“October 2013”
Review of Hotel Madrid

Hotel Madrid
Ranked #107 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Good value hotel. Im rating it average because there were a few set backs:
a) I requested transportation to and from the airport, and the driver didnt show up to pick me up. This wasnt a major concern, as I got an equally good driver for the same price I was going to pay and the guy was really nice. I did however solve this with the manager and was taken by their driver to the airport.
b) I got in early and my room wasnt available yet so I had to wait a LOT. Then again, it didnt really have to be ready until check-in, so I could see how it wasnt their fault. They were nice about it and brought me tea to wait. Also, I didnt want to leave my luggage (I find that unsafe, but maybe someone else would have and then left to find somewhere to eat)

So besides that, when I finally got to my room it was wonderful!! Nice space, very clean. Nice bathroom, also clean. They had me at hello. Very nice staff. I slept and then went downstairs to wonder off.. the guy at the reception gave me a map and pointed out everything from ATM to nice places to eat. WONDERFUL!!

Then at night was given directions to where to eat and got a lovely surprise of an outdoors concert of classical music at the Spanish Steps. I could die happy. Very close to everything and easy to find. Not much noise from the street (I slept with my window open and my room was looking towards the street).

Recommended!! Would try it again.

Room Tip: Talk to the receptionist, they will give you the best information of town.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
FulvioG, Direttore at Hotel Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review, I'm sorry You've been waiting to have the room but you arrived very early and the hotel was fully booked but your check in was still done by 12:30am and not later.
As I said already in the hotel your driver was waiting you regularly at the airport but unfortunately you did not see him and took another car.
I'm very happy you liked your room and that you appreciated the friendliness of our staff.
I hope to have you soon again as our guest
For better prices and offers follow us on facebook and in our official web page

Reviewed 19 October 2013

We found Hotel Madrid to be a very good value for the price and in an excellent location near many sights. Clean ample room with armoire and desk, spacious modern bathroom by European standards, and average bed. We had a room on the 4th floor overlooking the street and left the windows open at night - which was comfortable, but very loud from the street noise below. The next 2 nights we kept the windows closed and turned on the A/C- very comfortable and solved the noise issue.The breakfast was very good, one of the few places we stayed that offered scrambled eggs and bacon along with most European breakfast fare; and the roof garden breakfast room was very comfortable and quaint, and had a great view of St. Peter's dome in the distance. We were able to connect to the WiFi every time we returned to the room. Antonio and staff were all very professional, friendly and helpful with directions and recommendations. We would definitely stay here again when returning to Rome!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
FulvioG, Direttore at Hotel Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Dear Guest,

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your wonderfull review regarding your recent stay at Hotel Madrid Roma.

I am delighted to hear that you were pleased with the Hotel service and that we were able to meet your needs.

I especially appreciate your very kind comment on our valuable team member, Mr.Antonio.

It is give me a great pleasure to be able to pass along your positive comments and the importance of your satisfaction.

On behalf of everyone at Hotel Madrid, thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

For better prices and special offers follow us on facebook and on our official web page!

With regards,

Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed here for three nights as part of a touring holiday. The rooms are certainly adequate - ours was a tad gloomy but very comfortable - and our bathroom was very nice with a good shower - although the shower cubicle was a bit small. The Hotel is in a narrow street with a few restaurants and bars nearby. The hotel has a very small and fairly limited bar. There is a lift. Breakfast is taken on the roof terrace with lovely views of the surrounding areas and the roof gardens of nearby buildings. Reception staff are very pleasant and will book restaurants and taxis when required. Wifi worked easily and the aircon was good. All in all, a good choice

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
FulvioG, Direttore at Hotel Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing about your experience, it was a pleasure to have you with us and I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay.

I am delighted you particularly enjoyed our location. I couldn’t agree with you more, it is a wonderful area and arguably one of the very best places to stay in Rome just a few steps from the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps.

Around our hotel there are a lot of good restaurants and bars , suitable for every kind of taste, our receptionists know the best place to eat for an unforgettable experience to discover the Italian and Roman tradition.
For more informations about events and special prices follow us always on our official web page.

I hope you will return to us very soon and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Madrid Roma.

Best regards

Reviewed 13 October 2013

This was a wonderful small hotel for our four night visit to Rome. The room was clean, well furnished and equipped and the bedding comfortable. A separate foyer with desk was a nice arrangement and both the air conditioning and wi-fi worked well. The breakfast buffet, served in a lovely rooftop garden room with a view of St. Peter's dome, was wonderful -- comprehensive and delicious. I especially enjoyed the bruschetta with my eggs and bacon. Most importantly the staff, especially Antonio the day manager, were outstanding -- friendly, professional and helpful with directions, restaurant and tour reservations. The location, between the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain, was also great for sightseeing. There can be a bit of street noise, but Rome is a city after all and it wasn't disturbing. I would be very happy to return here on our next visit to Rome.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
FulvioG, Direttore at Hotel Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Dear Ned,
Thank you for the lovely words about our Hotel shared on Tripadvisor community and for having explained so clearly your experience with us and also for advise of other potential guests.
It’s nice to know you appreciated our hotel and our service during your days here in Rome, including the rooms and the buffet breakfast served in our panoramic Roof garden.
We always make the best to satisfy all the request and to make each stay unforgettable.
Hoping to see you soon for another pleasant holiday in the historical centre of Rome.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

The location is right in the middle of everything. Breakfast on the roof is wonderful, good food, lovely breeze, kind staff.

The only reason I gave only two stars is because of the horrible mattress. We stayed twice, once in family room 102, where the mattress wasn't great and I woke up with an achy back each day, but it didn't really bother me. But when we returned at the end of our trip we stayed in 402 and the mattress on the larger bed was so worn out I didn't even want to sit on it. I slept on the day bed where I meant for the kids to sleep.

The staff was lovely and said they'd move me if they could (it was all booked up).

I wouldn't stay there again, nor would I recommend it, simply because providing a comfortable place to sleep is the main function of a hotel! All the amenities in the world can't make up for a bad night's sleep.

Room Tip: Avoid 402!! The mattress needs to be replaced.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MusicalChair
FulvioG, Direttore at Hotel Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that besides the central location has also appreciated the courtesy of our staff and our buffet breakfast served in the panoramic Roof-garden.
I'm sorry you had a problem with the mattress of his room, we just changed all mattresses two years ago and it seems very strange that he had this problem.
Our staff as he has written is always available to solve any problem and will certainly have done our utmost to solve also this inconvenience.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Hotel Madrid is in a great location near the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Borghese Gardens, Via Condotti and Via del Corso. And pretty much every other major attraction is less than a mile's walk away.

The reception staff were really friendly and helpful. The rooms were typical of other Roman hotels we've stayed in of this calibre and while a bit dated were absolutely fine for a few nights' stay. Our rooms had very modern bathrooms and excellent airconditioning which were both unexpected but welcomed! The internet was impossible to connect to on our floor (2) so we had to head to reception anytime we wanted to go online.... The buffet breakfast options (included in our tariff) were plentiful and good quality. We'll definitely stay here again next time we head back to Rome.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 4flyingkiwi
FulvioG, Direttore at Hotel Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank You very much for choosing Hotel Madrid to spend Your holidays in Rome.
I am really happy to know that you liked everything in our hotel.
Thank you for the wonderful words spent for our staff , rooms and our buffet breakfast.
For always free wifi and special offers go to our official web page.
I hope to see You soon.
My Best Regards

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Rooms were nice and decent size. Rooms were quiet even on the street side. Breakfast was very good in a nice room with views, although a bit small if large groups or families showed up at once. It seats only 20-24. Located close to the Spanish steps. Restaurants in the immediate vicinity are a bit more expensive than can be found closer to the area from the Pantheon to Campo d'Fiori, a short walk away. Air conditioning was barely up to adequate Italian levels; it would randomly need to be reset several times each night.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
FulvioG, Direttore at Hotel Madrid, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Dear Mr Kenneth,
thank you for choosing Hotel Madrid for your stay in Rome.
We appreciate that you spend some of your time to write this review on Tripadvisor, sharing with us and all the other customers your experience.
We are also glad to notify that you like the central location near the Spanish Steps.
It is very important to us to satisfy every single customer and we are happy that you appreciated our rooms and our buffet breakfast.
For better prices follow us always on facebook.
looking forward to hearing from you for a next reservation,
kindest regards