“Tired rooms but grand lobby & great location”
Review of Grand Hotel Plaza

Grand Hotel Plaza
Ranked #674 of 1,261 Hotels in Rome
Reading, United Kingdom
“Tired rooms but grand lobby & great location”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

With the Spanish Steps and the underground close by this hotel is in a great location. On arrival you´ll find a small reception which open to a very grand ground floor as found in the many photos.

If only the service and rooms could keep up with this impressive statement. Our room was very tired with an old TV and very few channels to entertain. The shower had no curtain which meant unavoidable flooding of the bathroom.

The service was amiable but very slow at times. Also don´t ask for advice as options given are only the most expensive which we were really disappointed in. Every other top hotel we´ve stayed in give a range from sensibly priced upwards.

My advice find somewhere nicer, a bit further out but close to an underground station.

Room Tip: Choose elsewhere! Or see if they have an offer on the hotel´s own website you can get by going direc...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 19 July 2013

WOW this hotel has FREE internet and it works throughout the hotel. The staff were very friendly. The hotel is a bit old fashioned but has a charm of its own. However free internet - no need to login with 15 digit passwords etc.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Hotel is just 2 minutes from Spanish steps and off the main shopping street.
Staff very friendly, complimented by beautiful ornate surroundings.
Room v clean and comfortable.
good for both biz travellers and leisure
free wifi which was a bonus!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I saw the reviews on trip advisor about this hotel and wouldn't have stayed here if my friend hasn't already made bookings. So I decided to upgrade my room to one with a balcony. Once I entered the room at 4 pm, the room was in shambles. The bed wasn't made, towels were everywhere in the bathroom and the door to the balcony was opened. I immediately went down to front desk and told them about it. A 5 star hotel should not let your guest get a key to an unmade room. I didn't even check-in early. The lady on the front desk (which was a different one from the one I checked-in with) immediately gave me a free drink coupon for the bar and told me to wait. Luckily the lobby/bar waiting area was exquisite. Upon seeing me sitting for a while they decided to give me a different room. The room was nice and spacious. Very well appointed with sitting areas, large bathroom, and large balcony. The only down side of the room was the bed which is metal frame and creaks loudly when you get on it. The mattress should also be upgraded as it wasn't elevated from lots of use on one side.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews on this hotel I was a bit scared of what the experience would be like so my expectations were set very low. I travel very often for business and stay in very nice hotels so wasn't sure what to expect here...but really it was quite good. I decided to surprise my parents and take along my 12 year old son so this was one of the few hotels that had a family apartment consisting of two adjoining rooms and a shared bathroom. From the moment I inquired with the hotel the experience was great, Lisa and Lani in the Sales Department were extremely helpful in ensuin I received the best rate and for the car pickup from the airport. Check in was a breeze and again very pleasantly greeted ( big difference from what others had to say). The room was big by European standards, high ceilings and a huge bathroom. Yes the rooms are a bit dated but it adds to te charm of staying in a building founded in 1860. Breakfast had a decent assortment served in a grand room...we were always greeted warmly and the staff took kind attention to my mom who ha difficulty walking, special coffee orders such as cappuccino and dopio espresso were not an issue. Our room was made by the time we arrived back after a long day. After eight days ( we are actually checking out tomorrow -July 3) we felt quite comfortable here..not to mention the hotel is right in te heart of Rome, close to the Spanish steps tons of great restaurants and shopping and most of the sites we even walke to the Vatican twice from here. Overall a great experience for my 5th time in Roma and I would he. I hesitation staying at the Grand Plaza again. Mr. Alaimo.

• Stayed June 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

I did not like the rooms they are old and they did not think to add any thing to it
The service is very pooooooooor they do not think they do not want to help
They did not clean the room till I have asked them 2 times and it was 4pm and they did not clean the room they act they did
The room is not clean
But the lobby was nice
Do not stay in this hotel

• Stayed June 2013

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I recently stayed at the Grand Plaza with my husband on a business trip. The hotel is overall in a good location, though the main street it is on is a busy one. You can see that it used to be a grand and lovely hotel-many years ago. However, it is definitely dated and it needs to be redone. There were stains on the curtains in our room and the walls were dirty. During our three night stay our minibar was not restocked and the toiletries in the bathroom were not replenished for two of the three nights. We were never greeted by anyone when entering or exiting the hotel. There is an overall lack of attention to detail. For the price that they charge, I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. The only good thing I can say is that the room was of good size and it was dark which made sleeping easy. We moved to another hotel in Rome for our last night and had a completely different experience for less money even. Our new hotel was lovely and a significant improvement from the Grand Plaza.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business