“Location, location, location!”
Review of Hotel San Carlo

Hotel San Carlo
Ranked #178 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Okay, this hotel is not only about location, but man is it in a great location!
The San Carlo is also about a splendid roof-top garden functioning as breakfast room. Now, when in Rome don't waste time on breakfast, but hey, this place just invites to linger, to wake to the sounds of the streets far below, to enjoy the blue sky and to plan your day - if not done so yet - and dive into the Eternal City.
I stayed at the San Carlo while on a University of Utah Go Learn journey and everyone on this trip enjoyed the San Carlo! Friendly staff, clean, comfy rooms, sound-proof windows... oh, and did I mention the awesome breakfast at the roof-top garden?

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Hotel San Carlo was a perfect place to stay while visiting Rome. Close to Spanish Steps, Metro, nice shopping area, and easy walking distance to everything - Borghese Museum, Vatican, Trevi fountain and Pantheon, to name a few. My room was a single, it was small and clean. My only issue was the heat was not able to be turned off at night, and the noise from the street woke me a few times when I slept with the window open. The staff were fabulous - friendly and helpful at every turn. The breakfast spread was ample with sweets, also had fruit, meat and cheese and a pot of hot water for my tea.
I would return to this hotel if visiting Rome again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We loved staying in this hotel. The owners were lovely and friendly. It is in the centre of Rome which meant most places were walking distance. We were right on the doorstep of Spanish Steps and 'The Wedding Cake building'. 20 minute walk to Vatican City; 30 minute walk to Colosseum; 10 minutes to Trevi [my favourite place!]. We were booked into a double room [no. 23]. The room was comfortable with a very good bed [firm and comfy]. Lovely powerful shower although a very small cubicle! So we changed room and was given room no 10 [family room]. The shower in this room was A M A Z I N G! Double cubicle with a monsoon shower and a very spacious room altogether. Breakfast was on the 4th floor terrace with lots of little birds swooping in which was really cute [they don't steal your food though [not like seagulls!]. Breakfast is continental and although this gets a bit tedious it is very good food. The only downside for me was there was no kettle facility in the room [and I do love my tea!] but when I mentioned this to the owner he said he was considering introducing kettles in the rooms. I would definitely recommend this hotel and I would book again on my next visit to Rome.
It is also in the middle of some amazing shops which I would liken to our Knightsbridge boutiques. I wish I hadn't shopped before going as January was the sale season and very good sales they have too!

Room Tip: No 10 is a good sized family room on the first floor. It has a double shower cubicle and monsoon sh...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mellandian
Reviewed 14 January 2014

The Hotel is in the best position. It is two minute walk to the Spanish steps. The hotel is situated in a charming cobblestone road and is right in the heart of all the shops and sites. We stayed in a very clean and comfortable two room family suite, which is around the corner (20 metres) from the lobby. The staff are exceptionally friendly. They arranged transport for us to the Vatican at no charge in their hotel taxi. They arranged to post to us an item that we left in the room. On new years day they assisted us with a very late breakfast, outside the normal eating hours.
All in all, it was a great stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Barrysu
Reviewed 6 January 2014

This was my second visit to Rome, before I had only spent a day in Rome before travelling on but I decided to stay for a few days, after searching the web I found the San Carlo, it was a decent price and looked admissible, but it was in a perfect location in the middle of everything. I didn't realise how good the location was until I arrived. The hotel was just around the corner from the Spanish Steps and surrounded with boutique shops and really good restaurants. The hotel is pretty basic but you get what you pay for and would recommend for a short stay. It's for people who shall spend the uttermost of the day exploring rather than in their hotel room. It's only a short distance away from Vatican City and other tourist parts of the city. Breakfast is included, its basic but fine. It wasn't loud from the streets but was when people walked past the room in the early hours of the morning which was frustrating. The rooms are clean and pleasantly decorated, I had a small terrace which was nice. Overall it's what I expected when I booked there were no surprises. I would probably try a different hotel because it wasn't amazing however it's location would make me want to return.

Room Tip: Try and get a terrace, it's relaxing to sit outside.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 December 2013

This was our second stay at this gorgeous quaint hotel. We were pleasantly surprised as the place had been renovated and even more appealing. The position is brilliant as you are surrounded by some of the best clothing shops in Rome and, an added bonus, there is a fabulous deli, food market and supermarket around the corner. Breakfast is outstanding as the variety of food has certainly expanded. The coffee was hot;there were fruit juices, yogurts, fresh fruit, cheese, meat, bread, muffins and cakes. Breakfast is served in the roof garden. Even though it was winter, there were heaters to keep you warm and comfortable. Many restaurants were closed but the reception was happy to assist us with our enquiries. The room (76) was spacious, clean and quiet. We look forward to returning in the near future.

Room Tip: Room 76 was quiet and in the non smoking section.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Stayed at hotel a few years ago before the renovations. What a pleasant surprise to be back.
The room feels fresh, breakfast area on the roof top is large and I can just imagine in summer would be a great place to start your day.
Location is no better if you want stay near the Spanish Steps.
Shower has good pressure, the heating if anything is maybe too efficient, but by opening the window (not much of a view) helped to regulate the temperature. We will be back...

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple