“Cheaters!”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Rome, Italy
“Cheaters!”
Reviewed 29 October 2012

DON'T GO THERE! NON ANDARE MAI! FURBI! I went to this otherwise lovely looking place with an Italian friend. I'm living in Rome and speak Italian, but generally we also speak English among us, and since we are both blond, it is generally immediately assumed that we are tourists. We asked this night - in Italian - whether they made apperitivo. Afterwards we asked to see the menu as well, and then the owner explained us that the apperitivo would consist of a glass of wine and some small different dishes for 10 euro. We agreed to this, and then he finished saying "Vi porto gli antipasti? (I bring you the antipasti). We said yes, assuming that he was refering to the aperitivo that we asked for, since this would also consist of different little dishes. We were then served 3 pieces of toasted bread, 3 pieces of ham, half a mozzarella, two slices of eggplant and a few pieces onion each. Several times the owner came back to us, asking what we wanted afterwards - clearly he wanted to push us into ordering more. In the end, we received a bill of 34 euro instead of 20! When we asked about this, the owner's reply was "but I asked you if I should bring you the antipasti". Well, we never asked for the antipasti!! This was deliberate cheating of some "stupid blond tourist" that wouldn't come back anyway... well, we both live here and certainly will never come back nor recommend this place to anyone! The food might be good, but I don't want to give my money to any dishonest person like that and wouldn't encourage anyone to do it.

• Visited October 2012