“A hidden Gem !!”

Ranked #497 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
Toronto
“A hidden Gem !!”
Reviewed 28 August 2007

Can't say enough about Hotel Trastevere. My wife just loved this place! The staff were very helpful and morning breakfast was just perfect. Great capincino !! The hotel is located in a beautiful part of Rome and has many beautiful restaurants within walking distance. One of the best things about the location of the hotel was that it was located in a not so 'touristy' location yet was close to all the major attractions in Rome.

I highly recommend this hotel to stay in if you plan to visist rome!

• Stayed August 2006
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
London
Reviewed 19 July 2007

This hotel is a very good base and although it is basic, with a very sweet breakfast, it makes no difference as there is so much to see in Rome and all we wanted was a place to rest our sore feet. Would really recommend staying in Trastevere, especially for the buzzy nightlife and less tourists - would also highly recommend the seafood restaurant in the same building as the hotel but on the other side - walk round the hotel, along the top of the square and it's on your right. Quite pricey but best meal we had.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — basic
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
Houston, Tx
Reviewed 18 June 2007

Our group of 4 spent 4 nights at this hotel and loved it! The location is wonderful and convenient to many of Rome's sites. There are numerous restaurants nearby and the area felt safe even at night.

We were in one of the apartments and we had ample room. The apartment is a three-level affair with a double bed and kitchenette on the lower level, the bathroom and closets on the second level and a loft bedroom with a double bed on the third level.

Breakfast was very good and included pastries, juice, fruit and, best of all, endless capucinos!

If we ever get the opportunity to travel back to Rome, this will be the first place we call.

• Liked — location, staff
  • Disliked — NA
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
New York, NY
Reviewed 15 June 2007

My husband and I had a great time at Hotel Trastevere. The hotel has a cute lobby with a small dining room. Our room was next door on the ground floor facing the street, but it was still quiet. The room has basic decor. Beds were comfortable, bathroom clean, large window, air conditioning and TV. Also, the building was very secure.

Staff was friendly and spoke English. They had yummy pastries for breakfast with cafe, tea, orange juice and some fruit.

We loved the location. Great restaurants. People say it's like the Greenwich Village, but it's much nicer and cleaner - more like the West Village but so much better.

Tram nearby, but can walk to the Pantheon by foot in about 20 minutes.

Great value.

• Liked — Location and quiet
  • Disliked — No view
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed here between 4th-8th February this year for our first trip to Rome. We took a cab from Termini but the cabbie had trouble finding the hotel as the Trastevere area is a maze of little roads. So there we were dumped in the middle of one of the many cobbled streets. Thank god for my guidebook and map - the geek that I am! The hotel itself was as you would expect from a 2 star hotel - the entrance was simple and ancient - it would not have looked out of place 5 thousand years ago along with the Forum and the Colloseum. We were shown to our rooms and I have to say, I was very disappointed. The rooms looked much nicer on the website, and having stayed at a friend's apartment once in Italy I was looking forward to the traditional tiled or parquet floors and dark wood interiors of Italy. Instead it reminded me of the accommodation I stayed in once on a school trip to France when I was 12. The rooms were very basic - the bathroom was reasonably modern, but there were hardly any hangers in the "wardrobe" and we only had one TV channel the entire holiday. Yes, I know we're not there to watch telly but who doesn't like a bit of CNN or BBC World in the background when they're getting ready?! That aside, I can sleep anywhere so it wasn't an issue for me... unfortunately it was a different story for my boyfriend who was kept awake by the sound of revellers outside. Now we like to go out ourselves, but the sound of someone throwing up the contents of a good night out right outside your window doesn't quite have the same calming effect as lavendar. The next morning we were faced with breakfast - both my boyfriend and I are big fans of the "hotel breakfast". We love a big free buffet of hot and cold food that you stuff yourselves with and steal a couple of apples and pastries for the rest of the day (you didn't read it here). I had expected something very basic thanks to trip advisor, but my boyfriend had the shock of his life when faced with croissants and er, dry biscuits? Yes, this was our breakfast. Not even fruit, or yoghurt - the bog standard continental offer. Disappointed and unfufilled, we weakly embarked on our first full day in Rome.... OK, so far I have been complaining so here are some pros. The staff were very friendly but my boyfriend makes friends everywhere he goes so this isn't the best guage. The location of the hotel is in Trastevere, an area known for its restaurants which is why we chose to stay here. We like the idea of going out for a meal and drinks afterwards without the worry of getting a cab home. We met a couple whilst dining one night who were booked to stay in another hotel that was billed as being close to St. Peter's but was actually about 8 miles from anything central, including Trastevere. They had to cab it to and back every night. The price wasn't bad either - 95 euros per night for the room but you kinda get what you pay for i.e. basic accommodation. On our second day, we needed to get up early to visit the Vatican City. As we were slow in getting up, I remarked that we really only had 10 minutes to eat breakfast to which my boyfriend replied " there isn't 10 minutes worth of breakfast to eat there" and remained grumpy again for the rest of the day (men and their stomachs!). On our last day our lovely "Roman Holiday" was slightly marred by an incident. My boyfriend accidentally left his watch behind in the room when we were checking out - he thinks he left it on the bed. He only realised this when we were spending our last few hours exploring. When we went back to pick up our luggage in the afternoon, we asked if anyone had seen anything whilst cleaning up our room but the reception guy said nothing had been handed in. He was even kind enough to go upstairs and have a look around the room - new people had checked in so we weren't allowed to have a look. My boyfriend is convinced the cleaners took the watch, but there is no proof and I think it could have been anyone who had access during those 6 hours... Nonetheless, the hotel experience overall was fine and didn't affect our enjoyment of Rome. I would reccommend this hotel to budget travellers, and maybe groups of friends. However, we have vowed we will always stay in at least a 3 star hotel from now on!

Stayed February 2007
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 August 2006

I was hesitant to stay here after reading some of the mixed reviews, but we wanted to be in Trastevere and finding a hotel that could accommodate 4 people (2 adults, 2 children) in one room was difficult. Hotel Trastevere was one of the only hotels in the area that had a room large enough for four. (TWO other hotels suggested my 6 year old share the king bed with my husband and me ! )

As it turns out, Hotel Trastevere was perfect for our 3-night stay. We were given one of their apartments in the building next door to the lobby. It is actually one very tall room split into 3 levels, each accessed by a narrow open stair. The first floor had a double bed, desk, night-tables, small TV and kitchenette. The middle level had more shelves and closet space than I’ve ever seen in a hotel, a pull out bed, and a small, but functional bathroom; and the top level, which was under the eaves, had 2 dressers and a double bed.

The air conditioning worked well on the 2 lower levels but it was very stuffy and hot on the top level. Nonetheless, my son loved having his own ‘floor’ and didn’t complain. We were promised a fan, which would have solved the problem, but unfortunately it didn’t materialize.

The breakfast is fairly basic (bread/rolls, jams, coffee/cappuccino, apples) but fresh. It is served in a small but comfortable room off the lobby.

Amandus at the front desk was professional and courteous. He knows Rome well and was helpful with directions, answering our questions and recommending local restaurants.

Hotel Trastevere is well located and easy to reach from the airport by taking the train to Trastevere station and then switching to Tram #8 and walking 2 blocks. We did it with 2 kids, lots of luggage and a good map.

Overall, we loved Trastevere and would not consider staying anywhere else on our next visit. It was easy to reach all the historic sites either by walking or taking Rome’s busses, trams or metro. And at the end of the day, you come back to the hotel, shower,change, and have all the restaurants at your feet. The restaurants are excellent, they stay open late, and are always busy. The whole neighborhood teams with life by day and night.

• Liked — Large room
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled with family
Stanford, CA
Reviewed 27 July 2006

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights at the end of May. We were actually in town for a wedding and hadn't set up accomodations for after the wedding (I know, bad idea for Europe in the summer!). We found the hotel in our AAA book and were relieved when they had a room.

I'm not entirely sure how the hotel is split out because on the 1st night we stayed in a building 1 1/2 blocks away from the hotel lobby. It was next to a very popular restaurant and unfortunately there was no AC so we had to open the windows and deal with the noise.

The 2nd night we switched rooms to a building that was next to the main lobby. This was much better. The room was slightly bigger (however it's Europe so expect smaller than normal rooms compared to hotels in the US), had AC, and was much quieter.

The breakfast was good (croissants, fruit, etc) and the front desk was helpful, although if you want to check out earlier than 8 am, you should let them know the night before so someone is staffed.

The location was safe and for the overall price I think the hotel was a great find, considering most other hotels are far more expensive, especially in summer. I would stay there again but definitely make sure to ask for a room that's closer to the hotel lobby for a more sound rest!

• Stayed May 2006, travelled as a couple