“Boutique is the word”

Ranked #61 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Sydney
“Boutique is the word”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

We stayed at the boutique hotel twice whilst travelling around Europe. The rooms are very stylish, funky and spread out across two floors. The hotel is very secure from the street and within the actual building so puts you at ease. We walked to Via Del Corso in about 10mins.

The concierge team were very warm, friendly and very helpful. As we were coming back to the hotel after being in the Amalfi Coast, they allowed me to leave some items there so I didn't have to cart them back and forth.

We had to leave very early in the morning before breakfast so they packed some breakfast bags for us which was fantastic.

We had a little bit of noise from the street some nights which I think may have been garbage trucks or roadworks but it didn't last long and they do give you ear plugs if necessary.

I loved the hotel and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Antrim, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

We chose to stay here because of its location and the value for money aspect to it -Although it is a hotel, in reality we checked in on the 5th floor, were staying on the 3rd floor and consequently never saw any staff during our stay.

We were given a warm welcome on arrival and shown to our room, which was a superior double. Whilst not expecting a large room we felt it was slightly on the small side and most annoyingly there was nowhere to set anything! That said, it was very modern, clean and had good aircon which was really needed during our stay due to temperatures of 39 deg! The room also had a mini bar which came in handy. There was no balcony and one window which overlooked the back of the building i.e. no view at all!

Breakfast each morning was next door and was standard fayre - it set us up well each day.

The main advantage this accommodation offers is its convenience as a base to explore Rome as all major attractions (Vatican excepted) are all easily reached on foot. Yards from Via Nazionale and Piazza della Repubblica is a huge bonus and it is also a 5 minute walk from the Termini.

So would we stay again? Yes, no reason not to - we would just make sure we had a bigger room with a balcony!

2 Thank Chucklers
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights in July. The Hotel is inside a shared building that also has le Petite Hotel and I think some professional offices, but the floor that we were on is very secure and entrance to rooms can only be accessed via card swipe. We had booked a deluxe suite and all I can say is wow!. The room was spacious and ultra clean with marble flooring and behind the bed up a few stairs there was a lovely spa with twinkling lights in the ceiling. The large bathroom was hidden behind a large mural in the hallway and there was also a separate steam shower. We had a lovely balcony to sit and have a glass of wine at the end of the day. The bed was very comfortable and although there was air conditioning we didn't need to use it much as we could get a lovely breeze through the balcony door. The restaurant downstairs 'Cotto' is really nice for breakfast, which is included in the price of the room and they will make your coffee to order. We had dinner there one night and sat outside, the food was very good and reasonably priced. I think the location is great, within walking distance to the termini and lots of shops and restaurants. I would have say that this was a very memorable stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donna57Melbourne
L_Macinanti, Direttore vendite at Dharma Hotel & Luxury Suites, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear Donna57Melbourne,

thank you so much for posting a wonderful review about your stay at Dharma Hotel. We are glad to know that you had a great time here and a "memorable" 5 nights visit in Rome.
I am happy that your experience at Dharma ticked all boxes and you loved our Boutique style hotel.
Feel free to come back anytime you're in Rome,

Augusta, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

A very stylish boutique hotel that is very European in character (a fact that clearly escapes some reviewers) and completely understated from the street - in fact it is almost invisible from the kerb. We were three mature couples in our group and spent five nights at the Hotel Dharma.

All three rooms were quite different in their layout and decoration with considered thought being given to utilise the space available in each room. If you want a "vanilla" big brand hotel room then this may not be for you. We all enjoyed our respective rooms and could not fault the amenities contained in each. Street noise was not an issue but it was holiday season for the locals in Rome so the city had much less traffic than normal.

Staff at reception were helpful at all times and had excellent English language skills.

Breakfast is served in the "Cotta" restaurant below the hotel on the street level and caters for all tastes. Each day of our stay eggs (boiled and omelet), bacon, tomatoes etc were available as a hot selection along with several pastry choices, muesli's, cereals, bread, fruit juices etc. Coffee and teas were made to order by the waitperson of the morning. All in a very satisfactory offering.

Over all this is a good hotel if you want a small hotel experience. If you want grand foyers, doormen etc the look else where.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lance C
L_Macinanti, Direttore vendite at Dharma Hotel & Luxury Suites, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear Lance C,

thank you very much for your stunning feedback, we appreciate your effort.
We are glad to know that you had such a great time at Dharma Hotel and you were amused by our concept and hotel style.
Feel free to visit Dharma anytime you're in Rome.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

1. Close to metro
2. Nicely designed room
3. Very friendly staff ~ especially the guy with beard.
4. Nice breakfast offered by cotto

Just one thing to add, the location marked on tripadvisor is wrong. The hotel is one street down the via nationale.

L_Macinanti, Direttore vendite at Dharma Hotel & Luxury Suites, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Dear Keith T,

thank you very much for posting your candid feedback on Tripadvisor we appreciate your effort.
About location on Tripadvisor's map: you are right! I have already forwarded this issue to TA's hotel support. Feel free to come back anytime you're in Rome.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

Well we arrived in Rome and went to the apartment block which the hotel is situated in.

Clicked buzzer and were let in to the rundown stairwell and lift. As I hit the number 5 in the lift I thought that perhaps the doors would open up to reveal a gorgeous hotel lobby and reception. I was sorely mistaken.

I would say the shower was AMAZING. The only thing I would rave and rave about.

Breakfast was...well...AWFUL. Sweet shop bought croissants. Cooked food that looked like it had been keeping warm for hours. Watered down orange juice. Tiny selection. You had an egg omelet pie, bacon, boiled eggs (powdery), 2 cereals, tiny stale shop bought croissants, some tinned fruit, and bread. The coffee was equally as bad. Everyone in there looked SO depressed.

The area the hotel was in wasn't very nice. Located near to the metro station which was useful.

All in all. I would not recommend anyone to stay here.

We loved Rome, but found this hotel depressing to come back to every night and were delighted to leave.

PS. I have put cleanliness as excellent because by the smell of their cleaning products I don't see how any dirt or gems would survive.

2 Thank Jozborn
L_Macinanti, Direttore vendite at Dharma Hotel & Luxury Suites, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear Jozborn,

I am sorry you had such a bad experience at Dharma Hotel, let me have the chance to apologize if our hotel concept did not meet your high expectations.

I feel disappointed that during your 2-nights stay at Dharma Hotel not a single thing of your claimed disaster has been reported to our Front Office.
Nothing about breakfast, nothing about rooms.
If your assigned room, a Superior Double, was not of your likes, we would have been glad to switch, upgrade or - at last - finding another hotel for you. The last thing we look for is unhappy guests.
We had hundreds of good reviews about our Superior Double rooms that feature a movable wall, we understand that somebody might expect just a normal door, but Dharma is a design hotel and it has never been a surprise.
If you like design and fancy outfits, in a young, smart and friendly pace, we are your place.
If you are up for for big halls, ballrooms and 5-stars standards, we are not of that kind and - let me tell you - not even of that price-range.
Dharma and 5 stars hotel do not even compete in the same league.
What we offer is just clean, modern and comfortable accomodation, guest-focused service, excellent location. Everything at a very good price/quality ratio.

Now, let me answer in details:

“We went through a small door into a tight corridor where we spent what felt like forever checking in and were eventually taken down to our room.”

When you say “forever”, it does not seem fair.
Our Check-In time is 14:00 and this is no mistery. We contact our guests everytime about arrival time, in case you would like to check-in earlier. We try to manage Late check-out & Early check-in requests the best as we can.
From our records, it appears you had access to your room at 13:30, 30 mins before allowed Check In time.
I would like to remark that No Early-Check In was ever requested in advance, following our contact message sent after your booking made months earlier.
We are paying a lot of attention to our guests requests, we did our best in order to let you check in as soon as possible.

“We entered the room and were instantly confronted by an EXTREMELY strong smell of alcohol, I couldn't ignore it so queried this with the man showing us round and was told it was the cleaning products. BLIMEY.”

This is just a consequence of your Early Check-In. The smell of cleaning products was due to the fact that the room was *just* been cleaned by our staff. We have double-checked our records: the cleaning ended up at 13:20. You entered the room only 10 mins later.
I think it is the first review ever on TripAdvisor where somebody blames a spotless and effective cleaning.

“The bathroom was behind a movable wall on wheels...yes...a wall on wheels that you had to roll out to get in and use the bathroom. Great in the middle of the night... :|
I would say the shower was AMAZING. The only thing I would rave and rave about.”

Happy to know that you have enjoyed the big walk-in shower, the only thing to rave about.
It’s a design Hotel, I understand some features might be way too hard to understand.
For some reasons, the “wall on wheels” is on every young traveller’s likes.
When we have seniors, we prefer to assign them to more “classic” facilities rooms.
Not your case.
If it was not just your “cup of tea”, a report to our front desk would have been handled in a prompt way. We are here to please - and not shudder - you.

“Breakfast was...well...AWFUL. Sweet shop bought croissants. Cooked food that looked like it had been keeping warm for hours. Watered down orange juice. Tiny selection. You had an egg omelet pie, bacon, boiled eggs (powdery), 2 cereals, tiny stale shop bought croissants, some tinned fruit, and bread. The coffee was equally as bad. Everyone in there looked SO depressed”

Let me apologize about breakfast. We are constantly reviewing and improving our breakfast selections, but it looks like we have to move a step forward and re-think about complimentary breakfast for our guests in a different way.
Feel free to post me in private any suggestion, if you have any. We appreciate it.

In the end, next time feel free to post your dissatisfaction on site, during your stay or at check out: we are open to your suggestions and critics, anytime.

Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

We stayed at Hotel Dharma at the last 2 nights of our trip. We got the Wellness suite, which has a Jacuzzi. All in all I have no complaints, the staffs are friendly and helpful, the room is spacious and clean. For the price we pay though, I would have to say the breakfast was quite disappointing... we think it was actually worse than the breakfast we had at our previous hotel which cost almost 50% less.
All in all, I will recommend Hotel Dharma, but I might try to stay elsewhere just to try a different hotel next time I visit Rome. If I can give it a 4.5, I would, but I rounded it up to a 5 instead of dropped it to a 4.

Dear GigiKryske,

Thank you very much for sharing your stunning experience at Dharma Hotel, we appreciate your effort. We are very happy that you had the chance the enjoy your visit in Rome thanks to the right choice of hotel. Feel free to come back anytime you're in Rome.