“Lovely boutique style hotel in quiet location”
Review of Hotel San Anselmo

Hotel San Anselmo
Ranked #43 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 14 May 2010

Hotel was lovely and staff were very helpful. Just a couple of tube stations away from the Colossum - we found that Piramide was the best station to walk to from the hotel. We booked a delux double room and were not disappointed - super king size bed!. After walking all day in Rome (which is very busy in May) we came back to quiet and tranquility and a jacuzi bath which was very welcome. Sister hotel just around the corner provides evening restaurant. However suggest going to find local restaurants which provide fantastic food. If I was going to visit Rome again I would definately stay in this hotel again as it was just what we like and that combined with a fantastic city to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary was just great. Breakfast offered lots to choose from. Only disappointment was the sandwiches which we ordered at the hotel for lunch before we left for the airport. - small toasted cheese sandwiches - that's all they could do and very expensive for what they were.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sara187791

Reviewed 14 April 2010

We were at San Anselmo for easter and were very happy with the hotel overall. Room was lovely, we had a balcony which was very nice. It is a nice, quiet area, a walk from the city centre as other reviewers have mentioned.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2010

The hotel is located in a very lovely area just to the south of the very centre of Rome, an upscale residential area but which is also very close to restaurants, sightseeing points, etc. It certainly is not remote from the centre of Rome, as it is quite easy (and cheap) to get a taxi to the local metro station or to such attractions as the Coliseum, or simply walk. The staff could not be faulted for anything, being very helpful and yet discrete - the front desk staff could not be more accommodating with any request. The hotel serves a very nice breakfast, which should be eaten outside in the back garden if the weather permits. While not having its own restaurant for dinner, the sister Hotel San Pio around the corner is a good spot for dinner (maitre d' is Stefano). The hotel staff will also recommend many good restaurants within walking distance in the area - be sure to try Trattoria de Bucatino on Via Luca Della Robbia, which looks very plain from outside but is one of those great family-run neighbourhood restaurants where the locals go for good honest Italian food.
The rooms in the hotel are absolutely lovely - make sure to upgrade if you can get a reasonable rate, as it is certainly worth the extra money, even given the fact that the standard rooms are still superior to most hotels.
As a recommendation, I would suggest strolling along to the wooden gate of the adjacent Order of Malta headquarters, which gives you a narrow view directly across Rome to the Vatican via a hole in the gate itself, and then taking a walk through the nearby orange tree park (ask at the hotel reception for directions) to get a great view of Rome from a height. Then go back out of the park itself and take the walkway running parallel to the park, which brings you down to the river - walk 600-700 metres along the riverbank, and either catch the 23 bus to the Vatican or stroll across the pedestrian bridge (Ponte Fabricio) on to the Isola Tiberina, and on from there to the rest of Rome...
I would certainly highly recommend this hotel to anybody who wants to visit Rome but who wants to avoid the hustle and bustle, and yet be close to all of the sightseeing activity.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2010

We stayed in this charming hotel for our honeymoon in the Summer of 2008. My husband made his decision by looking at its reviews in Trip Adviser, and I'm glad he did so. All good things that have been said about this place, they are true.

First of all, it is located in a very quiet, upscale residential area. The building itself used to be a private villa before being turned into a hotel. But don't think that it is in a remote area; we could walk from the hotel to the T-station (and the next station is Colosseum) in about 10 minutes. And it is a very nice walk. If you take a cab from the hotel, it takes 10 minutes to the central Rome, for 7-8 Euros.

The room we stayed was beautifully furnished. Oh and the bathroom... Beautiful red marbles and the luxurious shower area are what I remember. Usually I'm disgusted to use hotel bathrooms no matter how clean they look, but I felt very comfortable in this place.

The only possibly negative thing I can say about the room is the fact that they joined two twin beds to make a bed for two. You could feel the gap between the beds when lying. But we were so captured by all the other nice things about the hotel, it did not bother us that much. This was also mentioned in the hotel reviews, so we expected that.

They offer a rich breakfast in their peaceful backyard. Breakfast included tea, coffee, cheese and jam varieties, boiled eggs, cherry tomatoes, butter, honey, Nutella, cereal, etc. However, they do not have a restaurant to offer dinner. Still not a problem. They have a sister hotel in 5 minute walk: Hotel Villa San Pio. We had dinner there two nights and it was great. It was also very romantic to walk back to our hotel after the dinner.

I don't understand why some people told in their reviews that the staff were negligent. They were very kind to us.

So in all, we were very satisfied by our experience in Hotel San Anselmo. We can't wait to go back and stay there again. I say, don't even search for other hotels. This is the place to stay in Rome.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bahar_Adem
Reviewed 25 January 2010

beautiful location and interior design, very good and reach breakfast. The only negative thing we found was that the room was a bit small for us. The staff are very friendly and helpful and we'd definately stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 November 2009

I would SO stay here again!

After a bit of a difficult start when we tried to book about 6-7 months ahead (in which I was told that if we wanted to reserve a specific standard room, #823 L’Angelica in this case, we would have to pay the price of a deluxe room, i.e., 50% more), they finally agreed to reserve L'Angelica for us at the standard price of €180, and they honored that.

If you like good design and appreciate details, you owe it to yourself to consider this hotel. It is gorgeous and so well executed! I fanaticize that it’s owned by a person of means, who wanted everything done as exquisitely as possible, no matter that corners could have been cut to save money (and almost no one would have noticed). But I can’t tell that any corners were cut. The result is something you have to see to fully appreciate.

In addition to interior design that is out-of-this-world romantic and almost “decadent” in terms of luxury – but in a fresh and unstuffy way – the hotel is also located in a lovely area of the city. Both our taxi drivers told us it is an expensive residential area. I guess so: the residence of the Egyptian Ambassador to the Vatican is practically next door. It was so nice to return to this quiet and peaceful area each evening, and to wake up there each morning. No horns, no sirens. No hustle and bustle.

Breakfast was extensive, of high quality, and beautifully presented. My husband wasn’t happy that they didn’t serve cooked eggs (other than cold, boiled eggs), and he said he was unimpressed with the cereal selection (assorted Kellogg’s options, none of the good granolas he usually enjoys getting in Europe). But there was a wide assortment of other offerings, including salmon. And the room itself! Wow! I would say the hallmark of this hotel is its attention to detail. Even the cappuccinos were made in such a way as to leave a white heart on the top.

Some of the other above-and-beyond details we noted: The toiletries weren’t just set out on a tray in the bathroom. Instead, waiting for us there were two small, monogrammed (silk?) bags holding toiletries. I liked the toiletries, but don’t know the brand because they came in attractive bottles with the hotel’s name and logo. It seemed that each of the two mornings we were there, if there was a partial bottle of body wash or shampoo, it was taken away and replaced with an unopened bottle. That was certainly unnecessary on our account, but was an example of the 5-star service they provided. As someone else said about the Sant’ Anselmo, it had 5-star quality for 3-star prices.

Our room was small (though the bathroom was fabulous!) but I think the standard rooms are a much better value for the money than the deluxe rooms, which are 50% more.

There is no restaurant on the premises, but they will make you a simple sandwich in the bar, which can be eaten in the lounge. Ours was very simple: two pieces of bread and cheese – no butter, no mayo, no mustard, no lettuce and tomato. I don’t remember the price, but it wasn’t cheap. However, it did fit the bill for that night, as we’d had a later lunch and weren’t very hungry.

The drawbacks:
The hill. It was absolutely worth it for us to climb the hill in order to stay in that lovely area, away from the noise of the city center, and yet in easy walking distance to most things we wanted to see (though for the Vatican we caught bus #23 – buy your ticket first at the tobacco shop). However, we stayed there in October. I would not – not even once – want to make that walk uphill in summer! Assuming the hotel is air conditioned, I would still want to stay there in the summer, but we would need to plan on a taxi ride for the return up the hill. We did that one night after dinner, and it was € 8 from the Pantheon.

An area for improvement:
In general, the staff could stand to be quite a bit friendlier and still present a professional image. Quite often their formality had an almost wooden stiffness to it. We’re on vacation. Lighten up. Make us feel welcome. (I would still go there again. If you want to know why, look at the photos. :)) We would like to commend the man behind the desk when we arrived, however. We refused to be cheated by the taxi driver, and the driver followed us into the hotel, saying we hadn’t paid what we owed. (See crime tips below.) The hotel employee handled it with grace and poise, I suppose telling the taxi driver (in Italian) that we were saying we didn’t owe it. He remained professional throughout, and when I asked him to call the police, he picked up the phone (which sent the taxi driver on his way).

Crime tips:
Our cab fare from the RR station, where we dropped off the rental car, was just under € 29. My husband was low on Euros, so I pulled out a 20 (the only one I had) and a 10 and handed it to my husband, who handed it to the driver. As I was putting my wallet away and my husband was reaching into his pocket for some more coins for the tip, the driver switched the bills and said we’d only given him a 10 and a 5. But the 20 was gone from my wallet, and my husband said he had seen that it was a 20. Our plan from then on was to hold out the money before handing it over and saying, “Do you agree that this is a 20 and a 10 [or whatever]?”

How you carry your bag could get you killed. While we were in Rome, we saw pictures in the newspaper of a woman who’d been pulled into the street by a would-be pickpocket. He was on a motorbike, and when he tried to grab her purse, he couldn’t get it because she had the strap crisscrossed across her body (over one shoulder and under the opposite arm – the same way my husband was carrying his camera bag). His attempt pulled her into the street. Thankfully, she wasn’t killed – miracle enough on the streets in Rome! But it was a lesson not to walk too close to the streets. I wore my camera bag like a fanny pack, with an additional strap around the neck. Figured if they cut it one way there would be a back-up. It helps if it’s cool enough to wear a sweater or lightweight jacket over all that. We can never ensure that we’ll be 100% safe, but we can do things to discourage their picking us as a target in the first place.

In conclusion:
The Sant' Anselmo isn't perfect, but it is an incredible, incredible place. Rome wasn't my choice (I wanted to go back to Croatia), but I have the most special memories of being there, and it's largely because we stayed at the Sant' Alselmo.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ScheckTrek
Reviewed 1 November 2009

We learned of this hotel from my husband's business friend who lives in northern Italy and visits family in this neighborhood. We wanted a place that would suit our party of three couples staying in Rome for several days at the end of a cruise. This place completely filled the bill, and was described by some of our party as the best part of our Roman stay.

Those of us who weren't keen on traipsing all day welcomed the away-from-the-bustle location, and spent time relaxing in the garden or exploring the neighborhood. This area is home to embassies, old churches, walled garden villas, schools and monasteries. The walkers among us weren't much daunted by the south-of-the-Roman-Forum location, although there were days when we just plain quit walking and called a cab to get back to the hotel.

I'd say this hotel does not see itself as primarily a tourist hotel. Guests in the breakfast room appeared to come from many continents, and were not (as we were) perusing their guidebooks. Each day staff at the front desk helped us find and make reservations at local restaurants, but it seemed to me that hand-holding with tourists might not be a favorite duty.

We walked to the sister hotel's restaurant (good, moderate prices) and also Apuleius restaurant (good but expensive). We also walked down the hill, along the river and across the Ponte Palatine to Trastevere for more casual, reasonably-priced restaurants.

Owner and staff were willing to negotiate a lower rate for three rooms, and arranged for a driver and a no-frills minivan to meet us at the cruise ship port to transport us and lots of luggage to the hotel for a reasonable price.

If you stay at Sant'Anselmo, be sure to visit one of my all-time favorite churches, the early-Christian-era Santa Sabina (ca. 432) set in a lovely rose garden. The carved wooden doors may have inspired the later bronze doors of Bishop Bernward at Hildesheim (1015).

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends