“Will not stay here again.”
Review of Hotel San Giusto

Hotel San Giusto
Ranked #1,088 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
Chicago, Illinois
“Will not stay here again.”
Reviewed 18 July 2011

The best thing the Hotel San Giusto has going for it is its relatively convenient location. It is just steps from Metro line A, which runs directly to Termini station, the Colosseo and Circus Maximus. There is also a full-service supermarket (with a fantastic bakery and deli) just outside the hotel entrance, which was great for picking up snacks and bottled water.

Now the bad stuff. The room was TINY and very difficult to move around in, and while it had an ensuite bathroom with shower, it took over 5 minutes for the shower water to warm up. The room did have a private air-conditioner, which worked well. The cable tv is all Italian tv stations, with the exception of CNN in English. There was a good-sized fridge in the room, with plenty of room for non-mini-bar items. The room was not very clean -- it had a musty smell and every day, the maid left the windows open to air out the room.

We had problems at the very beginning with the Hotel San Giusto, which were sort-of fixed, but it was very frustrating. When I booked the room, I made sure to reserve a double-bed room. And my reservation stated on its face that it was a double bed room reservation. When I called to confirm, the hotel clerk said that it was a single twin bed room! After much arguing with the clerk, I thought it was resolved. Until I got there, and they told me that it was a 2 twin bed room, not the double bed room I had booked. Also, despite the fact that reservation states that check-in is at 1:00pm, they will not let you check-in until 2:30pm, which was a huge hassle. Every day there were guests in the lobby waiting to be able to check-in. The breakfast provided is plentiful, but average. They have bread, cold-cuts, cheese, sweet rolls, juice and coffee (often cold). Tables were often not re-set after earlier diners had eaten breakfast.

While the location was convenient, I would not stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2011

As frequent visitors to Rome, my wife and I have just returned from another trip having stayed at the San Giusto for the 3rd time. Our last stay was over 5 years ago and I must admit that having read some of the bad reviews on this site, I was concerned that the hotel had changed during that period. I need not have worried.

We were also accompanied by our friends and when we arrived we were given two very comfortable rooms on the 4th floor. The rooms were clean and were cleaned daily. They had Air-Conditioning units and we kept our room at a very comfortable 21C throughout our 7-day stay whilst the Roman temperature soared to 32C by the end of the week. The double glazed French windows and the outside shutters kept the noise levels from the street to a minimum and therefore sleeping was not a problem.

Some of the staff at the hotel can be a little curt and this may come across as being rude to some guests, however I personally think that this may just be a "city phenomena" which I have also experienced in Paris and in my own hometown, London. Having said that, there is a charming gentleman receptionist called Fabio who is was extremely helpful and very friendly to us.

The San Giusto also provides a wonderful breakfast each day (from 7am to 10 am) in a clean and airy breakfast room. The lovely Signora who lays out the breakfast and makes tea and coffee for the guests, constantly replenishes any items that may have run out (even towards the end of service) She is another member of the team who is always polite and helpful to her guests. The breakfast buffet consists of cold meats; cheese; bread; yoghurt; eggs; cereal; fruit juice; fruit cocktail and the most wonderful cakes (cornetti).

My only complaint about the hotel is that there is no lift until you reach the 1st floor. We were offered the services of a bell boy but we managed to carry our cases to the 1st floor as the stairs are not steep. The corridors were always very hot on our floor but there were windows that could be open if needed.

When I return to Rome again I will have no hesitation in booking a stay at the San Giusto again.

Piazza Bologna is a heavily populated area, as is Rome in general but it is a nicer than the area around Termini where there are many other hotels. P. Bologna has quite a few restaurants, pizzerias and cafes nearby, so there are never a shortage of places to eat. The metro is very handy for getting into the centre and there are many bus routes which pass through the area. (However both the metro and buses get very busy so personal security must be a priority at all times)

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tony_orrell
Malverne, New York
Reviewed 9 June 2011

I stayed here for several nights while on a tour of Italy. It is well situated in Rome, right near the subway station. There is great food just a short walk away, in almost every direction you go. The room was frequently cleaned, and well maintained. One warning, the elevator is only accessible from the second floor and up, which means that you have to carry your luggage up a flight of stairs before you can reach it! That could be difficult for some people...

There is a nice terrace on the 4th or 5th floor that has some outdoor seating, and there is also some space on the roof of the building (accessible via elevator).

Overall, a decent place to stay.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank ImraanK
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed 10 April 2011

It certainly is good value for the money - room are ceaned daily, as it should be, the breakfast is nice and the lady serving it is really friendly. We read the reviewes before going and I am gratefu to the person who had written to try to be far from the elevator - he hadn't explained why, so we just took it - and thank God! :) because we found out that this strange elevator anounces in very high volume every time it reaches the first floor. :)
But otherwise the hotel is nice, clean, and the staff is friendly. We liked it.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2010

On first entering the lobby there is a distinct smell of damp - it's an old building and renovation is patchy in places. If you like 60s decor then this is the place for you. The shower in the room didn't work properly - we had to wait 5 minutes for hot water to arrive and the cubicle didn't drain immediately. The room wasquite shabby with 60s bedspreads and as it was at the back of the hotel with a depressing view of tenements / pigeon droppings / cigarette butts down below. The door to the bedroom was slightly off its hinges with evidence of a botched diy job as an attempt at repair. Breakfast was really nothing special - no hotplate for coffee / hot water just one of those awful machines. Mini bar / fridge in room had some black mould - yuk We did have some drinks on first night and made a really careful note of what we'd used so I was really annoyed when I went to settle that they'd calculated slightly differently from us - I know it's just a couple of euros but it just seemed to sum up the place.
This is also the only hotel I've ever been to where they make you settle up in advance - now I can see why.
Staff are superficially polite but the thin veneer rubs off if you interrupt them at the wrong time or dare to complain about anything
My advice is shop around - there must be better than this for your money.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank hyperreal

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

uk
Reviewed 8 July 2010

The room is small and very dirty. I can feel the dust on the table! also the carpet is very dirty with some dirty water. The air-conditioner was not working!!!! How to stay in Rome in summer with out air-conditioner, we argued with hotel, however, they rejected with very rude attitude. All these are not the large problem. The largest problem is that in the room, the ghost exits...I can really not belive what I experienced. When I was sleeping, the whole room shaked just like earthquake. At that time I though it was earthquake maybe and continued to sleep, however, it shaked again. i could not sleep anymore and went down with my bf and stayed the night in the lobby. The service person in the hotel said they did not have any spare room so we had to stay in the lobby. What a rubbish hotel.!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank ukgloria
Oakley, California
Reviewed 24 June 2010

My 17 year old daughter and I stayed here for her graduation trip while in Rome. The night we arrived we were greeted by the moldy smell of the lobby and the smell of cigarette smoke everywhere in the hotel. The elevator wasn't working so we had to lug our suitcases up 2 flights of stairs and nothing but the lobby was air conditioned. The room was clean enough but the air didn't work very well. I brought this up to the night desk clerk and he was extremely rude and said " just turn it on and it will work"!

We got absolutely nowhere with him the entire time we were there. We actually observed him get quite angry with a guest because she was asking for directions to a restaraunt and he told her he didn't have time to help her and she was taking up to much of his time. We did get some help from the day clerk who gave us some direction and answered our questions. The water pressure in the shower was terrible, the selection of breakfast food was quite odd. It was very hot while we were there and the maid would turn the air off everyday while we were out so the room would be quite hot every time we returned.

The only good thing about this hotel was the location to the metro and the Gelatoria that was about 3 blocks away. I would NEVER stay here again!!!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family