the previous reviews and was somewhat apprehensive when booking. However, the hotel exceeded expectations. The hotel was extremely clean ,room was spacious and very comfortable. Very clean bathroom.Our room was down a corridor which gave us peace and quiet even though we could see the station from our window. Tasty and plentiful breakfast was included.The reception area is also very nice - with friendly, fluent English speaking staff .We liked everything about the hotel. It was clean, friendly staff, nice breakfast, and great location (5 min walk to tram stop for the city center- 10 min ride). Nice for us to be out of the crowded city center but easy to go back and forth. We would stay here again when coming to Rome. Overall, a very upmarket feel for such a budget friendly hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jose Manuel M
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Me and my gf stayed here for 3nights from nov 12-16. Room
Was small. Bfast buffet was okay but the worst part is..we have a frend from rome who toured us around the city. 5pm we decided to go back at our hotel.. Suddenly the front desk came after us telling us that they dont allow 3people in the room.. We beg for the manager to have our friend stayed for just an hour but they are soo rude and un apologetic. Definitely not a friendly hotel to go esp when in rome.. Wont go back to this hotel EVER!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank TravelRNsonny

Dear guest Torning ,we are answering you to this review knowing already that you made the same review with another title.
Also the respect you had was show in the room you left each morning.
Let me suggest you to have more respect of the people that works.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

The outside of this hotel leads you to believe it is scummy but its really not. The staff was Very helpful and friendly. The location is incredible! You are walking distance from Termini station which means close to trains and main metro stop... you are also just as close to a metro stop called Castro Pretoris.... which we actually used far more than the termini stop simply because at termini its major crowded and busy.
Our room was very small but we expected this as its typical.... the bathroom was clean and had two choices for toilet which we appreciated very much. We loved that out our window was a little market that set up every day except sunday. We stay here 6 nights and slept well.... the beds are quite firm, but we found we were comfortable anyway.
The breakfast is wonderful! You typically had 2 choices for cereal, 3-5 pastry choices, 2 meats and a YUMMY cheese, plus 2 kinds of juice, water, coffee and espresso options as well as yogurt, fruit and waffles.
I only give 4 in stead of 5 rating for 2 reasons, they charge for internet, 1 euro for use of the computer and 3 euros for wi fi password good for one hour... this isn't the part that bothers me, paying for it is sort of ok... the issue is the internet is SO slow that I was unable to do what I needed in the 30 minutes or hour... this was frustrating to pay for a service that was very slow. The other things is, every day our room was cleaned while we were gone, which I loved, but, they spray some sort of a strong perfume every day that actually burned my throat and eyes each evening, we had to have the window open most of the time to help... there is a musty, smoky smell they are covering up from what I assume is from when they used to allow smoking there.... the smell isn't bad, just the perfumy thing they spray is too strong.
Overall, I would definitely recommend staying here! You cant put a price on location and really, when in Rome, you aren't going to spend much time in your room anyway. It has everything you need at a very good price plus the bonus of helpful staff and wonderful breakfast! Would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple