“location and decor good, nothing else...”
Review of Hotel San Anselmo

Hotel San Anselmo
Ranked #42 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 13 October 2013

This hotel is located in the green, quiet and rather beautiful Aventine Hill area which is a welcome respite from the madness of the rest of Rome. It is very expensive, around 400 euro a night but suffers badly from being a converted villa, it has hardly any public areas, just the breakfast room and a tiny, unstaffed bar, so it's really a glorified B&B. Granted that the décor is spectacular with our room extensively painted and gilded but I wish they had spent some of the gilding budget on the stuff that makes a hotel truly comfortable, not to mention luxurious. Firstly the plumbing, a spa bath/shower enclosure is all very well but not when there is insufficient water pressure to run them effectively, a common issue in Rome but easily solved with a proper tank/pump setup in the basement. It also helps if the bath/ shower is not covered in black mould on the joints and looking generally old and battered. A further bathroom issue was just two medium sized towels and a lot of cotton dishcloths pretending to be towels, again common in Italy but in 2 star places. Then the four poster bed would give a concrete floor a run for it's money in terms off hardness, the linen smelt musty and the pillows were cheap and lumpy. So no marks for those fundamentals of hotel living, bath and bed.
Finally, just to cap it all, the breakfast was really poor, beautifully displayed and laid out but... solid, hours old scrambled eggs, the cheapest possible cold meats (pressed shoulder), juices that were not fruit juice, just some kind of diluted, coloured, sugary substitute, tepid coffee, only one hard pressed,member of staff on deck, etc etc.
So a triumph of style over substance, you would complain at 80 euro a night, we won't be returning.

1  Thank In-Three Z
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel San Anselmo, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Dear Sir,
We are very sorry to learn that your one night stay did not satisfy all your expectations, and I sincerely apologize.
A little surprised though, that you did not inform the reception about the inconveniences that you pointed out and I am sure with no trouble at all, they would have been more than happy to solve quickly all issues with the maintenance and the housekeeping team.
Believe us, it would be have been no trouble at all for us to assist you for a more comfortable stay for your Roman holiday, if we just knew about it.
I am sorry that your travelling brought you to Rome in one of the most expensive week of the year due to peak season, as also the month of May. I guess your perception of Roman accommodation in autumn and spring (peak season) is definitely far from the reality, as you probably can find a room for 80euros for a double room only in an hostel and in a suburb area, definitely not in a centre of Rome. The aventino hill is one of the most exclusive residential area of Rome and having residence here for many is considered a privilege that many cannot afford.
Yes, Rome can be expensive but if you have a chance to travel in low season, you can find good deals and offers at a very competitive price on our official website and you definitely can enjoy a very good price quality ratio.
I ‘m sorry that probably you’re expected to be in a standardized chain hotel and not a converted villa, but, we have to say that for us is really a strength not a drawback, because all our valued guests give a special value to it, as it makes them fee hosted in an ancient and aristocratic roman villa with a sophisticated and charming atmosphere of the past times and not in a standardized hotel.
The common areas are not big, but very cozy and full of ambience , like the lounge area with fireplace or the patio and the garden, where, it’s simply magic to enjoy a drink after a long day visit to the ancient city of Rome.
Best regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,185)

Reviewed 11 October 2013

I searched through many hotel reviews before settling on Hotel San Anselmo. Very glad to have made this choice. The hotel is in a residential area. No shops, places to eat or traffic too close by. That was what drew me to this hotel. How nice to get back to peace and quiet after a busy day of sightseeing. The outside patio is a beautiful, relaxing place to sit and have a drink at night. Breakfast was more than plentiful and very delicious. I read some other reviews here that were negative. Take them with a grain of salt, sometimes people are way too critical. The only thing I have to mention is that I found the mattress to be very hard. But hey, I wasn't at home so couldn't expect everything to be perfect! The Hotel is just lovely, the staff was great and the breakfast was delicious. We walked down the hill to have dinner our second night. The walk was only a few minutes. The streets were quiet, we felt very safe. Quite nice after dodging scooters all day! If you want to be away from the noise and take a break from all the activity in Rome, I highly recommend San Anselmo. If I get the chance to return to Rome, I will certainly stay here again!

Room Tip: The rooms are very different from each other. You can request one with a balcony or one with a bath...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mjbchlvr
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel San Anselmo, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Dear Guest,
What a beautiful review..and thank you so much for choosing the hotel San Anselmo for your Roman holiday..!!
I am so pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and we pride ourselves on providing our guests with warm and genuine service.
I am so proud that our entire team was successful in achieving this with you.
Thank you for recommending our roman villa to others potential guests and we remain at your service for another memorable roman experience.!!

Reviewed 10 October 2013

Truly memorable! A beautiful ancient stone building set amongst established gardens, with four churches in the vicinity. It was a peaceful haven from the bustle of the streets of Rome. The staff were all very friendly and professional. The breakfast staff in particular made us feel welcome and well taken care of. The rear breakfast garden and front courtyard, where we sat and enjoyed wine and conversation in the evenings, felt private and relaxing. The room was at once modern in its amenities, yet classic in its decor, with lots of marble, heavy drapery and artisanal furniture. Fresh off a Fellini set! We splurged for fresh flowers for our arrival, which added to the romantic ambience. We spent 9 days walking around Rome and came across a multitude of hotels ... we wouldn't have wanted to stay anywhere else. If you love to walk too, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor facing the piazza. We had an incredible view of the quiet residential rom...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for you beautiful review on Tripadvisor.!!..

Following your stay with us at the Hotel San Anselmo I’m so glad to know that our hotel, facilities and service met your expectations and made your stay comfortable and enjoyable..!!

I have personally conveyed your very kind words to the entire team that is looking forward to your next visit in our beautiful city of Rome.!!

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Hotel not convenient for tourists. Also overpriced for value.

Rooms were nicely decorated and breakfast was good and plentiful. However location was not convenient to any of tourist areas other than Colisseum. Ended up taking 3 to 6 taxi rides each day which became rather costly.

Room on second floor was very noisy. Could hear conversations at front desk clearly and adjacent rooms almost verbatim.

From past trips to Rome, there are far better values and locations to stay at in Rome if you are a tourist. If you are on business and like a bit of peace and quiet away from the hustle and bustle, then this hotel might work.

Room Tip: definitely NOT the second floor....very noisy....can't speak to other floors
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Rick12444
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel San Anselmo, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Dear Rick,
Thank you so much for your email.!
I'm happhy to know you enjoyed the decor of our room, the service and our delicious breakfast.
Howewer, little disappointed that you found our location not convenient to reach easily the main tourist attractions!!
I'm sure the concierge would have been more that happy to show you the best way to get to the Colosseo, Circo Massimo and Foro Romano, just with 15 minutes walk!!
Too bad you missed this opportunity to fully enjoy the beauty of our Aventino hillwith a relaxed and peacefull atmosphere, but so close to the magnificence of ancient Rome and its history.!!

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I researched many hotels and areas before choosing Hotel San Anselmo and I am glad I did. We absolutely loved the peace and tranquility this hotel offered after the chaos of Rome. Many have written that this location is far from the main sights, but we did not find this to be so. You are about 15 minutes walking distance from the Forum, Colisseum and Palantine Hill. Yes, you do have to walk up a hill to return to the hotel, but we did not find this challenging. If you have physical issues, I would suggest you take a cab. Cabs in Rome are pretty reasonable and the hotel will call a taxi if you ask. We stayed in the Poet's Room and while small by American standards, we loved it. We had a small balcony overlooking the street and the only sounds we heard were church bells from the nearby Benedictine church and birds singing. This is a very residential and tony area of Rome and we enjoyed being away from the touristy areas. The testaccio area has many good restaurants at a reasonable price and is about a 10 minute walk. The hotel offers free wifi and breakfast. The service is incredibly responsive and immediate and Alessandro and Vincenzo are wonderful. They offered great restaurant recommendations and responded to our every wish. I highly recommend this hotel and would absolutely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony.
1  Thank Rp917

Dear Guest,
thank you so much for your kind words posted on Tripadvisor.!
You really made our day and of the entire team, especially of Alessandro and Vincenzo delighted to be mentioned.!
I was very pleased to read that your stay with us was such an unforgettable experience and that my colleagues were successful in ensuring you were well looked after..
I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future and, in the meantime, we wish you a splendid autumn in New Mexico.!!

Reviewed 5 October 2013

My wife and I stayed here on a trip for our 30th anniversary. When we arrived we were greeted by the extremely friendly staff. We found the hotel to be very clean, quiet and decorated very nicely. Restaurants, sites and shopping were easily accessible from the hotel. The breakfast buffet was excellent. Tea time every afternoon was very tranquil after a day in the city sightseeing, shopping etc. We enjoyed sitting in the garden enjoying our tea and the peaceful atmosphere. The staff was very willing to take care of any requests that we had. They helped make reservations at a restaurant, called taxis for us, answered any questions we had etc. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel San Anselmo, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Dear Guest,
thank you for have given us the pleasure to host you for such an important event in our Hotel San Anselmo.!
I'm delighted that you were able to relax in our hotel and so proud to learn that we met your expectations with the entire team's efficiency and professional manner and carring attitude.
My colleagues and i personally look forward to welcoming you back soon again.!!

Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay at the san anselmo. We stayed here for the first part of our honeymoon and were not disappointed. The little touches made all the difference, from receiving a fresh drink of juice when we arrived in the August heat to being served champagne and strawberries in our room. The staff were extremely approachable and attentive and went out of their way to help you. We loved our room and also sitting in the small garden to the rear of the hotel. We thought the hotel was perfectly situated in rome because it was away from the hustle and bustle and we enjoyed the walk up the hill each evening. We will definitely return in the future.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Honeymooners,
Thank you so much for your beautiful review on Tripadvisor following your stay with us at Hotel San Anselmo for your honeymoon.!!..and especially that you have chosen us for for this very special event.
I’m so glad to know that our hotel, facilities and service met your expectations and made your stay comfortable and enjoyable.!!
I’m delighted that you were able to relax in our hotel and so proud to learn that we met your expectations with the entire team’s efficiency and professional manner and carring attitude.
My colleagues and I personally look forward to welcoming you back soon again for another unforgettable romantic stay.!!!