My partner booked this hotel because it was in a good location with ok reviews and was one of the cheaper options with internet in the room.
I'll just keep this review to the point...
- good location, short walk to Termini or Republic metro stations
- short walk from many touristy places to eat, but also a DeSpar grocery store outside Termini station (which we got our lunch from so as to not spend all our money)
- nice TV, small desk, extra pillows, heavy blanket just in case, and street noise is reduced enough to get a good night sleep.
- free wireless internet in room (which can be slow, but gets the job done)
- cute room design
- fairly quiet in regards to internal hotel noise
- closet to hang clothes, safe, mini-bar which you can put your own things in if you're clever enough to fit them
- Excellent towels, amenities, and cleaning service
- Friendly staff at front desk (but JUST the front desk!!)....
- in-house buffett breakfast with baked goods made elsewhere (but, see below...)
- POOR ELECTRONIC OUTLET LOCATION. Behind bed and for the TV and fridge. Expect to move the bed or unplug tv if you need to charge anything. Only open one is near the hair dryer in the bathroom.
- Bed is way too soft and old, and the springs are starting to give in and it constantly creaks.
- Pillows too thick, so if you use two to sleep, one might be just enough or just barely enough.
- Room way too small, no room to put your things really without blocking walking space.
- Shower tiny - expected for Europe/UK but I can't stand showers made for 12-year-olds.
- Shower doors will leak if you don't align the two moving doors in a perfect right-angle. (This is often a complaint about this hotel and I immediately noticed why the bathrooms might floor, particularly if the drain is slow).
- Bathroom small but paticularly the sink counter area, and the lightswitch is in the main room.
- The Breakfast Buffet. Ohhh dear. Now, I'm glad we didn't have to go searching for a busy cafe for breakfast, but this buffet is definitely not worth 10eur per person per meal. The first morning was ok, I had bleh looking scrambled eggs that tasted fine and many baked goods, olives, some deli meat, and dried fruit. But the second morning.... I opened the scrambled egg server and was turned off but what looked like green within the yellow. I got a whiff of it and sure enough it smelled completely rotten. Others near me were eating it and I could smell it from the next table over. It was completely off-putting. I didn't mention it to the waiter because he would have cared. That was the other problem... The head waiter is completely lazy and doesn't give a good goddamn about anyone who comes to breakfast nor does he clean tables in a timely fashion. The second morning was incredibly busy, making breakfast a speedy, unenjoyable, be-bumped-by-your-neighbor experience. There is too many tables and not enough room. The buffet table in the middle of the room should be removed and the selection should be condensed so that there is less variety but more quality food. The only plus about this buffet is that the baked foods, cereal, muesli, fruit, nuts, are not prepared by the staff, so you know they are ok to eat.
Also, the coffee comes from a machine, but the cappuccinos aren't bad.
Tip to travellers: Eat your self sick at breakfast on the safe foods. It is not worth 10eur, so save yourself an expensive lunch and eat a big breakfast and even stash an apple or sealed pack of cookies or something for later. Make as many cappuccinos-from-a-machine as you like. Just don't expect to be able to stay more than 30 minutes... you won't want to anyway, with all the other hotel guests squeezing past you to get to their seat and hovering around the buffet in a chaotic fashion.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Agoda, Odigeo, Eurostars, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Exe Domus Aurea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eurostars Domus Aurea Rome
- Eurostars Domus Aurea Hotel Rome