Hotel Albergo Santa Chiara
Boutique Hotel Campo de Fiori(Rome)
US$358
US$238
US$294
US$270
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Residenza San Calisto(Rome)(Great Value!)
US$227
US$354
US$292
Very Good 4/5
  • Breakfast included
All reviewspiazza navonagreat locationaround the cornerspanish stepsquad roomfront desk staffwithin walking distancedinner reservationsyogurtking bedother hotelsheart of romesmall showerbreakfast buffet isquiet streetchocolate croissantquiet room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 October 2013

This is a tough one to rate.

On one hand, I can say this is a solid 3-star hotel in a great location, with very nice rooms, and a good breakfast.

On the other hand, the men working at the front desk staff were awful. From our fist contact upon checking in, to help with dinner reservations, to checking out, they were cold and emotionless and at some points quite rude. I observed them treating other guests this way as well, and a group of us later commiserated about it.

With that said, I did notice that the desk staff rotates. We, unfortunately, always dealt with the same group of grumps. Perhaps not all the staff are this way. Otherwise, I don't know how you explain other reviews where they mention a friendly staff.

I should also add that Federica, who I dealt with a lot on the telephone before arriving, is very pleasant and helpful. Unfortunately, we never saw her during our stay. If we had, perhaps it would have been a different experience.

Before I wrote this review, my wife and asked ourselves if we would ever go back to this hotel. For sure, there is a lot to like about it. But in the end we agreed we wouldn't. The staff was just too unfriendly.

Room Tip: We stayed in a quad room with our two kids and loved it. It was up under the roof with exposed beams - very cozy and spacious. It was a room to the outside, which made it noisy with the window open, but okay when closed. From talking with other guests, I know that rooms to the inside are super quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Tim S
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We wanted to stay in the Centro Storico and found the Albergo Santa Chiara on Trip Advisor. Not as expensive as many others in the area but every bit as good. Tucked in behind the Pantheon, one of our favourite buildings in the world, it could not have been more convenient. We had a lovely big room, spotlessly clean with extremely comfy bed. Room to move around and we didn't need a view as we were out all day. Breakfast was very good and the staff helpful and friendly. My husband left his computer power cord behind the desk and the hotel posted it back to Australia for us at no extra charge - now that's what I call service. We'll stay again when we return to Rome.

Room Tip: Some rooms only have a view of the inside courtyard - try for one on the outside.
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Our travel agent booked us into this hotel for 3 nights in late September 2013. The best thing about the hotel was the location near Piazza Navona and within walking distance to historic sites, shops and restaurants.The room was spare but very clean. The breakfast was adequate, and on request they'll make you a capuccino. However, the front desk personnel was not friendly or accomodating. A request to change a large (100) euro note met with 'We have no change', an unacceptable response for a business hotel in a major city. A gelato shop in the area was able to do this upon purchase. When we checked in, we attempted to confirm that our room (superior) had a shower of some type, which had been requested when the reservation was made.The front desk personnel waffled on this, saying "yes', but upon inspection, the room only had a tub. Thus we were unable to check in for several hours until they could get us a room with a shower. I'd also suggest requesting rooms in the main portion of the hotel, as there is an annex that requires multiple stairs and elevator trips to reach the rooms, not at all convenient for hauling luggage or for those with physical impairments.

There are many hotels in Rome with greater charm and hospitality. If you are traveling for business, this is an adequate choice. If you are looking for more atmosphere, charm, ambiance, and an accomodating staff, make a different selection.

Room Tip: On booking, request a room in the main part of the hotel, not in the annex.
1  Thank oliviaava08
Reviewed 17 October 2013

This was our 3rd stay at Santa Chiara this past September. The service is impeccable, the rooms are very clean and the beds are extremely comfortable. The shower was a little tight in our bedroom but all else was fine. The bellboys are helpful, extremely courteous and they smile no matter how heavy your bags are. Great, friendly staff at this hotel. They provide a hearty and well laid out breakfast and they have a nice outdoor patio for relaxing at the end of the day. The location of Santa Chiara a just a few blocks from the Pantheon and many local piazzas to find great restaurants. I would plan on staying there again if I do get back to Rome.

Room Tip: A corner room might be larger. You might want to view a couple of rooms to suite your taste for space or layout.
1  Thank beckyjack
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is a gorgeous hotel but feels like a business/commuter hotel. The rooms are pretty small which isn't a big deal because you aren't hanging out in your hotel room while in Rome.

We stayed here for the last two nights of our honeymoon before heading back to America. I don't think they knew it was our honeymoon as there was no pomp and circumstance about our arrival, which was fine.

One of the concierges, Federica came out immediately to advise us that the walking tour we had booked was trying to cancel as there were heavy rains forecasted for that afternoon and we were the only two people on the tour. After we settled in and decided that cancelling was best she was very helpful in facilitating this as well as making a reservation for dinner close by.

The weather held off and we decided to try and switch our reservations from where Federica suggested to a place that numerous people had suggested to us. I called downstairs to see if they could do this for us and the man on the other end seemed totally perplexed by my request. I felt like this was something they wanted me to handle myself. In the end he said he would and would confirm back to me once completed. An hour later we heard that the reservations had been switched.

The room overlooked a newspaper stand that was pretty bustling early in the AM but as we were staying for two nights it didn't seem like a big enough deal to ask for a new room.

The hotel was lovely and although we didn't have a chance to have drinks on the little terrace before dinner, it looked really cute. I think it's just good to know it's more of a "do it yourself" type of place.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple