“Not quite what I expected.”
Review of Grand Hotel Plaza

Grand Hotel Plaza
Ranked #712 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Hotel definitely has a great location. Central to many of the attractions (about 2 blocks from the Sapnish steps). Some of the best shopping in Rome is right down the street. The hotel needs a major update. Carpet and elevators smell terrible. Although the room was spacious, the bed was really hard with a huge bump in the middle. Pillows felt like rocks. Walls are very thin. Must of been amazing back in the day but needs a lot of love at the moment. The staff was not particularly friendly. I would not go back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gabriela S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,447)

Reviewed 22 September 2013

The staff at this hotel was incredibly rude. I dress very casually on vacations since it is my time to relax/unwind (shorts/golf shirt), and as I walked into this hotel I was "greeted" by the porter/bellboy who told me "This is not Zara shopping" after taking one look. I asked him to repeat himself and he said to same thing again. I then asked if he has a problem with me being there, or if I am not allowed to be in his hotel, at which point he walked away rudely. I turned to the concierge and the reception at the front desk to ask if it is NOT ok for me to be in their hotel, and was spoken to in the same rude tone.

Not to play the racist card but being a Chinese man dressing casually I felt like I was profiled because the staff thinks I cannot afford to stay at their "5 star" hotel.

My advice would be : DO NOT stay at this hotel. As tourists we are paying their bills and pouring tons of money into this city/country. Why should we be treated this way? Take your money and business to someone who appreciates it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank L H
Reviewed 14 September 2013

First I have been going there for thirty five years. Few hotels in this price range have the location that this hotel does. You can come out to the right and Piazza del Popolo is just up the street, turn left and the street leads to the Spanish steps ... walk straight out the front and you are crossing the river ... all within six blocks at most. All the sites are within easy walking distance. They are working on improving the front desk. Which can be very confusing.
The rooms are older and only some of the bathrooms have been remodeled to a more modern appearance. But the entire lobby and really the dining area is beautiful. It has a rich history and if you appreciate that decor you can find none better. The issue is that if you come in early, the rooms are not as available and you can get some substandard rooms. This trip we came in late in the afternoon and they gave us the best room I had ever had in the hotel. It was five star all the way. It is a hidden gem waiting for someone with marketing to open it up. Great veranda but you have to go to the bar and buy your drink and take it up there.... lot of battles over breakfast and now I think they are just too high but you can walk a block and get a reasonably priced breakfast. I would say that this time they were much more focused on customer service than I had seen them in a while... and most importantly the internet worked perfectly... it is all about location... and this has great location, history and reasonable prices in the area. It is better than a four star but not a five star... good value with great location in an architectural gem.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Location first: It's "on the spot". Just 10-20 slow walking to famous place like Travi fountain, Spainish steps, fashion street (beware! it's big branded name that your wife always asking for!!), Piazza del Popolo, Palazzo del Parlamento, etc, etc (check google map for more). Another 20-30 minutes more will bring you across the river to enjoy so many architectures.

Best of all : San Carlo al Corso Basilica is just in front of the hotel. You can wait patiently and peacefully for your friend inside, for free. Don't forget to turn your camera gears'sound down and use no flash.

Hotel : It's, very, VERY old. Lobby and restuarant decorations are not 'being made to look old" but straight from the past. Art works to say about! Take you time to look and appreciate it. That's one of the reason why we choose this hotel. Wonder how people can keep this artworks passthrough years.

Room : Too 'big' for one people stay! In fact, it can accomodate 3-4 people who are not demand for perfection.
Decorations are also straight from tens of years ago.
Some people say it's so cold. I don't understand. I come from Thailand which average night temperature around 30-35 degree celcius (aroud 95 F). But I sleep like cold turkey every night until morning call.

Room is cleaned every day.

Breakfast : That's "why" the rating drop to 4 stars. Just --Eat to Live--. That's all.

Service : Help yourself, mostly. No porter. Elevator is 'very' old style but works perfectly.

Room Tip: Room at the back of the hotel is very quiet, but rather 'far away'.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 September 2013

My husband and I moved to this hotel from another close by because the first hotel (which had great ratings ?!@) had poorly working a/c. We first asked the desk staff if they could show us a room, as we wanted to be sure we weren't trading from one bad place to another. The room they showed us was very cool (working a/c), the bed was modern and ten times more comfortable than the first hotel we stayed at), and although the hotel is a little dated, it was comfortable, conveniently located, and the staff were very helpful. We ordered room service one night and the food was excellent. The breakfast had a decent variety and the food was good.

The hotel is located iwthin walking distance (if you're in shape) or economical taxi distance of most of Rome's sites, like the Vatican and the Colosseum.

I saw some of the bad reviews below, but our experience was quite positive (especially considering we spend our first night in Rome sweating in a room with poor a/c).

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Crackers G
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We were with a tour group that chose this hotel for us, it was not our pick. When we first checked in (which took forever) we were given a smoking room. We went back to the front desk to ask for a non smoking room. They managed to find on for us & it was way in the back of the hotel, the hallways were not lit in some areas & there were no windows so it was a creepy vibe because the lighting was fluorescent & flickering off & on. The room was spacious & that's all I will give it. It had old worn & tired furniture along with water damage on the ceiling & walls, missing light bulbs in fixtures & very poor water pressure. We had extended our stay in Rome after the tour so needless to say we were stuck at this horrible hotel for our dream vacation in such an amazing city. Do not use this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank M3691224
Reviewed 28 August 2013

This hotel was wonderful. Large rooms, great air conditioning and old world luxury. So many of the Hotels in Rome have small rooms, and no other amenities, but this hotel is beautiful. The architecture is something to see even if you don't stay here so visit the lobby. Shopping is great right on Via Del Corso. Food was spectacular and the room service food was great.

Room Tip: I think all of the rooms are wonderful. They showed us several to choose from when we showed up.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple