“Lovely Treat”
Review of Homs Hotel

Homs Hotel
Ranked #571 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 21 October 2011

We had been inTuscany for a couple of weeks and were ending our trip in Rome. We spent four days at this lovely hotel. It is very convenient to the metro and in a central location. Within a block of the Spanish Steps, it is near many restaurants.

It was a pleasant surprise when we entered our hotel room to find they had upgraded us to a suite. It was so nice. We had a private balcony and lovely sitting room with large screen TV and great air conditioning.

We could not have been happier in any other hotel. The price was reasonable. We ate at a couple of great restaurants near our hotel.

This was our second time to stay at this hotel and would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lynda B

Reviewed 5 October 2011

Located just a few minutes away from the Spanish Steps, Via Condotti and Via del Corso - we couldn't have asked for a better spot. However, the room was literally the size of a closet - it was the smallest, most uncomfortable hotel room I've ever seen. The full size bed is only a few inches narrower than the room itself, which makes opening your suitcase nearly impossible. The bathroom is a decent size, however, the shower was broken and it kept falling off of the bar/pole - I have a pretty nasty bruise on my wrist from the shower head smashing on to me. I mentioned this to the front desk and rather than attempting to fix it, they just put it back on the pole. The employees at the front desk were all pretty unfriendly as well.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank delphi927
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Hotel Homs is a nice, clean, modern boutique-style hotel in a prime location in Rome. It's steps away from the Spanish Steps (in one of the most fashionable areas in Rome--think NYC's 5th avenue) and blocks from the Trevi Fountain. We quickly learned that Rome is a completely walk-able city and we were in the heart of it. The hotel is on a busy, well-lit street and we always felt safe walking there, even at night. And even though the streets below were always bustling, we never heard any noise when our windows were closed. From the moment my fiancee and I checked in, Francesca, at the front desk, took care of us; booking restaurant reservations, recommending tours, and making sure our stay was comfortable. Our room was pretty small, but cozy. There was a tiny entrance way and the entire main room was taken up by the bed and 2 night stands. We were able to peek inside other rooms and noticed that ours was definitely one of the smaller ones without much storage space. We had to put our clothes in every little nook imaginable, and we stored our luggage under the bed, as there was no real closet, but we made due. The room was very nicely decorated with a very clean, bright, modern bathroom. The reason I didn't give cleanliness a "5" is because the shower had slight signs of age and what could have been small mold stains on the shower floor. The water pressure in the shower was great though! I also really didn't like that the entire bathroom sink was made of glass, which showed spots and messiness very easily. The room was cleaned every day though and never felt messy or dirty. The bed was large and very comfortable. There was a safe in the room, a fridge, and a flat screen TV. Since we didn't spend much time in the room, it was everything we needed. The hotel has all the modern amenities and a little cafe downstairs. Breakfast wasn't included, but we didn't miss it at all.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are the biggest
4  Thank traveler52781
Reviewed 20 September 2011

just a few steps from the Spanish Steps ... friendly staff ... comfortable clean room ... breakfast bar available ... several good restaurants just down the street

Reviewed 17 September 2011

Very attractive, 'boutique-style' hotel right in the heart of Rome. Just by the Spanish steps, surrounded by shops (Including all the names - Prada, Ferragamo etc),hundreds ofrestaurants, and within walking distance of all the major sites.

Helpful staff, attractive, clean rooms with mini-bars, and, contrary to what some reviewers have said, we found the room sizes fine. Slight grumble about my own room (Room 208) - hum coming from the electrics panel on the wall (we blotted it sufficiently with a towel). Also, noise from toilet for a long time after flushing (a member of staff stopped it immediately by pressing the flush a couple of times - told this was a temporary fault). Perhaps I should give 3 stars only for that, but my companion's room was fine, and the hotel was so good overall that it deserves 4. Lots of noise from the street when window open, but when closed, I had no problem sleeping (and I'm not someone who sleeps easily in hotels!). Room was lovely and cool (but not too cool) when temperatures were 30 outside.

Room Tip: Well - perhaps don't go for room 208, but my companion's room was fine. (203!)
2  Thank thisgeneration
Reviewed 8 September 2011

First of all-to make the things clear-It's difficult to judge where the hotel rating comes from and the system used to reward it but it's DEFINATELLY NOT A 4* HOTEL. Nowhere nearer it in fact! 2+ at least unless one believes they are still living in 70's. I can imagine hotels have some freedome in labelling themselves with stars. However I wonder why websites and travel agents including leading, well known companies keep advertising the place as 4* while it is very obvious even for a diletant that it's not!
Let me start with positives and there is only ONE-the location. It's a definate advantage of the establishment. About 50metres from Spanish Steps, Via Condotti (where many designer shops are) plus Piazza del Popolo, Trevi fontain, presidential palace, Forum, Capitoline Hill all within easy reach. It is even more difficult to overlook the hotel location when compare it to Termini station (not very pleasant and unwelcoming area) where a large number of hotels geared for tourists are situated.
Now to negatives-as with majority of hotels in Rome (and Italy) the average quality and standards of accomodation are somewhat below of that found elsewhere in Europe. There is a continuos inflow of tourists to Italy guaranteeing bookings to owners and it seems that very little efforts are put to update hotels to comtemporary standards. The rooms in Homs are extremely tiny, more like student sleep place than a 4* HOTEL. Public areas look old and in desperate need of refurbishing (although a bathroom in my room showed some signs of being partially upgraded). It seemed that reception staff had no training of dealing with visitors whatsoever-upon my arrival there was no greeting, no smile-in fact one of the ladies at the reception had such an expression on her face as though she were about to punch someone on the face...One would get a feeling that hotel employees treat visitors not as guests deserving at least basic level of service but rather like unavoidable inconvenience. I guess one would have difficulties to believe that in high season that establishment charges well over £100.00 for tiny room! Needless to say-breakfast not included. I would say that the place is only good for those who simply wishes to use it as a base for exploring many magnificient monuments and sites of Rome. For all others who also look for a decent service, care and confort the place should be avoided. One more word of caution-there is a cafe on the corner, 10m away from hotel entrance (to the left) the same way leading to Spanish Steps. Avoid it at all cost! Can't even be called a tourist trap. It's much worse than that. Prices for drinks and food in central Rome are not particularly cheap. However in that establishment they will charge you twice of already highly inflated prices (i.e. 550ml bottle of Coke costs £2.50 on average, you will pay £4.50 there for pleasure to be served by a cashier who tries to deal with customers while chatting to some one on mobile)...
To conclude the hotel is a very poor value for money with employees who hardly cares about visitors. On another hand Rome is a great city to visit, where history awaits you on every corner. Also perhaps sunny, blue skies and warm weather make it so much easier to forget negatives of Homs and remember the Eternal City. Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Worldtraveller2569
Reviewed 31 August 2011

The hotel was in a great location, but the room was messy, cleaning staff was sloppy, the beds were uncomfortable, front desk was UNHELPFUL, their website oversold their wifi/breakfast and didn't provide either (well they did at unreasonable extra costs) and we were put into a smoking room after requesting non! ew!

Alright onto the review: we visited Rome as part of our Honeymoon tour from Northern Italy all the way down ending in Rome. I booked Hotel Homs because the reviews were all so positive and I really wanted to cap off the trip in a wonderful, luxurious way. Instead I got jack hammering outside my window until 4am, no joking.

Let me start with check in - we arrived to the hotel after walking from the train station (not advisable, but we were happy doing it) and since we were back packing it, we clearly had big ugly back packs on. The hotel front desk actually made fun of us for back packing on our honeymoon. Really?! The room was spacious and clean but the paint was all marked up and uncared for, the bathrooms weren't clean and the shutters were broken. The room was a smoking room and we're non smokers so we noticed an unpleasant odor right away. The walls were also paper thin and we could hear everything that was going on in the LOUD room next door - I believe every screaming child in Rome was in that room. Yay honeymoon!
We were on the road for 3 weeks so naturally I wanted to touch base with family and friends on the Wifi only to discover it cost 5 euros/hour!?! When you advertise wifi available it should be free or reasonably priced! It was also a bummer to realize that when they said breakfast available it wasn't part of the package like they made it sound. Their breakfasts started at 20 euros each. When you're paying as much as they cost, that was a shock.
We decided to go out and check out the sights right away and asked the front desk for advice - she circled one district on the map and sent us on our way - really, there's only one area to see in Rome? good thing we had a good travel book with us.
That night we went down to purchase some internet time only to discover the night clerk didn't understand English. I know it's not expected - but in a 4 star hotel I thought we would be pretty safe to bet english would be spoken.
The next night is when bad went worse - construction started outside our window. No joke they were jack hammering directly below our window all night long. When we went downstairs to ask what time they were expected to stop the front desk clerk said 2am ish and that it wasn't his fault. I understand they have little control over it - BUT they should have warned us when we checked in! OR since we were a honeymoon couple who booked ages in advance maybe put us on the quiet side of the hotel?? Not just say not our fault... it's not like we were saying it was... we just wanted to know if there was light at the end of the jack hammering tunnel - which btw went on until 4am for three days running - we had little to no sleep the entire time we were there.
For $200/night I would expect to 1. be able to sleep at night, 2. have access to the internet, 3. have a little help getting orientated in the city and a nice to have would be at least a coffee and pastry in the morning. Oh well, you live, you learn - cheap sometimes is the way to go!!
OH and airport transfer is $50 euros! Ouch! (we were also