“Nice Hotel, good for groups”

BEST WESTERN Hotel Roma Tor Vergata
Ranked #681 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
cochin
“Nice Hotel, good for groups”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

I stayed here with a group. It's a good 4 star hotel which for sure is not good for individual to visit Rome, but for sure for the groups it's good. I prefer a decent place outside than a congested hotel 3* in the centre. If you are in a group you will enjoy it. Breakfast was good.

Room Tip: may be ask for a higher floor room
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank biju_10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lulea, Sweden
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

I’ve just arrived back home after a 7 night stay at Best Western Tor Vergata. I have absolutely nothing positive to say about the hotel. It is located far, far away from the city centre in a shady and rundown area, making it hard to enjoy the nights in central Rom since it is almost impossible to get back to the hotel later than midnight without spending a fortune on taxi.

I didn’t manage to find the swimming pool that is stated in the hotel description. Maybe it is closed or maybe it does not even exist. The beds were rock hard and some kind of rubber protection under the sheet made you feel like you were in a hospital.

Since we had a group booking of 12 rooms we had to eat our breakfast in the basement instead of the terrace at the 5th floor where individuals could enjoy their breakfast. The breakfast in the basement was very simple compared to the one on the 5th floor so the last days we ate up there anyway. Since we were a group we were not allowed to use the free hotel shuttle to the metro station so we had to take the local bus.

On the third morning I woke up and found that mice had bitten their way into my hand luggage, the bag had several holes in it. The hotel manager did not seem to care so much, I had to force him to apologize for the inconvenience and after a long discussion he agreed on compensating me for the bag. He was arrogant and nonchalant and kept saying that it wasn’t his hotel and he couldn’t do anything because “this is Italy”. Totally outrageous behavior and a complete lack of customer service!

We changed room and did not keep anything on the floor for the rest of the stay. Apparently the entire floor (3rd) seems to have a mice problem that the management will not admit. We found droppings on the floor in the bathroom in our new room and friends staying in another room on the same floor also found evidence of the mice.

So stay as far away from this hotel as you can, there is absolutely no reason to book it as it will ruin your entire stay in beautiful Rome. And finally, the grading of the hotel is a joke. I’ve stayed in hostels that were better than this “4 star hotel”.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank Sofia L

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Austria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

When I stayed in this hotel about a year ago, the new C-line metro was still under construction, as it seems for many other reviewers also here. Until the line is open, its fairly difficult to access the hotel from central Rome.

Otherwise the hotel was good, standard BestWestern, but had serious electricity issues (many power cuts) and very inefficient networking. Considering the costs, I did choose another more central property when visited Rome next time. However when the C-line is operating I am happy to try this property again, hoping they have solved the other issues.

Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Fuchu, Japan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

If you'd like to enjoy your trip to Rome for sight seeing in a relaxed way, choose this hotel in suburb of Rome. The neighborhood is silent residential area, you can go to shopping local shop to purchase anything you need for the trip. Wireless LAN is available to access internet comfortable.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Mits I
Sabah, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

I was in a pilgrimage group, visiting basilicas and other holy places in Rome. For some reason, the tour operator placed us in this hotel, which was about 40 minutes from Rome. Not sure if the 40 minutes is due to the jam because there was one time it took us only 30 minutes (but perhaps the bus driver was in a hurry). The hotel itself is very comfortable (about 3.5 star). Although I did have a problem with the airconditioning. Apparently if the window is open, the aircon is wired to switch off. But in my room, even when the window is shut, the aircon refused to be switched on. For all three nights I was there, I had to keep calling hotel staff to fix the problem. Some of my friends said it wasn't a problem as it was already quite cold outside. However I need the airconditioning on as it was the only way I could get good air circulation. I do not dare leave the window open for security issues. I would be worried about criminals climbing in in the middle of the night. As a woman travelling and staying in hotels, I have learned to be very very paranoid about security. Anyway, regarding the air circulation problem, the first night was bad. I woke up with the air con off and a terrible migraine (which is due to bad air circulation).

Wifi is available and free. The only thing is that you need to generate the code from the TV set and it has to be renewed every 24 hours. Well, this isn't really a big deal. Except for the fact that my TV set refused to generate the code for me. I had to ask a friend in another room for the code. And there is no sharing of code.

Breakfast was robust. By that I mean, there were limited choices but plenty of what they had. There was bacon, poached eggs, ham, cereals, breads, buns, cakes, pastries, three types of juices, coffees, teas, milk. They even had prepacked biscuits (very handy for travellers). The only issue I had was with the registration at the breakfast room door. There were fifty of us in that pilgrimage group and we had early morning starts every day. At 630 a.m. every morning, fifty of us would be queueing so that one hotel staff (only ONE!) could tick our room numbers off on his or her list. Then we would be directed to a counter to get our trays, china plates, papers napkins, plastic cups and cutlery. Very cafeteria style. The first morning took us a long time. We got smarter the next day by working together to lay out many trays on a nearby table and just quickly placing the plates n cutlery on them for our friends to grab and go. I thought that the hotel staff should have done this. If I were to return on another visit to Rome, I wouldn't stay at this hotel. Unless I was visiting Tor Vergata. I didn't see many places near Tor Vergata. Just the highway, some shops nearby (laundry, sundry goods shop etc) and residential areas. But for those on their way out of Rome, this is a good place to stop for the night.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

We stayed at the hotel in the hotel in April 2012 for a city break, what appealed to us most was the value for money for this "4 Star Hotel".

However the Hotel is certainly not of 4 Star standard.

The following is a list of issues that we had with the hotel:

- The biggest disappointment of all was the fact that the hotel was listed as having a swimming pool, however this was shut during our stay, with no mention of this prior to booking. The swimming pool was the main reason for us choosing this hotel

- Poor Service - We booked a double bed with a cot, however we received no cot and twin beds, when we raised the issue we were made to feel petty and the resolution was to combine the two beds together, which was most uncomfortable.

- Poor location - we did expect the hotel to be a short distance from Rome, however the Journey times were about 30mins from the nearest metro and then a further 15 mins to Central Rome.
If you miss the shuttle bus service the only way back is by catching a bus as it is too far to walk.

- Hotel Shuttle Service - This was provided on set times every day and felt like a blessing once we realised how far this was from Rome, however the shuttle service did not always run as advertised with very little communication to cancellations - which on one occasion left us stranded with my 14 month old son in a suburb of Rome.

- Cleanliness - Although the room was cleaned on a daily basis, the attention to detail was terrible as we had large gatherings of dust under the bed, which did not move for the duration of our stay.

- Noisy - The hotel is situated in a large residential area and near a Hospital, which made it difficult to sleep at night with an array of activity going on outside. Also we could here the guests in the room next door. There was also a disturbing creaking noise at night, not sure where it was coming from.

- Light - The hallway light would come through into the room.

- And a final kick in the teeth was a city tax of 3 Euros per adult per night, which we were unaware of at the time of booking.

The few positives were -

- Breakfast - a good selection of Food and very helpful and welcoming staff.

- Shuttle Bus Driver - the main driver for the shuttle bus service was very friendly and helpful and on one occasion waited for us as we were late getting back for the final bus service.

Overall we feel this hotel is not deserving of the 4 Star rating and the location is too far away for someone who wishes to experience the beauty of Rome at night.

Rome is a wonderful City and is probably best admired if staying in the City Centre, paying that little bit more for convenience would have probably made our stay a little more enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Istanbul, Turkey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

The hotel is in the most distant corner of the Rome, probably even Roman Empire. Commute from your house, probably it will take less time to reach Rome. No meaningful transport way. Hotel rooms are good but location is not for the traveler who wants to see Rome.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends