“Too much trouble”
Review of Hotel Executive

Hotel Executive
Ranked #1,135 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 8 January 2014

When we arrived early in the morning, the receptionist had a disappointed look in his eyes: "You don't have to wait until three o'clock, you can go to you're rooms right now: unfortunately, the hotel is empty". Wonder why...
Our bedroom had a awkward stink coming from the old stained carpet. It was all over the corridor, so I guess it is a pervasive bad odor. If it is ok for you, go ahead.
After all, the location is nice: a bit far away from the main tourist attractions, therefore, you can enjoy Rome without being always surrounded by the crowds of tourists that come to the city.
Despite the terrible smell, the room is ok: the furniture is a little bit old (and so is the tv), the bed is not a wonderfully comfortable bed, but it's reasonable for a few night if you are not a demanding person.
The breakfast is fine, with a good selection of items.
Most of the staff is kind and gentle, except for a very specific rude man that luckily you'll never meet.
A deep refit would make this hotel a marvelous place for everyone, but, for now, just pick it if you're not picky at all (and you can't find / afford anything better.)

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Edooardo

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Cleanliness staff do a great job. The carpets are stained, but I didn't feel like in a dirty place. The shower is great, just a pity it's without a curtain. Polite, welcoming and effective front desk staff. This hotel serves a rich continental breakfast.
Very effective central heating.
Buses some steps from the hotel. To the metro station 15 min walk.
5 min walk and you can buy drinks and food at a supermarket. We got a room with a mini fridge.
You have to go down stairs (about 10 stairs) to get in or out the hotel.
I liked this place but I wouldn't recommend it for a couple on their honeymoon.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I booked this hotel through Expedia's "Unpublished Rate Hotels" where you get an area and a price, but not the name of the hotel until you book it. In this case, it was a big mistake. The people at the hotel were nice enough, but overall this place was dingy, outdated, and not worth the over $100/night that I paid for it at all. When I checked in after 10 p.m. due to a late flight, I was informed that there was a problem and that they were sending me to another hotel for the night. I was given a map, and had to walk several blocks with my luggage to the other hotel. The next morning, I had to transfer back to the Hotel Executive (again, walking down the street with my luggage.) When I finally got into the room, I found it dingy and outdated. The rugs were stained, the orange and blue decor was bizarre, and the one chair in the room was falling apart. It was clean as far as towels and sheets, but the room overall was depressing. My room did have a lovely balcony, but when I walked out in the morning, it was covered with cigarette ashes and butts from the floors above me. The breakfast was not impressive - a few crossaints, some ham and cheese, and hard-boiled eggs, although the cappuccino was good. The location was really too far away from central Rome. After walking around all day, I always wound up taking a taxi back to the hotel, which ranged from 10-17 euros each time. This hotel was advertised as FOUR STARS. No way.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Peg S
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Nice hotel
the location is very good, you can walk from the hotel to every spot in Rome,
the room is ok, very standart, the toilets are clean
the staff are very helpful and nice
its not a 4 star, but we really enjoyed it
Thanks

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank Valentina O
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. It was ok. I got a view to the city, which was nice. The wifi worked in my room. The breakfast was fine, coffee, bread, ham. However, it can be a bit crowded and you probably want to be an early bird to get a table. The staff was ok. I didn't have any problems with them. I use the metro which was about 10 min away from the hotel. Overall, the hotel was adequate.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank itsJme
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We spent two nights in this hotel prior to boarding a cruise ship for a week, and then one night before our return home to Canada. The entrance is at street level, and then down a staircase. The lobby is only one loveseat big, with the dining room adjoined. The dining room only comfortably holds about half the guests. The rest must wait or dine standing. We walked everywhere as taxis charge from the time they are dispatched, starting off with at least a 8 euro charge on the meter. We found this hotel to be in a fair location for walking, taking us aprox half an hour to get to the main tourist area of Rome - ie. the Trevi fountain, Spanish Steps, etc. This is a true European hotel, so beware if you're coming from North America and expect North American Standards. The elevator (and thankfully this hotel had one) honestly fit two adults, and two suitcases. The elevator door was as wide only as my bag. We had quite a laugh over this. The rooms and beds are clean, but stark. The bathroom certainly was clean to North American standards. We couldn't find a stopper for the tub and had to wad up toilet paper in a baggie. I needed to phone Canada, and couldn't dial out, and the fellow at the front desk was simply rude to me when I asked him for help. He would NOT help, and I never did get to complete my call. Perhaps this happens everywhere?! The continental breakfast was cold but sufficient, with only butter for condiments. Mustard would have been nice for a ham and cheese croissant. Every continental breakfast is a different story. Nice to have free wi-fi with just a code from the front desk. On our last evening, we were offered a room with a small terrace; sadly we were exhausted and couldn't even enjoy it. I think I'd ask if a terrace were available right off next time . We did buy a bottle of wine at a local grocery, and they allowed us to drink it in their dining room while we played a game. They even offered us their corkscrew as we didn't have one. Overall a quaint hotel, clean, quiet - no complaints really.

Room Tip: ask for a terrace if you're so inclined. They do have them.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ramriverhiker
Reviewed 22 August 2013

All it takes is one rude person to destroy the work of the rest of the staff. The man who works at the front desk is abrupt, rude, and discourteous. He charged us 16 euros for city tax, even though priceline said extras are only for incidentals and not taxes. First time in my use of priceline did a hotel charge for taxes (over 30 hotels booked). It wasn't much, but it was the principle. The man gives very bad direction, is rude when you ask him to pin point it on the map, and when he does pin point it, you are about 3 to 4 blocks away from your intended target. The hotel is in a great location, 50 meters from the bus stop for bus 80 (to colosseum), 80B (express to imperial palace), 38 (to train station). Just remember that the 38, 80, and 80B has two stop, one around the corner (you can see it from the first stop). Make sure you recognize the two stops, as the bus drivers are too busy to help you to identify the stops, or ask the local to point it out to you in the bus. You are about 100 meter from the stop for the 63 and 83 bus, which will take you to the spanish steps. Remember to cross the street to go to opposite direction. The included breakfast for me was great, canned fruits, croissant, rolls, boiled eggs, ham and cheese. Coffee is fresh brewed in an expresso machine. Tea, juice, carbonated and bottled water for breakfast. Internet is very weak, and the staff is rude when you ask them about location of the router, only saying it works fine for them. There are 3 signals, 2 very strong, but you rarely can connect (unless they tell you where the router is, which the rude man will not), the weakest one is the one you can connect to, but only in the garden or the window by the garden. The other two signals, much stronger, is too distorted by the cement buiding to connect properly. It is a shame, this hotel could charge much much more, if only they are more corteous to the staff. I would pay twice as much only if they are fair, as the building and room is beautiful. They need to replace the caulk with mould resistant caulk, change the shower glass to a curtain, or clean it better. Cleaning staff need to be advised not to put clean towel in the bideux, as it is dirty. Get rid of the singular rude man in the lobby, and the stars rating will rise at least one if not two. Unfortunately, he probably is the property manager..... You can not gain respect unless the manager is also pleasant.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends