“Rather two stars than four”
Review of Hotel Executive

Hotel Executive
Ranked #1,129 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 25 November 2012

This hotel has seen better days. The rooms need an upgrade and refreshment. The carpets were very dirty, the toilet seat was damaged and the flushing mechanism got stuck.
The hotel just has a service desk and a breakfast room, no more rooms to sit down and talk/relax.
On the positive side: the staff was friendly and helpful and the breakfast buffet was quite OK. The beds were quite good and our room was silent from the traffic.
The location is a bit off the main tourist area, even though there are buses nearby.
In summary: we have stayed at two star hotels thoughout Europe with higher standard than this!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank grnhnr
There are newer reviews for Hotel Executive

Reviewed 20 November 2012

This hotel is being listed as four stars. Well unless the star system is very different in Rome, it is nowhere near four stars. The whole hotel is pokey and the rooms are minuscule. If you have claustrophobia, the lifts will give you nightmares. Our room looked out over some sort of truck loading area, where work continued, with much crashing and shouting well after midnight. As the air conditioning did not work (turned off from November 1), we had to have the window open with resultant noise and mosquitos. The bathroom was tiny, no plug for the bath and it was dirty. Only one thin pillow was provided. Housekeeping said they did not have any more. The upside is that the downstairs staff were pleasant and ever helpful and the breakfast was adequate but only just. It is not particularly near a metro station and taxis to the central area (Piazza Popolo or Navona) cost around €8-12 dependant on traffic and whether the driver decides to go the pretty way. Wilson

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wilson L
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We were really worried after reading other people's reviews but when my daughter and I stayed for four nights, we felt for the price we paid this hotel was reasonable. Ok it's definitely not 4* - I would say 3* at best but the room was a good size, as was the bathroom. It was cleaned daily and we found that the staff, who appeared initially gruff, were actually very helpful. We weren't thrown by the lack of a kettle as I have found this is often the case on the Continent. Yes there is no decent television but if you just want a base from which to explore, this hotel was a no-frills option. We walked to the City centre and got a taxi back for 10 euros. We booked a shuttle to the airport through our tour operator - much cheaper than a taxi if less convenient. As always, your expectations play a big part in your experience. Oh - good, reasonably priced local restaurants, too.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Beryl G
Reviewed 3 October 2012

We stayed in this hotel in august 2012.
The most anoying thing was no kettle or iron in any rooms bloody disgrace.
The beds were changed with fresh linnen every day which was great, we found the staff polite and helpful.
I would reccomend the owners to give the place a fresh lick of paint in all rooms if they want to attract new and old customers.
Please paint and clean you balconys and get new balcony furniture...spoils the nice view.
This is not a 4 star hotel, more like a 2 to 3 at best.
The breakfast was ok
The location was ideal......nice and quite!
Heres a good tip, when getting into any taxi, bring a city of rome map with you, and point to the location on the map where you want to go - to the taxi driver and pretend to view the map while on route the taxi driver will be less likely to take a longer route "to try and screw you" it works!
There is a taxi rank accross the road from the hotel and the drivers never ripped us off.
Oh yeah we got "viatour" for our skip the lines tours and guides and were worth every cent.
What a bueatiful city.

Room Tip: bring a iron for your clothes!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Rome can be quite busy and very expensive during the summer. Tons of tourists mean lots of hotel room demand and in a market of fixed capacity this means prices go up and up and “you pay for what you get” becomes “you pay”.

The Hotel Executive is an “alleged” 4 star. And that allegation my friends is a dirty nasty rumor and an insult to all other 4 stars (and 2 stars!) out there.

First the positives: Very friendly staff, wireless internet worked (in the lobby and on floor one if you follow the staff’s very precise instructions and heed all their caveats…), clean bathroom.

Negatives? Hmm…Where to start?...

One of two elevators was out of service, but the positive is that the broken one was well marked! :) Lots of deferred maintenance if I can be kind in saying that (see pictures). I would describe the room ambiance as “well lived in” or “contemporary hostel chic”.

I cannot recommend this hotel for anything other than a one night stay ‘cause you wanted to run to Rome for a quick trip, you refused to sleep at the airport, and you’re so cheap you are willing to take a chance on a hotel you know in your gut you shouldn’t book. Well…such was the case for me at the time…:)

This is not the hotel to book for that once in a lifetime romantic trip to Rome unless the two of you are so truly in love that you only need each other and so the dirty carpet and the beat up walls don’t matter. Save your pennies and upgrade and this experience will not be cited in the divorce papers!

“Spartan” would be the absolutely most positive thing I could say about this place if I could say something absolutely positive.

The bathroom was clean. I only stayed one night. The Hotel Executive prevented me from bankrupting my “austerity” budget.

The staff were so apologetic when presenting me the separate 6 euro/per night Roma Capitale tax bill for a “4 star hotel”. I was so livid I laughed…I get the feeling other guests may NOT have reacted the same way, but I had no time to argue whether the city of Rome had erred in rating the Hotel Executive 4 star. I just wanted to leave (and not come back).

Maybe I should have slept at the airport…

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank inspector12
Reviewed 4 September 2012

My tour operator booked this hotel and it was shocking to check in. the hotel is far from the airport and away from the city center. Taxi charged 85 Euro to take us to this hotel. Airconditioning was weak and the room ws hot as oven in August. The tv was 1 inche bigger than my lap top, The sofas were small and dirty. The hotel room had no kettle or tea cofee facility. I dont know how this hotel got 4 stars. i will not recommend this hotel for stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank hidayattaj
Reviewed 29 August 2012

,although it's located a little further than the center of the city, around 30 minutes walk, it is a great hotel, and i could say that its worth the money i spent on it. the reception people were very nice and helpful and helped me with every question i had. the breakfast was great. i was a bit disappointed that there was no refrigerator in the room, and that there was wi-fi only at the lobby. other than that, a really good hotel, which i would definitely revisit if i come to rome again

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family