1,245 results
All reviewsaventine hillcircus maximustestaccio areabeautiful hotelcirco massimojacuzzi bathorange treesfour poster bedminute walkour honeymoonquiet areacentral romepastriesbeautiful roomcold meatsaround the cornerroman forum
Reviewed 26 January 2014

The hotel has real character, it is elegant, youthful and oozing boutique class. The service is second to none. They jump to your assistance and are always on hand. They bring you drinks on arrival, a nice touch.

The rooms are beautiful, ours was a complimentary upgrade to an annex house with its own orange tree.

The breakfast is a full spread with fresh coffee to order.

The gardens are cosy and lovely and there are several indoor areas to relax or work.

1  Thank tyfairclough
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel San Anselmo, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear guest,
First of all thank you for sharing your personal experience in our hotel! We are very glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us very much and that, above all, you loved the San Anselmo’s unique style. We thank you for your compliments about our sincere and distinctive service and also for our rich breakfast.
We hope to have you gain amongst us for another special stay in the Eternal City!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for our first romantic break away in November 2013 and absolutely loved it. The hotel is luxuriously decorated, so elegant. We managed to get upgraded to a deluxe room which had a four poster bed and was so stunning (a big thank you to the San Anselmo and also Katia at Aventino hotels for that!) The hotel serves a lovely selection of food for breakfast and there is lovely little courtyard area at the back of the hotel to relax in.
When booking I was concerned about the location of the hotel as it seemed so far from the main tourist attractions but having stayed there I can say that the location was perfect for us. Its about 20 min leisurely walk to colosseum, about 30 mins to Trevvi and 50mins to Vatican. It may sound long but it was at a very leisurely walking pace and included stopping to take photos of sights along the way. The Keyhole at the Knights of Malta Gardens is literally just up the street from the hotel and was well worth a visit.
The best thing about the location is that after spending the day sightseeing in the hectic and busy tourist areas the quiet and peaceful location of our hotel was a welcome retreat. My boyfriend and I both agreed that we will return again to hotel San Anselmo as the experience was so good.
One tip would be to use the hotels direct website for Aventino hotel group to book as it has better value than all the other booking websites, and they give discounts for multi night stays. I saved about €40 by booking direct with hotel. Also if you book well in advance you can get a very reasonable price for your stay.
A word of advice for women going to Rome...I wouldn't bother to pack high heels as most street are cobbled and you will destroy your shoes, bring a wedge heel or nice pair of flats instead.

Room Tip: A lot of the room photos on the web are deluxe rooms so it's probably worth paying the little bit extra because they are gorgeous. If you like a particular room from the online photos email the hotel as they will try to accommodate your requests where possible.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 750Joanne

Dear guest,
It is a real pleasure reading your nice and positive words about our boutique hotel! Katia and the rest of the staff are very thrilled to be mentioned in your review! San Anselmo is a very elegant hotel, perfect for a memorable and romantic stay. Moreover our roman villa is like an oasis very quiet, but at short distance from the ancient ruins of Circus Maximus, Colosseum and Roman Forums, and the other attractions can be reached with a pleasant walk as you experienced.
We also thank you very much for suggesting a visit to our website before booking the room, in fact it is possible to find some interesting offers and complimentary upgrade for our best rooms.
We looking forward for your next stay in San Anselmo hotel!

Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed for four nights at the beginning of our recent stay in Italy, before heading south to Naples. This was our second visit to Rome so I knew I wanted to stay somewhere close to the main attractions but not in the "heart" of it all - and this hotel fit the bill precisely. The location in Aventine Hill is wonderful: beautiful surroundings, quiet neighborhood, and a quick walk to Testaccio for some of the best most authentic (and affordable) food in Rome. The hotel would have a cab for us in 5 minutes any time we needed one to take a quick ride elsewhere.

Our room was absolutely gorgeous and easily had one of the most beautiful bathrooms I've ever had the pleasure to use in Italy! The spa-style tub was especially nice after a long day of walking. The breakfast buffet was top notch, with everything from hot eggs and bacon to cold cuts, fresh fruit, and lots of pastries. Staff was very accommodating and friendly, offering hot chocolate when we'd return in the evenings, and going out of their way to try to find a bar or restaurant where we could watch an NFL playoff game. Bed was comfortable with enough pillows (hard and softer) to make for comfortable sleeping.

My only complaint was with the wifi internet. It was a bit slow our first and second day, but almost unusable by the third. When I asked at the desk they were aware of the problem but unable to do anything about it until a technician was scheduled to come by to troubleshoot it - after we were scheduled to leave.

Overall, though, a great hotel. Pricey, but worth it, I would definitely stay here again if I had a few nights to splurge in Rome.

2  Thank sockii
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel San Anselmo, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear guest,
thank you so much for your beautiful review about our San Anselmo hotel.
The entire team is thrilled by your kind praises!!!
Providing attentive and friendly service is always on top of our mind and we are delighted to know that the ambience and location of our hotel contributed to the lovely memories we wish our precious guest to go home with!!!
Looking forward to take good care of you during your next visit to the Eternal City!!!

Reviewed 13 January 2014

We have just spent three nights as this hotel (literally got home 2 hours ago) and I cannot say enough good things about our visit. As per other reviews, this hotel is slightly off the beaten track, but a 20 minute walk gets you to the Coliseum. We were welcomed with hot chocolate, and guided up to a very charming themed room, that rendered a comfortable stay with the style. The buffet breakfasts were superb, the fresh orange juice really was freshly made. The scrambled eggs were delicious and there was a wide selection of food to cater for every taste. Wi-Fi was good and passwords are issued for as many devices as you have (they ask as you check in). All the staff were supremely polite and could not do enough to make the stay welcoming.

3  Thank Richard S
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel San Anselmo, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear Richard,
thank you very much for thinking about us as soon as you got back home! It really seems that our hotel gave you an excellent impression! We really appreciate your nice words about the location and the hotel, but, above all, we thank you for your compliments about our attentive and kind service!
We wait you for another wonderful trip in the Eternal City!

Reviewed 9 January 2014

I loved the location of this hotel, off the tourist track in the residential Aventine Hill section of the city, away from the tourist traffic, but still just a short walk from Circus Maximus and the Colosseum.

The Hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the metro, but I recommend a taxi to/from the airport because dragging luggage up the hill would have been a hassle. For sightseeing though, the location is not a problem, about a 20 minute walk to the back of the Colosseum. It was well worth the walk to have a quiet place to come back to in the evenings.

We were greeted with cold drinks and invited to afternoon tea in the breakfast area where they had tea, cakes, and board games. They were more than happy to honor our last minute request for a room with a bathtub, and were very helpful with arranging taxis, etc.

The room was very romantic and had a big bathtub and a heated towel rack. the only minor gripe was that it was either too hot or too cold, we could never seem to get the thermostat to cooporate.

Breakfast was adequate, but nothing special...eggs, bacon, yogurt, pastries, juice, cereal. I was very irritated when one morning, as we were planning our day over breakfast, one of the staff came and asked us to finish up because they needed the table. I get that it's a small hotel, but I don't think we should've been hurried out just because another guest arrived late and was antsy. This really left a bad impression on me.

Overall though, a nice, romantic hotel with excellent service outside of breakfast.

2  Thank PoconoPolly

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your wonderful review about our charming and romantic hotel San Anselmo!
I’m so happy to know your vacation was very pleasant and especially that you loved the perfect location and the afternoon service, which is always a moment to get in touch with guests. Indeed we work very hard every day to pamper our guests that the reason because I’m so sorry to know you were annoyed by the attitude of the staff at the breakfast room, and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience occurred. I assure you I will take immediate action to correct this unfriendly behaviour.
We really hope to welcome you again in our hotel San Anselmo!