“good reviews bad experience”
Review of Hotel Contilia

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Hotel Contilia
Ranked #643 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
london uk
“good reviews bad experience”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

The hotel had arange of views on trip advisor. I stayed for three nights. The room given was a twin. The beds were so small i had problems trying to stay on the bed. The room was small. The shower was so small i ahd to leave the doors open to have a shower. The a/c unit was so high up and blew cold air in one direction, upwards. The breakfast was given good reviews. They must have stayed in a different hotel. There was a choice of one ham, one cheese, croissants and the normal cornflakes. I have been to two other three star hotels in Rome and they offered a bigger and more variety than this so called three star hotel. There was no fridge in the room. Any complaints were met with, "we will look into it, but it never happened. Pay the extra and go else where.

Room Tip: Make sure the shower is large if you are a big person. If getting a twin room, check the beds before...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank amrik1627

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Perth
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We had booked this hotel for the nights of 2 Oct and then 5 and 6th Oct 13(2 Couples, 2 Bookings ) as we were going to Capri in between these dates. We arrived at the hotel on 2nd October 13, great location right near Central Station, on arrival we were greated pleasantly and checked in. Our rooms were small and not well appointed compared to what we are use to in Australia but so what we were in Italy. We unpacked our suitcases and decided to go sightseeing, on the way out the Office Manager called us to advise that our booking for the 5 & 6th had been double booked at that they didn't have enough rooms, we were offered a single quad room which meant that you had to walk through the second bedroom to go to the toilet or shower. We explained that we were not happy with this arrangement but told take it or leave it. We quickly went on the net to check for alternative accomodation only to find everything booked due to short notice. Reluctantly we accepted and was told we would get a special rate. The following morning we had breakfast around 9.00am only to find most of the food had been eaten and not restocked. Of we went to Capri, arrived back on 5th Oct and checked in, had a good time in Rome until we went to check out. At check out I was told I had to pay for 2 full rooms not the shared quad room, after arguing with the Night Manager I was told to come back later. When I returned the Day Manager said she would sort it out, when I asked the price she gave me a special price dearer than what I originaly could get on bookings.com, when I questioned this her responce was "no you cant we are fully booked, that is the price" and wouldn't discuss the issue. I pointed out that the issue had been the hotels problem as they had doubled booked the room not us and was told to pay up. I we will not be staying at this hotel again and I suggest if you are booking this hotel ring them before you arrive as the reservation bookings we had from Bookings.com meant nothing.

3 Thank Ric F

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Stayed here for a week and found it fine.
Super location for arriving at Termini
Breakfast is generous, if not luxurious.
Reception staff charming and helpful
Great to have a room with a bath tub as well as a shower!
Free Wifi, easy to connect to
No complaints
Will stay there again

6 Thank DoctorBarbara
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Very good location = it was easy to find right around the corner from Termini trainstation - Which can be accessed directly from the airport. the main positives are the location and that the breakfast was decent. The view we got was right over the street. The room was tiny - smaller than you can imagine. There was a bed and a table. Speaking of the bed, for the average jetlagged travelor, it was quiete uncomfortable for the both of us. Reception was nice and helpful. Lastly, the shower in our room was very hard to work. If none of these annoyances bother you then this hotel is right for you.

Solihull
Reviewed 15 September 2013

When I booked this hotel with Thomas Cook I was given 3 hotels to choose from, this hotel didn't seem great but was better than the other 2.

Our first impression was not good, after checking in we were led outside the hotel onto the street and then led up an alley and shown to a adjoining building. The lift we were shown was tiny, me ansd my girlfriend could just about fit in with our cases, the maid closed the lift door and it was pitch black, the lift was also rickety, scary lol.

On entering our room we were pleasantly surprised, it was very clean, spacious and air conditioned. We had a print of the Mona Lisa above our bed, which I thought was a nice touch. After reading some reviews about small towels we decided to pack our own, but I don't think there was any need, the towels were thin but large enough. The room was like a disco at night, the tv had a bright blue standby light that could not be turned off, the air conditioning unit had 2 green lights and the electric fuse had a red light, they didn't disturb my sleep as I thought they would though.

The breakfast was basic but pleasant, pastries, peaches, bread, jam, ham and cheese, there was a hot drinks machine and cold drinks machine. I would've liked more meat choices.

The location was great, literally round the corner from Termini Station which has great links to get around the city, just make sure you turn left out of the hotel and not right.

Also you must purchase a Roma Pass for 34 euros per person, this is a pass for 3 days that gets you on All transport, you can get the tourist buses for the same price but with a Roma pass you get bus, metro, tram, local trains and free entry to the first 2 museums you visit also bypassing the enormous queues(especially the Colosseum which is also the most expensive) and discounts at all other sites worth visiting.

The hotel wasn't perfect, but it was pleasant enough for me to happily stay again and by the sound of some my fellow transfer passengers better than other hotels nearby.

When I go on holidays I don't plan on spending much time in the hotels, if you do then this hotel maybe not for you but if you just want somewhere pleasant to sleep, then this is a good hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dazman007
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The hotel is so close to the termini that you just walk. The neighborhood does not look classy but we found it safe, convenient and pleasant. Free WIFI was fine. Speed was okay. Free Breakfast was fine. I have no complaints only compliments about our stay.
The lobby is lovely and the staff are fluent in English and extremely helpful. Our first room was on the backside looking out to some not-too-charming apartments. We requested to be moved to the street side and our new room was light, bright, still quiet and a joy to be in.
We found all kinds of good restaurants at all prices closeby.

Room Tip: Get a room on the street side. They have more natural light and the WIFI is better.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Trackstars
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The hotel is about 600 metres from the Termini and looks pleasant being the only one along the street to have crimson canopies at its entrance. The male receptionist at check-in was friendly enough although we had to pay extra EUR2 per room for our multiple devices to use the WiFi.The room was typically dressed in Roman crimson and gold stripes bedcovers and with ensuite bathroom. The sole ancient lift can only take maximum four passengers at a time but it was not a problem. It could be a problem if it had failed and if you had to walk up 4 or 5 levels with your luggage. Its location is quite convenient being so near to Termini and the bus station. The lady receptionist was helpful with suggestions and tips for sightseeing.

Room Tip: There's only one lift (old one that takes max. 4 passengers at a time), so maybe a good idea is...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family