Aphrodite Hotel
US$429
US$408
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsvia marsalatermini stationyour luggagerooms are smallleonardo expresscentral locationdecent hotelexploring romebreakfast was includedcroissantssight seeingfour nightsrooftop terracetrevi fountainspanish stepsbusesfco
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I have just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel. I cannot understand how it can be 4 star! The day staff were extremely pleasant and helpful unlike the evening one.
We had a 3 bedded room which was small to say the least. The bathroom was tiny, as was the shower and toilet area. The water was always hot and the pressure was good.
The breakfast was okay if not repetitive. We returned from eating on 2 different evenings and requested drinks from the bar only to be told it was closed- time - before 9pm.
The location was good and the rooms were clean but 4 star it is not.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Anne L
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We chose the hotel partly on location for convenience of access to public transport - that worked well. However, everything else was far below the standard you would reasonably expect for the price. The advertising was misleading verging on dishonest. The breakfasts are nothing like advertised. Every morning we had to ask for food to be topped up. The brochure shows a cappuccino - the reality was lukewarm coffee in an urn. The hot water for tea was in an unheated urn and cold. Fruit salad was mainly melons and old grapes - you get the picture. We asked nicely that the situation be addressed and there was a minor improvement for one day, then back to the customer being the enemy. The bed was a good size but it creaked every time you moved and was rock hard. The walls were paper thin and easy to hear every word next door. They advertise satellite TV - there were hundreds of channels - all Italian except for one French one. When we asked about English channels they said you can get BBC sometimes if you are lucky - over 5 nights we were never lucky. When we asked for help it was always perfunctory - we stopped asking. Don't choose this hotel unless you are prepared to compromise heavily for the convenience of the location!! We don't have any other comparison in Rome so we don't know whether this is symptomatic of a country in degradation or this specific hotel - good luck in choosing.

Room Tip: Do stay here
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Oscat666
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I stayed here for two nights after reading some good reviews and in view of its location next to Termini Train Station in Rome as I had to make a day trip to the Venice with Trenitalia.
The check in was longish with slow computer system and I was shocked to find myself in the smallest hotel room that I have ever stayed in with a twin bed, a small TV and fridge with no other amenities except a hair dryer and some lotion in the washroom. The shower area was so small that I had to open the sliding door to towel myself. There were no irons and none were available.The breakfast was average. The only positive was that Katja and Jai at front desk tried there best to help but the hotel management and policies won't let them do much. Considering the price that I paid, I would have got a deluxe hotel anywhere in North America. The only other positive was that the property was clean. But I do not see myself going back there again.

Room Tip: Just stay away.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Near Termini Station, the Aphrodite Hotel was a very pleasant experience.

Clean, nice linens, wonderful fifth floor breakfast room with a wide variety of morning choices. This waitstaff worked well and efficiently for all the Hotel's guests.

Somewhat pricey, it still satsified. We heard no noise from the street and felt secure.

The Hotel's only issue is its hot/cold water system in the shower. Unpredictable, it required quick moves to know when the temperature was changing. It seems that this is an issue that has been cited by other reviewers.

Perhaps it is a big issue for management to address?

The conceirge's recommendation of a nearby restaurant was a fine place to dine for two nights of our three night stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 4 nights in September 2013. I got the hotel from priceline.com under the 'name your own price' category and only to discover that the savings I had was a miserable US$3 per night!! The Priceline website claimed that "Our deluxe 4-star hotels have all the comforts a deal hunter could want with fabulously furnished guest rooms and extra amenities to make your stay extra comfortable". I had read many bad reviews on this hotel but have to stay with it unless I decided to forfeit my payment. The reviews are right! Priceline had failed to assess the hotel correctly or they have simply ignored it. The furniture are old with some even tore apart. The bed crackles when I laid on it. Laminated tiles are separated from the flooring. The walls are dirty with lots of water mark…. The worst part is their bathroom. The shower area is merely 64cm by 64cm!! Unless you are very slim, you cannot stretch out your hands, needless to say I cannot even bathe properly. The shower gel is placed inside a cheap dispenser and there is no holder for your toiletries. I placed my toiletries on the washing basin which requires me to walk to and fro during showers. There were no drainage (except shower area) in the bath room. The floors are wet and slippery after bathing. In one occasion, I slipped and fell causing a bump on my head. When I talk to the hotel staff about the size of their bathroom, there are also a mother and daughter traveller requesting to change to a room with bigger shower area. The staff replied that there are only 3 rooms in the hotel with larger shower facility but all are not available.
After checking out your room and if you decided to keep your luggage with the hotel temporarily, you may want to consider bringing your valuables with you. This is because the depositary room is not lock and accessible by anyone.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple