“Filthy!”
Review of Hotel Executive

Hotel Executive
Ranked #1,126 of 1,268 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We booked this through Last Minute as a secret hotel. When we checked into our room, it was absolutely filthy. I've attached photos to show, but the walls were very dirty, the lamp shades and below the bed especially were full of dust (and a bottle from a prevous guest), the toilet seat was broken, the sink was blocked (again, see pictures to see why) and the whole place was generally dull.

My partner suffers from asthma so it was definetly not possible for us to stay in the room. When I went to complain, I was treated with contempt (I think because of our age, we are both in our early 20's). The person that was on reception was very rude and all he could ask is how come we hadn't spotted it sooner, trying to pin the blame on us basically (we had waited a couple of hours to discuss what we would do and in finding the faults with the bathroom etc). He was the only rude member of staff we did come across however, the other three receptionists we met were lovely, as were the breakfast staff. However, the hotel did eventually change us to a bigger and cleaner room the next day. I assume from this that if you book through the discounted Last Minute price you'll automatically be assigned one of the smaller and less well maintained rooms.

Our last grievance with the rooms is that on our second last day, we had a long lie, and whilst the maids chapped (and came in once to clean, which is fair enough), we told them we were ok for the day. When we went out and came back at night, our room door was lying opened and the room clean! Obviously, I'm not annoyed about the cleaning but it's extemely disturbing that all of our valuables, our passports, clothes, gifts, everything were just lying for anyone to take. Unbelievable for a 4 Star Hotel.

The hotel itself is about 10-15 minutes walk to the Termini Station and about 10-15 to the streets with the main restaurants etc. It was quite secluded as the metro lines were off during our stay in August.

Hopefully this can act as a heads up to anybody going, but I really do wish I had booked another hotel, and especially for the price I'd advise anyone considering that they could easily find a better standard of hotel in a more central location in Rome for a cheaper price. This was the third hotel we stayed in during a holiday in Italy, and it was the only one that really let us down to ruin a part of our holiday.

Room Tip: Only rooms on the first floor have wifi access, otherwise you need to go to the lobby.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Richard B

Reviewed 4 July 2012

After reading some of the reviews here, I was quite terrified of what I was going to see. I was pleasantly surprised. The room (on the 5th floor) was indeed small, but it was pretty much all we needed. The bed was comfortable, the air conditioning worked properly (and the cleaners made sure to turn it on while they cleaned our room, so we would come back from a long day's walk into a nice cool room). The bathroom was also okay, the shower had doors (I read in an earlier review that the shower didn't even have a curtain) and we had a small shelf above the sink to place our stuff on. We consistently had hot water and the water pressure was good.

The television was indeed small and only aired shows in Italian, but if you come to Rome to watch television, that's your problem. I guess that in a country that dubs English movies, you can't expect hotels to air English channels. And although we don’t speak a word of Italian, it was entertaining to catch a glimpse of local TV before we went to sleep.

Breakfast was also okay: a choice between a few buns, croissants, and also packed crackers and toasts, one type of cheese and ham, jams, nutella and butter, granola and cornflakes, yogurt and hard boiled eggs. No vegetables but a great choice of fruit. You can also have cappuccino, espresso or hot chocolate with your breakfast, which was a very nice addition, and the coffee was good.
The elevators are indeed small but not terrible. The main problem is that they were pretty slow.
The receptionists were all helpful (and trust me, we requested their help quite a lot) and were also very nice.

The neighborhood was also nice and safe, and even had a nice cocktail bar and a cute gelateria two minutes away from the hotel. Metro stations are about 15 minutes away by foot, which is not ideal, but there's a bus station right near the hotel that can get you to nice places.

Our only serious problem was with the wireless internet, and you can only access from the lobby or the bottom floors (or you can get poor reception if you're near the window).

Bottom line – maybe not a 4 stars hotel, but it was very decent and pleasant, good value for the amount of money we paid.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Hso88
Reviewed 30 June 2012

If the Executive Hotel in Rome hadn’t charged us nine euros for taxes per person on checkout, I wouldn’t have known that it was (considered) a 4-star property. Nothing about it suggested a four star hotel, from the lack of concierge service to the impractical tiny space that served as our room. About the only good thing I can mention is the fact that it served up a decent complimentary breakfast, but having had no experience with other European hotels, I don’t know if that’s unusual or expected.

I contacted the hotel prior to arriving to see if they could reserve tickets for us for the Vatican Museums - something I had read other hotels were sometimes able to do for their guests so that they didn’t have to commit to buying tickets online for a certain time in order to skip long lineups. This four star property was unable to do this for us, indicating they would have to have our credit card number, etc., etc., when all we wanted was a reserved ticket that we could pick up and pay for once we were there.

When we arrived to the property, we noted - like others have posted - that the elevator is extremely tiny. It states a capacity of four people, but at best, you will barely fit two people with luggage. Our room was on the second floor (third if you consider that the lobby is in the basement), so we used the stairs in order to avoid the slow and claustrophobic elevator(s) - one of which never seemed to be in working order during our stay.

Before I start, let me say that this review mostly relates to the room that we were assigned: 207. Our room consisted of a main area that was no bigger than ten feet by eleven feet, with a desk and chair opposite the bed. On the desk, there was a small TV that offered nothing more than ten or eleven channels in Italian. “Luckily”, we were without our checked baggage for a day (bravo Air Canada), because once we had our full complement of luggage, we basically had nowhere to walk. The bathroom had a corner entry shower stall only (no tub) that - had either one of us been bigger people - we would not have been able to use. The sink was huge - we could have prepped a turkey in it - but it was a pedestal sink that offered no real counter space. (I don’t appreciate having to lay my toiletry bag on top of the toilet seat.) To make matters worse, taking up valuable space in this impractical bathroom was a bidet behind the door. I had to lay my towel across the humongous sink in order to access it after stepping out of the shower, because there were no hooks or racks in easy reach. Whoever designed this room should be forced to live here for a week. We were there for two days and three nights and I have to say that by the end of the stay, I truly hated the place.

And yes, the only mirror is in the bathroom, but the lighting is so poor in there (high ceiling in our room with pot lights) that if you need the mirror to apply makeup, you won’t be able to see much anyway.

The bed was Mexican-style hard and came with three flat pillows.

Amenities include shampoo/body wash, shoe shine/buffer, vanity kit and soap. No shower cap and no face cloths. No clock or radio. No fridge. But there was a safe in the room, so there's a point for them.

As others have reported, you may be asked to leave your key behind when you leave. I say “may” because we weren’t asked to do so the first two times we left, but the third time (a different person at the front desk) basically told us that our room would not be able to be cleaned if we didn’t leave our key. Quite bogus since our room had been cleaned the previous day when we had retained our key. Again, having no experience with European hotels, I don’t know if this is a common (and annoying) practice or if this place is just inadvertently trying its hardest to turn off its guests. I got the feeling that the guy at the front desk would have argued with us over this point, so we did as requested. When we returned in the evening, however, we were not asked for ID before room keys were handed back over to us.

Lest I forget, our room had an enormous balcony attached to it that probably met or exceeded the square footage of the main interior space. While it was nice, it wasn’t exactly private or secure (the two adjacent rooms had balconies sharing the same structure, separated only by a thigh-high wrought iron railing) and I would much rather have had more room inside.

The hotel is located a brisk 15 minute walk from Termini Station (although we found the streets just a bit confusing at this location and walked the wrong way the first time out) or an 8 euro cab ride. There is a grocery store about two and a half blocks away for basic necessities. We took a taxi out to St. Peter’s Square for 10 euros and came back from Trevi Fountain for 8 euros.

Overall, it was fortunate that we were out from morning to evening, because all we needed the room for was to bathe and sleep. However, due to the inadequacies described above, even those simple requirements were hard to meet at the Executive. This hotel was included as part of a pre-cruise package for us, so we had no choice in the matter, but were it up to me, I would definitely stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before you take it as the rooms are not all the same. Our travel companions had...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Boromach
Reviewed 25 June 2012

This is clearly not a 4 star hotel. Maybe a 2 at most. I traveled Europe for 3 weeks and this was the only hotel we stayed in that was not good. Actually, the worst hotel I've ever stayed in and I have traveled a lot in the past few years.

Our first room was on the second floor and there was no internet. The website said you have free-wifi in rooms and in lobby but you only have free wi-fi if you stay in the lobby or are on the first floor of the hotel. The room was also very small and tiny, and had mildew in the bathtub.

I called the front desk and politely told the guy the internet wasn't working and the room smelled like smoke and we do not smoke and don't like the smell. He said there was nothing he could do. I then asked for a manager and he told me he was out of the country but I could talk to him tomorrow. I then said I wanted to speak to him now and he finally agreed to change our room.

He then changed us to a room on the first floor, and although the internet worked, the A/C did not, and this room also smelled like smoke.

There are also stains on all of the carpets in both rooms we were in.

Thank god we were only staying here one night.

Room Tip: wifi does not work on second floor and up. rooms all smell like smoke. air conditioner does not work...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank jg1010
Reviewed 8 June 2012

The hotel is lying by calling itself a 4 star hotel, sorry but if you are expecting this to be true, then you have been lied too. It basically consists of a pokey foyer, dining room and small lounge and the hotel bedrooms.
The lift has to be seen, to be believed, as it is so small. Our bedroom sleeping area was also tiny, it was just over 2.3 metres across, and the whole place was small and pokey. In essence, it was not a place where you would chose to be apart from sleeping.
However, if it is a cheap base for you to use to explore the majestic sights of Rome, then it is ideal. That is what we used it for; being out on the streets of Rome is wonderful. And even if I was staying in one of Rome’s elite Hotel’s, I would not want to stay in the Hotel, as the open air bars and restaurants and magnificent.
Also if you are on business and want a cheap place to stay, then the hotel will be ok.
We walked to the Coliseum from our Hotel in approx. 45 minutes. And a taxi back to the hotel from downtown Rome was approximately 8 Euro’s. There is a taxi rank nearby and we got a taxi to the Vatican, for 10 euro’s as well.
Rome is extremely expensive to eat and drink out in. But there were some great Restaurants around the Hotel, and as all the locals use them, they are good quality and much more reasonable.
If you can afford better then i would say go elsewhere, we wanted to eat out, so the hotel was adequate for our needs.
And if you have Kids, avoid this Hotel, as there is nothing for them to do or go.

Room Tip: I can't imagine that there was a good room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2012

First of all - to enter the hotel you have to go down about 10 stairs - and no one helps you with your suitcases!
So of course - the hotel is not for handicap people.
As others have written - the elevator is tiny, on the third floor there is smell of sewerage in the corridor (at least it doesn't enter the room).
The room is small - there is not enough space to put all your staff out of the suitcase (and if you have more than one suitcase - you have a problem!).
There is not enough space in the bathroom for you staff, & no place to hang the towel to dry your hands (we hang it on the door handle).
The cups (in the bathroom & in the minibar) are plastic.
There is no mirror in the room (only in the bathroom).
The TV is tiny (the size of A4 paper) - but it's not important because all the channels are in Italian!
On the positive side: the towels are nice - big & thick enough, the shower worked very good & had plenty hot water.
About the location - to get anywhere you have to take the bus, it's too far to walk, which is not very comfortable & takes time.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hadas_am
Reviewed 17 May 2012

i thought we would be arriving to a spacious, inviting hotel, but no such thing.
dear trip advisor... would you please ban the use of wide-angle shots by hotels - it is totally misleading and very disappointing when you arrive at your destination.
the place was pokey small, no mirror in the room except in the bathroom which is very annoying if there are 2 people sharing. i agree with the other reviewer, the place had a stale smell about it which you simply couldnt get rid of even by keeping the window open wide for half an hour. hair dryer was coming off the wall and electrically unsafe. breakfast was adequate but didnt change in all our 4 mornings there. the cheese they serve was leathery and tasteless and if you didnt like it, then tough - there was no choice of cheese - given that this is Italy - one would expect a choice of irresistable cheeses. enough said. not the best place to choose - and definitely will not go there again!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple