“I give it a 10!”

Ranked #42 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Murrieta, California
“I give it a 10!”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

I love romantic boutique hotels! Room was beautifully decorated, staff couldn't have been more helpful, breakfast in the garden was delicious and you are steps from the famous "Keyhole". What more could you ask for. They sent up champagne for us when they found out

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AmyZee1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We had two rooms in late July, my wife, myself, and two boys. Rooms were smallish, but very nice. Both had balconies, very comfortable beds and well laid-out bathrooms.We found the service attentive, but not overly so. Breakfast was super.

But the key for me was the location. vitually on top of the Aventine, near the monestary, the Maltese residence and the orange garden which looks out towards the Vatican. Peaceful and relaxing. A great counterbalance to the rest of our stay in Rome.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank John S
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

My husband & I stayed here for ten nights. We booked a double room & we requested a bath in our En-suite which we got. On arrival we were welcomed by the receptionist & a very friendly waiter gave us some juice. Our luggage was taken to our room by another member of staff. We were given room number 808 which was very small, but had a Hugh bed that was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was small & there wasn't a lot of space to leave toiletries . We always had lots of hot water & the towels and bed linen were changed every day.
There was a beautiful dining room & a lovely garden to eat breakfast in.
The food was really nice & a great variety of it. This hotel is situated in a lovely quiet place but it was a bit too far away from the main attractions for us. We must say a big THANK YOU to the waiters who served us tea in the morning . They were so friendly & helpful.
Thank you too , to the cleaning staff who left some sweets in the room for us each day. I would recommend to other people.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bridgie C
Berwick, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Loved this hotel! We stayed here for 4 nights at the end of July 2014. It was the beginning of our 5 week trip through Europe. The staff where very helpful. They helped us so much with train times tables, restaurants to eat at, shopping etc etc. We don't know much Italian so it would have been very hard for us if the staff weren't so helpful.

The location of the hotel is fantastic! Within walking distance to lots of restaurants, the Colosseum & lots of other touristy things to see & do. The train station is also just down the road which basically takes you anywhere. It's also located in a very leafy & pretty part of Rome with the keyhole lookout just around the corner & a gorgeous park that you must stroll through at sun down & catch the view of the city.

The breakfast was fresh & had loads of variety. Very Italian with lots of cold meats & cheeses.. & set in a lovely quaint little courtyard area. Very peaceful. Loved it!

The room was a good size. Not that we spent much time in it but with 2 huge suitcases it was big enough so we did not feel all cramped. The weather was quite hot while we where there & the rooms where quite cool. The decor was trendy but at the same time we felt like we where in Rome. Timeless... We had a room with a balcony & the view was beautiful. While I hadn't adjusted to the time change, I sat on the edge of the balcony most nights, all night watching the sun come up & feeling like I was on top of the world.

I booked this hotel from the reviews on trip advisor, & could not of been more satisfied. I always do all the reservations & organising of all our holidays & my husband felt the same way. We were both very happy & so glad we spent those 4 nights here, because it helped start our holiday off perfectly. (& it was great value for money!) highly recommended!

Thank you!!!

Mr & Mrs Beattie

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Delia B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Situated away from the hustle and bustle, yet lots of things are in walking distance. Extremely helpful staff, both friendly and efficient. Our room was sumptuous and fairly spacious. Lovely garden area where we would have our coffee / aperitifs. A fantastic stay, thank you.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank MazJim
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel San Anselmo, responded to this review, 17 September 2014
Dear guest,
thank you so much for your positive review and thank you for appreciating about our rich and decorated rooms!
We are looking forward to pamper you again!
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I'm really sorry to have to say this but for a four star hotel it is not up to par.I was really excited being a solo traveller and came across such lovely reviews on tripadvisor which spired me on to book. When I arrived to the hotel I was wowed by not only by the beauty of the area (residential and away from the hustle and bustle) but the chic décor both inside and out. The hotel receptionist was okay and o was greeted with a nice refreshment. I was given my hotel key and that's when everything went down hill and the regrets of paying for a four star hotel smacked me across the face.
1. I realise I'm in Italy and its scorching but the air conditioning was up so high, its was so cold it as unreal,i thought no problem I will just adjust it but no, its either broken or doesn't work at all and I have seen the same review on this throughout. I looked in the hotel handbook for some help but nothing although I did see that it said that there is an extra duvet in the wardrobe if I needed one(i wonder why eh) well well well I looked and instead of a duvet there was an extra pillow.
2.Wow long trip I need to have a shower but guess what the shower head is leaking so I had water coming from the head and the bit that connects the head not to mention the size of the shower and how poorly designed it is, the water goes absolutely everywhere and floods the whole shower room (not an exaggeration)
3. The toilet flush is not a handle like in the uk so when I went to press it came apart, its broken and not fixed on so you can lift the flap and see inside(not impressed)
4. Please do not go in room 804 there was a permanent draining problem which I could hear water flowing outside my door for most of the night and I know it didn't rain while I was asleep, yuk.
5. The walls are paper thin, no lie it took me back to my childhood playing in a cardboard box

On the other hand breakfast was to die for, simply irresistible and the waiting staff are wonderful and the key to me not complaining. Go to this hotel at your own risk just don't go to room 804

Room Tip: Ask not to go in room 804
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
7 Thank 782solotraveller9
FamigliaPiroli, Direttore at Hotel San Anselmo, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear sir,
I am really sorry that your stay with us did not meet your expectations.
I definitely agree with you that a good hotel should not have these problems, and I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced in room 804.
Unfortunately the online agency through you made the booking did not specify that this room has lack of comfort that is why it was sold at low rate. Anyhow, I realize, that high standards of quality which distinguish our hotel were definitely not meet during your stay and I completely understand your disappointment.
Again, please accept our apologizes and I hope in the future we will have the pleasure to host again in one of our best rooms at San Anselmo hotel.
Regards.
Helsinki
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Spent four days in Rome in the start of August with my wife. The city was hot, so it was nice to have a break in the afternoon in our beautiful, air-conditioned room (Mille Baci). The hotel is comfortably located in a quiter area not far away from the city center, which was easily reachable either by walking or via bus or metro.

All the necessary amenities were in the room or at the hotel, the breakfast was very good and staff always nice and helpful.

Absolutely recommendable.