“Good”

Ranked #1,143 of 1,261 Hotels in Rome
Derby, United Kingdom
“Good”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

Although this is a really basic hotel the location makes up for that. It is right in the hub of all sights. It was very clean. The breakfast was continental with good coffee. For how long you are in the rooms when you visit Rome this is a very good hotel just to wash, sleep and have breakfast.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Louise R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Myself and my other half stayed here in February 2013 for a weekend, we arrived at the hotel at around 11 the walk from the train station was easy. The hotel staff allowed us to check in right away which was good as we wanted to get out and see Rome as quick as possible. As we were shown to our room we were told the lift wasn't working, our room was at the top of the building (a lot of stairs). Once in the room we found it to be very basic (price reflecting) it was clean, which was the main thing. The shower was a bit temperamental with its heats. If you sit on the toilet you have a sink in your face. The double bed was just two singles pushed together, you do end up slipping down the middle. The hotel is very noisy and although by the time we got to bed at the end of our first day we had been up for 19 hours we had trouble sleeping. The room gets very cold overnight. Breakfast in the morning consisted of a cup of tea, coffee or juice and a croissant and some sort of stale mini toast again expected for the price and was actually very nice. The staff were helpful when it came to asking about busses and expected taxi prices. We only used the hotel as a place to sleep and store our stuff but if you plan on staying in the hotel a bit longer than needed this isn't the place for you. Once we checked out we asked if we could store our stuff there for the day as we didn't need to catch our train till 6PM. We set our bags down and went off for the day, when we returned the bags were still on the floor in reception which I wasn't happy about at all. We will return to Rome but not to this hotel, friends of ours who we were travelling with stayed at the Best Western Villa France around the corner, it wasn't too much more price wise but the quality was much better. When we return to Rome we would more than likely stay there.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jimilowe

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Hotel tre stelle is only a 5 minute walk from then train station and bus terminal. They will get you around the whole of Roma. Our start to this hotel was horrible. We checked in and she gave us a room number. Wen we finally got up to our room, she had given us someone else's room key which were actually staying in the hotel at the time. So be careful, lock your belongings away as you never know. When we got into our room. As a couple and booking a double bed we got two single beds pushed together. The breakfast was a typical Italian breakfast, croissant and coffee. Which wasn't to bad as they made the coffee fresh. Everyday was different type of croissant which were fresh. The bathroom was okay in size however don't expect hot water. We got up at 7am and it had already run out. We even tried having showers at 10pm and still nothing. Between the two of us which was 7 nights we had a total of 3 showers.

I would recommend looking at different alternative in accommodation.

Somerset
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Just returned yesterday from the Tre Stelle. The good points were that it is in a cracking location just 2 mins from a subway and 5 mins from the main train and bus terminal. The staff were friendly (ish).
Other than that, it was extremely poor. We knew that it was a budget hotel but it did have 3 stars (!) The room was tiny with a view of..... a wall. No coffee facilities in the room at all, a toilet and a tiny shower. The bed linen was dirty. We stayed 4 nights and each day we came back our pillow numbers changed and sometimes there was a bedspread on, sometimes just a sheet. Interesting..... The breakfast was no choice. you were served two bread rolls and jam, two sugar cakes and a cup of coffee and that was it. There were only 7 tables so we had to wait 20 minutes each morning just for a table to become free.
I have been all over the world and this was just poor service, and a very poor overall hotel. Spend a little more and get a better hotel, you'll appreciate it.
Just a quick note on Rome. I was here 14 years ago, nothing has changed. It is dirty, huge masses of tourists with no organisation and the city was just vandalised and clearly its citizens do not care. It was a bit like London twenty years ago, but every other city has cleaned its act up.....except Rome. Go elsewhere and visit rome on the internet, you'll appreciate it more!
(Mind you the pasta was nice!)

Room Tip: just dont!
Thrapston
Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

Would not recommend staying here. We could hear people in neighbouring rooms using shower it sounded like it was in our bathroom! Also hot water ran out by 7.30am! Plus not the cleanest of bedroom floors. at least air conditioning worked!

• Stayed May 2013
Harthill, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2013

having stayed here for three nights at the end of april, I would never recommend it to anyone. we arrived late around 9pm so I wasn't expecting the best room but to say we had the worst was an understatement!

we went to our room to unpack, used the stairs as the lift looked like it would trap us, to find that the lock on the door wouldn't work. we couldn't lock the door. so I went down to the reception to which he said I have no more rooms but the night manager will be able to fix it he's here in half an hour. so my friends and I went out after putting my bags in their room to keep them safe. we returned about 3 hours later to what I was told was the fixed door... WRONG! it was jammed shut. I once again went to the reception. the night manager came up stairs to try and fix it, broke it open and then decided to tape the lock open (obv after asking my if I had scotch tape to do it with) after he done this he told me to just leave the door open because if I shut it I would be locked in! after trying to remain calm obv it wasnt entirely his fault I asked him what he expected me to do for the night to which he replied "just put the chair against the door" unfortunately having already paid for the room through Thomas cook I couldn't do much else as I didn't have enough money to move hotels. luckily while I was out the next day they got it fixed.

to say things got better would be a lie... the room wasn't clean the shower couldn't have been smaller with plug sockets hanging off the wall and a view of the bin area. breakfast was coffee, stale toast, croissants and milk sitting out in a carton. the bar had only small cans of beer or small bottles of wine. no soft drinks, spirits or even ice! they clearly have no idea what they are doing and I hope no one will have to experience what my sister and I did. the only good thing was the location which unfortunately will ensure they will always have customers, I just wont be one of them.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Daventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2013

After reading the reviews it was with some trepidation that we checked in last week. We needn't have worried. Although the furniture was dated and the style was old fashioned, the room was clean and had everything we needed. There was plenty of hot water, the air conditioning worked and breakfast was very good. Not sure what was going on with breakfast as there appeared to be two tiers. One morning we were sent to the basement for breakfast which was abismal as all the tables were full in the main breakfast room, but once there was a free table upstairs we took our place and had our pastries and "biscotti" as normal. The location of the hotel was perfect for getting around and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The bed was rather hard though!
It might not have been the most luxurious hotel in Rome, but when you see how expensive everything is in the City, we felt that this hotel was good value for money. Don't be put off by some of the negative comments in other reviews.

Room Tip: We had Room 304 on the side of the building but the traffic could still be heard if you left the win...
4 Thank June S