“Really nice hotel”
Review of Celio Hotel

Celio Hotel
Ranked #571 of 1,267 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I have just came back from a weekedn in Rome and stayed in this lovely hotel. The guy on the reception was really nice and very helpful. The location is fanstastic and it is literally only a 2 minute walk from the colosseum. The only downside have is the bar in the hotel isn't great. Would definately stay here again if i visited Rome again.

Room Tip: I stayed on the second floor and it was a really nice room.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Andymacbelfast
There are newer reviews for Celio Hotel

Reviewed 28 September 2013

I have just returned from 4 nights in Rome, staying at this lovely gem of a hotel, situated just a "stones throw" from the magnificent Colosseum. I was given part of the penthouse suite, so it was a bit of a climb, but well worth it. Very clean, comfortable with a magnificent bathroom and views over the rooftops of Rome.
Breakfast was simple, delicious, continental , more than enough to keep you going until the amazing cuisine of the city beckoned.
I arrived via Ciampino airport, took a 4 euro bus trip to the central terminus, bought a 48 hour "hop on/off" bus pass for 20 euro, which dropped me off at the Colosseum, walked 5 minutes and there the hotel was, so easy!!.
I attempted to visit most of the Roman highlights, but it was very hot and busy. It is a very easy city to walk around, and once you get your bearings, you can enjoy it at its best, wandering off the beaten track, quietly, and exploring at you own pace.
This hotel is well situated, lots of lovely restaurants/café/bars situated nearby.
As I have only scratched the surface of what this great city has to offer, I would be more than delighted to visit again and stay at the delightful Hotel Celio.

Room Tip: no lift but penthouse great!! Worth the climb.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank jackie b
Reviewed 27 July 2013

What a nice friendly hotel. We travelled to Rome for a long weekend with our two teenage kids. Hotel is in a great location close to the Colloseum. Rooms were very, very clean. The air conditioning took a bit of getting used to but kept us nice and cool. A relaxing break from the 30 degree heat.

Breakfast was a bit quirky - served in a marquee tent in the courtyard - with some nice pastries and a pot of yoghurt. There were some reasonably priced restaurants in the same street. On check out day we were allowed to keep our bags at the hotel until the afternoon.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank porcullisjonty
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We have been visiting Rome over the past 20 years and have always stayed around via Del Corso but have often walked past the Celio and wondered...This time I booked three nights at the beginning and end of our month holiday in Italy at the Celio and we were delighted with the experience. Roberto and his host family were welcoming and helpful in many small ways and added an intimate and family friendly dimension to our stay which is not on offer at some of the bigger hotels in Rome.
Our rooms were charming and very clean, breakfast was generous and location is superb - both close to the Colosseo etc, yet a little removed from the main tourist jostle of the Trevi and di Spagna areas. Close access to taxis, metro, restaurants, snack bars - it all contributed to a relaxed holiday and I would recommend it for a business trip. We will definitely visit Celio again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Helen S
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I was put up to the task of finding the hotel that our group was going to stay at for a weekend in Rome. I was really overwhelmed with the decision because there's TONS of places to choose from, and I was worried about not being able to please everyone. The four of us were happy with the choice I made by choosing this hotel. I ultimately chose this particular hotel because it was within walking distance of all the attractions we wanted to see, and it was the cheapest 3 star hotel in the neighborhood.

The location is PERFECT. You're very close to the Colosseum (you can see it from the hotel) and it's a very short walk to the Roman Forum. It's not too far of a walk to the Pantheon and Spanish Steps, too. We actually walked from the hotel to The Vatican without tiring out; we were a lot closer to The Vatican than we thought. There's a lot of restaurants and gelato places close by. Every place we ate at near the hotel was really good and the staff at all the restaurant was patient with our inability to speak much Italian. One of our friends decided to venture out on his own later in the night in an attempt to visit every gelato place in the neighborhood, and he felt safe walking around on his own and his stomach got too full before he could visit every gelato place. There's an ATM very close by in a safe, open area just a block away, a convenience store where we stocked up on water and snacks on the same street as the hotel, and a pharmacy ("farmacia") where we were able to get cold medicine.

The hotel itself was pretty beautiful. The man at the front desk was working the entire weekend we were there; he was very nice, helpful with directions and spoke English very well. The continental breakfast was really nice: coffee, tea, juice, fruit, yogurt, breads, jams, nutella, etc. We found our rooms to be good sized, clean, and nicely decorated. We slept well and we didn't find it to be loud at all. The pictures you see online are accurate. The only reason I'm not giving this hotel an "excellent" is because of the small bathroom; I think some people out there might be frustrated with the size of the shower. I kind of feel like a jerk giving 4 out of 5, though, because every thing else about the hotel is wonderful. A co-worker told me she's visiting Rome for her honeymoon this fall, and I was quick to recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Whenever I book hotels, I always book direct from the hotel's website. With this particular hote...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Beth C
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I recently visited Rome with my wife and her parents. We found the Hotel Celio in one of our guide books, and were greatly pleased with the hotel. The location is great, a few blocks from the Coloseum (you can see it as you look down the street).

The owner/manager, Roberto, was a phenominal host, and provided great support and information on where to go and what to see in Rome. He even booked a tour guide for our trip to Vatican City on our behalf weeks in advance of our arrival. Roberto even personally brought up tea to me one evening when I wasn't feeling well.

As I said, the hotel was very close to the Coloseum, and also a taxi stand from which we could get almost anywhere else in the city. However, it is far enough back from the bustle that I didn't hear any significant noise at night and had no trouble sleeping.

The accomodations were consistently clean. The jacuzi tubs were very relaxing. The beds were comfortable. Like most European hotels, the rooms were small compared to American rooms, but comfortable.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Roberto speaks perfect English. The rest of staff speaks varying levels of English, but will know enough to get you checked in, and will work through to understand what it is you're looking for. This isn't to criticize the staff. Their English is 1000 times better than my Italian and I appreciate how hard every member of their staff worked to make us feel welcome.

We stayed in room 207 as well as the penthouse suite during our stay, and both rooms were great. The penthouse suite is amazing. It has a roof terrace with views of the Coloseum and pleasant flowering plants as well as a table and chairs for a private lunch. However, we didn't spend much time in the suite as we were usually quite busy seeing the city.

I strongly recommend this hotel and if I ever return to Rome I intend to return to Hotel Celio.

The hotel had a simple free breakfast in the morning that was great for travelers looking to grab something quick before heading out to see the sights.

As a bumbling American, there were some minor things I screwed up. I accidentally turned off the water heater in the penthouse suite thinking it was a light switch.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mattlb
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I stayed in this hotel during weekend.The hotel is perfectly located - only 5 min walk from Coloseum and Coloseum metro station, which provides transport to most places in Rome. I was in small room calls Bernini. It was really small room and good only for sleeping. From the other hand if somebody goes to Rome the target is Rome - not the hotel.

The only problem was that AC was centrally controled so I had to ask the guy at the reception to turn it on or off even during the night because it was too cold.

I paid 301 eur for SGL for 2 nights and I asked for a DBL and I got the price of 220 EUR/ night which in my oppinion is incredibly expensive.

I figured out that in the area there are also other hotels offering cheaper accomodation but if somebody has no problem with paying 220E/night he will be satisfied.

• Stayed: May 2013