“OK, but if allergic, don,t go here”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Domus Aventina

Domus Aventina
Ranked #669 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Rome, Italy
“OK, but if allergic, don,t go here”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2011

The title of my review is maybe a bit too negative, as I found the hotel quite good, the location very good for my purpose (I needed to be close to Circo Massimo), and the staff was very friendly. However, upon arrival in the room I was met by a dusty smell, normally I associate that to a smokers room, but later on I realized it was the full carpet in the room that had attracted so much dust (maybe mold) which resulted in the smell. You can imagine that I did not have the best sleep during my weeks stay there (I am allergic to dust).

The bathroom was small but well laid out, shower was good, always hot water. The room was cleaned every day very well.

The TV only showed Italian channels (at least I could not find any english speaking channels, which was a pity, as I would have liked to stay up to date with what was happening in Egypt).

It was possible to connect to the internet, however, during peak hours (which unfortunately were when I arrived in the hotel) internet was very slow (almost impossible) as there was only one line, and therefore all guests were using that line during the same time (26 rooms I believe)

All in all, I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Fish_Diver_10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2011

I recently stayed here during a short business trip to Rome, and was very happy with it. The location is excellent; it's on a quiet street just 2 blocks from the Metro line B, and only about 10 or 15 minutes from Termini. There are lots of good restaurants about 6 or 7 blocks away in Testaccio, and it's a pleasant walk. The front desk workers were friendly, professional and helpful, and all spoke excellent English. Breakfast was very simple, but everything was good quality, particularly the coffee. The rooms were small and simple, but super clean and with all the basics well taken care of. My room had a small balcony overlooking a beautiful patio with orange trees, but unfortunately it was cold and rainy so I couldn't really take advantage. For the location and quality of service the hotel offers, I thought the price was an absolute steal. I'd happily come back next time in Rome.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Klippan, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2010

Roma 3 day pass (25E) is a bargain,,,Can take bus 175 from Rome central bus/train station(roma termini) to the hotel,,,Close to most tourist sites,, september/october is the ideal time to travel,,

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2010

It was a very nice stay for us. The Aventine Area is like an oasis- so close to the Metro and the center and yet quiet- birds chirping, car free streets. The hotel is basic, clean enough, everything works. While the staff were a not exactly bubbly, they were nice and helpful when asked. Breakfast was good and the service there was great!
The WiFi is free but the transmitter is in the basement so the signal in the breakfast room is great-in the rest of the hotel?- not so much.... There is no elevator but that was not a problem for us. Overall a great stay a good value.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Stockholm
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

My stay happened at the time of the ash cloud in April 2010. Having been stuck in Israel there was a possibility to fly to Rome and then continue overland through Europe to Sweden. I booked the hotel without any prior knowledge of it. All I knew was that the location, the Aventine, is nice since I have spent a lot of time in Rome over the years. The hotel was truly a gem with an excellent location in a quiet residential area and yet within walking distance to areas like Testaccio with its many good restaurants. The staff was extremely helpful and did far more than anyone would have expected in helping us to book train tickets, somewhere to sleep in Munich and even the rental car with which we drove from Munich to Copenhagen! The room was nice, overlooking a wonderful walled garden and an old church. The view was actually very romantic and I think the hotel would suit couples interested in architectural history who, if they get the rooms with the little terraces, could sit there with a glass of wine and digest a day of sightseeing in the eternal city of Rome. The hotel was rather pricey, but Rome is not cheap and I would definitely choose stay there with my partner when I go back to Rome.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

I stayed here in February for my boyfriends 21st. It is situated in a quiet mainly residential location but there is a metro stop 5 min walk away, which ran late into the night and we soon found a good route to walk to the Colluseum which only 20 mins. The room was small but really nicely decorated with gorgeous fixtures and the bathroom was wll equipped. The hotel is situated in a beautiful old buliding with a chapel next door and has a lovely small outside patio full of oranges trees (it was shut when we visited but i assume it opens in the summer.) Breakfast was minimal but fine for what we wanted.
I wanted to write a review becasue we enjoyed our stay so much, a really lovely hotel and very good value for money.
Sophie, 20, London.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2010

Located on the Aventine, a green and leafy residential neighborhood outside the Centro Storico, this hotel is sandwiched between a church and a grammar school. The rooms are large by Roman standards. My "single" was a king-size bed with a couch, a desk, a private terrace and a large bathroom. The breakfast room is large and well stocked. I have stayed there twice (2004 and 2010) and would stay there again.

Only drawbacks were a moderately uncomfortable bed and pillow. Also, I have heard that there is no elevator, but on both occasions, I was on the first floor (which is up about 6 steps from the lobby).

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo