“A unique experience in Rome”
Review of Hotel San Anselmo

Hotel San Anselmo
Ranked #44 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“A unique experience in Rome”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

This hotel is very different, tucked away in a suburb, but very near to the attractions it is a one off. Decor and ambiance can't be beaten. Staff very attentive and helpful. Great continental breakfast that will get you through most of the day. The gardens are a treat, having breakfast under the Orange trees is a pretty one off experience. Rooms are spacious and nicely decorated. Not cheap, but it is Rome.

Room Tip: They are all pretty unique and decorated individually.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank melmoff
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel San Anselmo, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Guest,
thank you so much for your generous feedback about our property on the Aventino hill.!! In the Hotel San Anselmo you can easily feel the right atmosphere, surrounded by antique furniture, golden chandeliers and historical pictures of ancient Rome...moreover it is located in a very special and peaceful area but so close to the main archeological attractions.
I am glad you enjoyed our delicious breakfast, the best way to start the new day..!!!
we really hope to see you again for another pleasant trip in the eternal city.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This was our first stop on our 10 day trip to Italy and we could not have been more pleased with the Hotel San Anselmo! Our room was spacious, the tub and shower delightful, and the balcony a real treat!
The staff were very helpful, especially when we had a problem with our credit card and they let us use the hotel phone to make the call, which lasted over an hour. it was late in the evening but they were very gracious and happy that all was resolved. They are also great at making recommendations for restaurants in the area.
We always felt very safe in this quiet neighborhood since we were always walking everywhere.

The breakfast room is delightful and the food was very good. There was a large selection of pastries, eggs and even meats and the waiters were helpful. The garden was so nice and the tress and flowers smelled wonderful. It is a great place to sit with a cup of tea or coffee.
If you want to stay in Rome but be in a beautiful, quiet neighborhood this is the hotel for you. We would definitely recommend it and hope to get back there some day!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Diane D
Dear Mrs. Diane,
thank you for choosing the Hotel San Anselmo for your roman holiday..!!
I am so pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and we pride ourselves on providing our guests with warm and genuine service.
I am so proud that our entire team was successful in achieving ythis with you.!!
We remain at your service for another memorable roman experience..!!!
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 5 May 2014

If you are traveling with your significant other this is a great place to stay. The hotel itself is small and beautiful, the decoration is very unique and each rooms has a theme. We stayed at one of the regular bedrooms but there wasn't anything regular at all as it was excellent! The room size isn't much but for a couple this was not problem at all. The bathroom is very clean and well designed and the shower is great as it delivers very hot water with lots of pressure.

The breakfast is also excellent as it offers a variety of juices, fruits, chesses, meats, breads and pastries. It also includes eggs (scrambled and boiled), bacon, and very good coffee. The hotel has a patio around the back and it is filled with beautiful threes and tables to sit and have some coffee or wine and enjoy the morning or evening.

The hotel offers free Wi-Fi but we were unable to connect to it from our room on the third floor. However, the Wi-Fi worked perfectly on the main floor outside in the garden or in the beautiful library room next to the small but charming bar.

The service was incredible. Every person from the staff we met while at this hotel was very courteous and charming. One night we came to the hotel very tired and very late after walking around Rome for hours and the person working in the reception area did not hesitate to make us an excellent cappuccino when we asked if there was coffee around.

They also helped us print our boarding passes for our Ryan Air flight to Spain the next day as this airline will charge you quite a few Euros if you don't show up with printed boarding passes. Also, every morning we were the last people to show up for breakfast and all of the food and drinks where available to us until we left the dinning area, even it was a bit late.

The hotel is within walking distance of everything you want to see in Rome. If you don't mind walking you'll never need a bus or train but make sure you wear comfortable shoes! My wife and I walked from the hotel to the Coliseum (15 minutes), to the Fountain Trevi (25 minutes), Spanish steps (around 30 minutes) and even to the Vatican which took us about an hour which we enjoyed walking very much. There is a taxi station, train stop and buses available just down the hill from the hotel if walking is not your thing and it is all less than minutes away from the hotel.

The location felt very safe as well, my wife returned to the hotel walking every night after 12AM and we felt safe and saw other couples and groups walking around as well.

In summary, this is the perfect hotel while in Rome for couples that want to explore the city on foot and have some quiet and relaxation while in it. This will be our hotel of choice every time we travel to Rome from now on.

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor and our room was excellent. Might need to stay at a lower floor room to...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ricardodsanchez
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel San Anselmo, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Guests,
thank you very much for your generous feedback about our Hotel San Anselmo.!!
We are so glad you had a fantastic stay with us and your words fill us with pride and happiness...and encourage us to do always the best for our affectionate and precious guests.!!
Hoping to see you very soon in our property for another pleasant trip in the eternal city.!!
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

After returning from my first holiday adventure to Rome on my own I can definitely say it was a most enjoyable experience. My room was decorated beautifully. The name of it was camera del sole room 816. It does not have a bath but a large shower. Not the biggest of rooms if sharing but ideal for me. Breakfast selection was delicious with lots of choice. One morning i had to go on a trip at 6.30 in the morning and a takeaway breakfast was provided for me which to be honest would have lasted me all day :) Staff very friendly and lovely area to stay in. Felt very safe and peaceful.
Did a lot of walking as there is so much to see and usually got taxi back at end of day from central Rome which cost 15 to 20 euros. No need to pack heels as feet normally sore and lots of cobbled
areas making it difficult to walk. Very casual.
I found the people in Rome very friendly and helpful.
If I do return to Rome I would stay here again and will definitely recommend it to friends.
My only complaint would be that I asked reception to book me a taxi to the airport. A rackety old mini van with a big dent in the side arrived for me with no taxi sign on it. No meter inside and not the most comfortable of journeys. When I asked how much it was going to be to the airport due to there being no meter I was told 48 euros. I was disappointed as I had booked bobslimos on the way there to take me from the airport to my hotel and was greeted by a very personable man with my name on a board who took me in a very comfortable Sudan for 49 euros. The service was much nicer. If i had of realised i would have done the same on my return journey as it was not the
way I had planned on ending my holiday.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Bernadette274
Shipston-on-Stour, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Found this treasure of a place randomly and lived everything about it. It was all we wanted and more of our stay in rome. The decor is imaginatively modern luxe and the staff charming. The aventine is a great location for a stroll to some interesting landmarks.

• Stayed May 2014
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel San Anselmo, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear guest,
thank you very much for your nice words!
It is a pleasure to learn that your stay was so good that you can't wait to come back!
We are also looking forward to welcome you again in the San Anselmo hotel!
London
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the San Anselmo back over Easter for four nights and were delighted with our choice. Rome has hundreds of hotels but we wanted something small with character and away from traffic and noise. We definitely feel we made the right choice for the time of the year.

We selected our room from the hotel website and we were both very pleased. In English I believe it translated to the 'room of the poet'. The room size was good, it had lovely large windows with shutters and a surprisingly big bathroom. It was perfect for our brief stay. However if I was to stay again then I'd probably opt for a room with a bath to help soothe aching feet after long days walking, and a balcony to make the most of morning and afternoon sunshine.

The only slight downside was some noise from the nearby property development and what I think was bin lorries early one morning. However, not a deal breaker.

Breakfast was lovely and there was a surprisingly good selection. Staff were friendly, efficient and on hand to bring you tea and coffee.

The location was a big selling point for me. It was normally very quiet, leafy and surrounded by beautiful churches and gardens...so something to explore in the mornings. The downside was that we did shell out on cabs a few times simply because we were exhausted from being out all day and were too tired to walk back after hearty Italian dinners in the centre.

The hotel provide maps and lists of nearby restaurants but these are a good 5-10 minute walk away, so I'd recommend against wearing high heels! Buses and the metro are also five mins walk away at the bottom of the hill.

Afternoon tea is served up to 6pm from memory. So if you're back from visiting tourist attractions early then you can help yourself to a cup of tea with some lovely homemade biscuits to eat either in the garden or inside. A nice little touch!

This little hotel was special in its own right but even more so as my boyfriend proposed whilst we were in Rome, so something we look forward to returning to one day for an anniversary!

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank SunshineBluesLondon
Dear guest,
thank you so much for your lovely review about our hotel! We are so glad to learn that your stay was chosen for the proposal and it will remain in your memory forever!
We are sure you will visit us again to celebrate your anniversary and we will pamper you with a special care!
Best wishes!
Coral Springs, FL
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We've stayed at many a Ritz Carlton, W's, etc. For a quaint elegant Roman boutique hotel experience....stay here. We stayed in "Angelique" room (beige room with big billowy canopy) overlooking the courtyard. The scent of orange blossoms filled the room daily from a tree just beneath our open window. Bed is very hard and room itself was quite small with all of the drapery. Slept quite well after walking many miles around Rome each day. Breakfast is fantastic. Ask for a cappuccino each morning and have breakfast in the courtyard. Wear durable comfortable shoes. Walk up and down hill to town isn't very far, but a bit steep and rough surfaces. Do not forget to go to top of hill behind hotel to the old Church and look through the "peephole". Park nearby overlooks the city is breathtaking. Loved it. Don't forget your plug adapters!!

Room Tip: Spend a little more and get the largest rooms. We didn't mind too much, but most rooms are very...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,
we are very glad to learn that your stay was memorable! We thank you for your nice words about the Angelica room that is so charming, like the rest of the hotel afterwards!
We are sure your positive review will help other travelers to discover the little but amazing hotel San Anselmo!