Hotel Arenula
US$279
US$937
US$477
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgreat locationwalking distanceyogurtstar hotelrecommend this hotelbread rollsstar servicewould definitely stay here againhotel is perfectcentral locationhotel breakfastplace to sleepdouble roommajor attractionsmain sitesvery pleasant stayexplore rome
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Hotel Arenula is a pretty good, slightly above average, small ("budget") hotel right smack in the Ghetto, a short walk from Campo dei Fiori. It is an excellent location. But its still a little pricey for what I received: there is no elevator; my rooms were small (had to switch after one night because the shower's drain clogged); there was no air-conditioning (not a big problem at the time, the weather happened to be quite was cool); and the service just ok. To be fair, there was excellent internet access in the lobby, and I had excellent cappuccinos and fresh cornetti in the morning. I also have fond memories of seagulls landing on the roof in the early morning at dawn, squawking away, as early wake-up calls.

Hotel Arenula would not be my first choice in the area. But I would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 July 2013

This hotel is in a great location... everything is walkable except the Vatican. Unfortunately the hotel staff is not friendly at all and not welcoming. We felt like we were inconveniencing them by being there. We stayed at six different hotels throughout Europe and this hotel had the rudest staff by far. The was decent, clean and what you would expect for a hotel in the price range. I would find another hotel though if I return to Rome.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mf619861
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Our family has stayed at this hotel every time we travel through Rome, which is almost every year for the past 15 years. The location for sightseeing & train to Fiumicino airport, quiet street, continental breakfast, cleaniness, A/C and firmness of the mattresses can't be beat. We were delighted with the a/c upgrade - it is now on all the time and keeps the room a constant temperature. Its still a walk up. If you have any physical limitations, this is not the hotel for you and I'm not sure they will carry your bags for you. However, the view from the top floor rooms is beautiful. We had a few disappointments this trip worth mentioning. First, all the staff is usually very friendly and helpful. The night clerk was not helpful and grunted when we inquired about the english language tv stations. He basically told us to fish around and find it ourselves. Is it that difficult to list out BBC and CNN? We never found CNN. On the other hand, we had a hard time figuring out the room safe and the day clerk was helpful and patient. The deal breaker for us was the lack on internet/wifi. It is only available in one small public sitting room, not every guest room, and was inconsistent. We hardly ever got on line there and had to find another free wifi location. 2013 and the place isn't wired in every room? The password is from 2009?! They need to upgrade this feature.

Room Tip: top floor views but remember its a walk up. Our room had a balcony but was locked - not sure why and we didn't ask.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We are four adults who shared a room in Hotel Arenula in July 2013. As other reviewers have said, the location of this hotel cannot be beat. It is within perfect walking distance of the most interesting sites and yet it is not loud and overwhelming. We stayed on the 4th floor, which did mean lots of walking up stairs. We are all in decent health and shape and I did not think taking stairs is that bad but the stairs are sort of awkwardly spaced and spiraling, which I will say is both charming and annoying. The staff was consistently friendly and the rooms were always clean. The beds were a little on the hard side, but after a long day of wandering Rome, we always slept just fine. We did have some issues with the shower pressure wearing off for the morning-showers but when I showered at night it was fine. Another thing to note is that the WiFi only worked when you were downstairs in the reception area, and even then there were a few times that it did not work. This wasn't that big of a deal, but of the 5 hotels we stayed in over our vacation in Europe, this is the only hotel we were in where the WiFi didn't work in the rooms. Breakfast was generally good, served continental style and included coffee, juice, croissants, cream cheese, other cheeses, crackers, fruits, yogurt, and cereal. I didn't care for the coffee but it was very easy to find other places with awesome coffee later.The days we were in Rome it was very, very hot and luckily the A/C worked great. I would definitely recommend this hotel based on its location and cleanliness. The way I see it is you're not spending much time in the hotel anyway, so you may as well save some money and just get a room that is clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Bottom line: Arenula is a 2 star hotel: 1 star for location, 1 star for being inexpensive by Roman hotel prices, 0 stars for accommodations. I wouldn't stay there again.

Pros:
-Great location: It's situated between the Jewish Ghetto (not a real ghetto, that's just the name) and the Campo di Fiori. The only time we had to take a taxi was to the Vatican, everything else was walkable.
-Quiet: It's down a small street off of a main street, so while it's centrally located, it's also nice and quiet.
-Maids catered to our requests when we left a nice note and a good tip

Cons:
-Unclean: torn sheets, mildew & mold-smelling bathroom (horribly smelly), dirty walls, did I already say that the bathroom was disgusting? We had to keep the door to the bathroom closed so the smell didn't infiltrate the room. When we went in the bathroom, we held our breath.
-Uncomfortable: The beds are rocks and pillows are extremely flat. It was very uncomfortable sleeping there. Luckily the maids brought extra pillows for us when we wrote a nice note and left a good tip.
-Air conditioner: It was loud and hardly worked. It might have cooled the room by 5 degrees Fahrenheit, maybe.
-Grumpy staff: When we arrived, the man behind the counter was not friendly. We didn't hear him ask for our passports and when he repeated himself a few minutes later after we were just standing there thinking he was doing something on the computer to get our room ready, he gave us serious attitude and rolled his eyes. Not the best welcome. Also, I would have appreciated it if they had someone would have carried our bags up the stairs for us. I didn't mind the stairs and no elevator. But, when we had the same situation at a hotel in New York, they had someone do that for us and we gave them good tips for it.
-Breakfast: I'm not complaining about the food itself, because we realized after visiting 3 cities that breakfast in Italy is a wash anyway. The only thing we didn't like was being forced to sit down and eat in an awkward room. We don't drink coffee and so we just went down to grab some of the crackers and cheese each morning and bring it back to our room. One of the mornings, one of the Hotel staff members snapped at me and made me feel like I was doing something evil.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple