1,252 results
All reviews aventine hill circus maximus testaccio area beautiful hotel circo massimo jacuzzi bath orange trees four poster bed minute walk our honeymoon quiet area central rome pastries beautiful room cold meats around the corner roman forum
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We stayed here for four nights from 7th February. We arrived Friday afternoon and were immediately greeted with a welcome juice and a free upgrade to a stunning room across the courtyard.

The setting for the hotel is absolutely beautiful and the surrounding area is just as pleasant. The room consisted of a massive downstairs bathroom and was beautifully decorated. It was as romantic a hotel as I have ever stayed in surrounded by orange and lemon trees. The hotel even surprised us with prosecco and strawberries on my birthday.

It is a short walk into the city centre with a few hills but if you enjoy walking then the walk itself is very pleasant with a surprise around ever corner, for example, just behind the hotel is a keyhole where you can look at the dome of St. Peter's and a park which has a stunning view of the city at night time. The breakfast was excellent and the hotel were kind enough to recommend a great restaurant called Angelinas the night of my birthday which was lovely. We had some drinks in the bar one afternoon which came with a lovely selection of canapés which was a nice surprise.

The restaurants in the suburb itself are all local, very reasonably priced and very enjoyable, well away from the tourist traps of the city centre. All in all a very enjoyable stay and I would highly recommend this hotel, my only one negative would be that it would be nice if the reception were a little more forthcoming with assistance about getting to the airport when you check out but other than that no complaints whatsoever!

We booked online well in advance and got a great deal so the hotel was great value!

Room Tip: I asked for a big bath and we were upgraded to a stunning room across the courtyard
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bridmc56
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel San Anselmo, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your compliments about our little boutique hotel San Anselmo! It is a pleasure to learn that you met your expectations and, especially, that you loved the “Vanity Room”, the deluxe room that was given to you, whose main characteristic is the beautiful big bathroom! Moreover we really appreciate your nice words about the service and the perfect location.
We wait you for a next stay in Rome!

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Many times I have driven by this hotel on previous trips and decided to stay in Aventino this time. This hotel is a visual feast from the moment you walk thru the entrance. The rooms are elegantly appointed with large luxurious bathtubs. The hotel is located in a posh residential area so you and not dodging cars and hordes of people. I am literally writing this review from their complementary Apple computer my first night here. It REALLY is THAT impressive. Book on the hotel site for better rates. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: There is a buffet on special occasions in their sister hotel. Don't bother. there are many excellent restaurants in the area.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank traveltheworldcs
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel San Anselmo, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Dear Guest,
thank you very much for this beautiful comment and for your nice thought about us…you make our day..!!

We are so glad to know that you had this good feeling from the first moment in the Hotel San Anselmo and you appreciated our decorated room with luxurious bathtubs..
Thank you very much again for your words, we are really proud about them.
We hope to have you again as a precious guest for another pleasant trip in the eternal city.!!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

The hotel has real character, it is elegant, youthful and oozing boutique class. The service is second to none. They jump to your assistance and are always on hand. They bring you drinks on arrival, a nice touch.

The rooms are beautiful, ours was a complimentary upgrade to an annex house with its own orange tree.

The breakfast is a full spread with fresh coffee to order.

The gardens are cosy and lovely and there are several indoor areas to relax or work.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tyfairclough
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel San Anselmo, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear guest,
First of all thank you for sharing your personal experience in our hotel! We are very glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us very much and that, above all, you loved the San Anselmo’s unique style. We thank you for your compliments about our sincere and distinctive service and also for our rich breakfast.
We hope to have you gain amongst us for another special stay in the Eternal City!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for our first romantic break away in November 2013 and absolutely loved it. The hotel is luxuriously decorated, so elegant. We managed to get upgraded to a deluxe room which had a four poster bed and was so stunning (a big thank you to the San Anselmo and also Katia at Aventino hotels for that!) The hotel serves a lovely selection of food for breakfast and there is lovely little courtyard area at the back of the hotel to relax in.
When booking I was concerned about the location of the hotel as it seemed so far from the main tourist attractions but having stayed there I can say that the location was perfect for us. Its about 20 min leisurely walk to colosseum, about 30 mins to Trevvi and 50mins to Vatican. It may sound long but it was at a very leisurely walking pace and included stopping to take photos of sights along the way. The Keyhole at the Knights of Malta Gardens is literally just up the street from the hotel and was well worth a visit.
The best thing about the location is that after spending the day sightseeing in the hectic and busy tourist areas the quiet and peaceful location of our hotel was a welcome retreat. My boyfriend and I both agreed that we will return again to hotel San Anselmo as the experience was so good.
One tip would be to use the hotels direct website for Aventino hotel group to book as it has better value than all the other booking websites, and they give discounts for multi night stays. I saved about €40 by booking direct with hotel. Also if you book well in advance you can get a very reasonable price for your stay.
A word of advice for women going to Rome...I wouldn't bother to pack high heels as most street are cobbled and you will destroy your shoes, bring a wedge heel or nice pair of flats instead.

Room Tip: A lot of the room photos on the web are deluxe rooms so it's probably worth paying the little bit extra because they are gorgeous. If you like a particular room from the online photos email the hotel as they will try to accommodate your requests where possible.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 750Joanne

Dear guest,
It is a real pleasure reading your nice and positive words about our boutique hotel! Katia and the rest of the staff are very thrilled to be mentioned in your review! San Anselmo is a very elegant hotel, perfect for a memorable and romantic stay. Moreover our roman villa is like an oasis very quiet, but at short distance from the ancient ruins of Circus Maximus, Colosseum and Roman Forums, and the other attractions can be reached with a pleasant walk as you experienced.
We also thank you very much for suggesting a visit to our website before booking the room, in fact it is possible to find some interesting offers and complimentary upgrade for our best rooms.
We looking forward for your next stay in San Anselmo hotel!

Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed for four nights at the beginning of our recent stay in Italy, before heading south to Naples. This was our second visit to Rome so I knew I wanted to stay somewhere close to the main attractions but not in the "heart" of it all - and this hotel fit the bill precisely. The location in Aventine Hill is wonderful: beautiful surroundings, quiet neighborhood, and a quick walk to Testaccio for some of the best most authentic (and affordable) food in Rome. The hotel would have a cab for us in 5 minutes any time we needed one to take a quick ride elsewhere.

Our room was absolutely gorgeous and easily had one of the most beautiful bathrooms I've ever had the pleasure to use in Italy! The spa-style tub was especially nice after a long day of walking. The breakfast buffet was top notch, with everything from hot eggs and bacon to cold cuts, fresh fruit, and lots of pastries. Staff was very accommodating and friendly, offering hot chocolate when we'd return in the evenings, and going out of their way to try to find a bar or restaurant where we could watch an NFL playoff game. Bed was comfortable with enough pillows (hard and softer) to make for comfortable sleeping.

My only complaint was with the wifi internet. It was a bit slow our first and second day, but almost unusable by the third. When I asked at the desk they were aware of the problem but unable to do anything about it until a technician was scheduled to come by to troubleshoot it - after we were scheduled to leave.

Overall, though, a great hotel. Pricey, but worth it, I would definitely stay here again if I had a few nights to splurge in Rome.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sockii
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel San Anselmo, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear guest,
thank you so much for your beautiful review about our San Anselmo hotel.
The entire team is thrilled by your kind praises!!!
Providing attentive and friendly service is always on top of our mind and we are delighted to know that the ambience and location of our hotel contributed to the lovely memories we wish our precious guest to go home with!!!
Looking forward to take good care of you during your next visit to the Eternal City!!!