3,199 results
All reviewsorange treesbreakfast and happy hourtrastevere neighborhoodchurch bellscharming hotelbusy citygreat neighborhoodwithin walking distancethe hotel staffeach eveningrestaurants and barsperfect locationbreakfast was deliciousaround the cornertrip to romesmall hotelloved this hotel
Reviewed 29 February 2012

My wife and I had stayed here several years ago in a Junior Suite and I was quite disappointed.
The room was dark and the bathroom (by American standards) tiny. When were not able to book a different hotel this trip and had to stay at the Santa Maria again I was dubious.
I was pleasantly surprised this stay. We had room number 15 and it was wonderful. The size was perfect and the bathroom was large and modern.
Whereas last stay I thought the room was overpriced this time it felt like a good value. We paid 160 Euros a night. The breakfast is diverse and satisfying.
The trees laden with oranges and lemons adds to the romantic ambiance.
I'd love to stay here when the weather would permit enjoyment of the outside spaces.

Room Tip: I'd book room number 15 again.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Erte
Reviewed 23 February 2012

we had a fabulous stay in Hotel Santa Maria in January for a 5 day escape without our kids. couldn't fault the service. Nothing was too much trouble. Great location and an easy walk across the bridge into Rome's centre. We used the bikes on 2 days and cycled to Villa Borghese and around the cobbled streets. Next time in Rome we would not hesitate to stay at Hotel Santa Maria. Also recommend the hassle free, prompt airport pickup and drop off.

1  Thank amanda e
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I don't know who is writing these positive reviews. The staff?

The place is terrible:

-Loud (I can hear the neighbors all night long)
-Filthy (I wouldn't let a dog sleep on the bedspread / linens -- nasty!)
-Cold (Yes, it got cold here in February and the heat is inadequate)
-Height (If you are over 5'5, you won't be able to stand up in the shower, or the 2nd floor where the bed is)
-Rude (Staff is inhospitable, at best; rude, on average)

This place is a dump and not worth the money they are charging. Do your family a favor and stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Don't book here... period.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Chris C
HotelSantaMariaRome, Owner at Hotel Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

Dear Mr. Chris C (Rome, Italy ??)
Your reservation was probably provided for the assignment of one of our “Mansard rooms”, that are advertised on our website, detailed described in their particular characteristics, such as the sloping roof, and illustrated with faithful photos .. However, always trying to come meet our guests preferences, we often give the opportunity, even after arrival, to change room.
I think I remember your problem with the heating: you settled the unit mistakenly on cold air and I being personally intervened to reset the system the day after.
Maybe because you felt dissatisfied with the room allocation, you wrote that the bedspread and sheets were “filthy”.
I am sorry but this is really impossible! The sheets are changed every 2 days and bedspreads are Dry Cleaning constantly.
We have four persons taking care of our rooms and common spaces every day, with their professionalism and experience since 10 years and, has always been a source of pride for our hotel.
When you write that someone of the staff of the Reception was “ rude and inhospitable”, for me it is hard to believe that Antonio or Arianna or Orchidea or Chiara may have been rude with one of our guests…I've known them for many years and I can assure their experience and professionalism.
In any case I really apologize if their behavior, for sure occasionally, was not friendly.
An event so rare to be considered an exception !
I remind you that the many enthusiastic comments in favor of the qualities of the Hotel and the Staff , are sincere and this is visible not only on Tripadvisor but also in many other “Web Sites” and “Travel Guides”, even on our "Guest’s Book" which is at disposition for our Guests every day at the Reception: they are full of positive comments , like “Bellissimo “, “Absolute marvelous “ , “ I am sad to leave…”, “Best staff and best breakfast since we are in Italy ”…
They also call us “ Oasis of peaceful” in many of our reviews.!
I can not believe your words when you say "This place is a dump…"
Your mood had been altered by the malfunction of the heater, due to your incorrect programming of the system heat / cool, or maybe by your dissatisfaction with the room allocation.It would have been enough to ask to change room ... we would have been willing to do so
Apart from the many enthusiastic comments we receive constantly I remind you that since 2003 the Hotel Santa Maria was always among the first in the ranking of Tripadvisor... there must be a reason?
Sinceraly
Paolo Vetere – Hotel Santa Maria

Reviewed 3 February 2012

It is unbelievable to find such a quiet and peaceful place in the center of a vivid neighborhood such as Trasteverde, in the middle of all of Rome's excesses! One of our best hotel experiences ever! The room was clean, everything was in proper working order! The morning breakfast was fresh, and the staff was attentive to our needs. The surroundings are enchanting...we wish we were there in the summer to have breakfast in the courtyard. Trasteverde is very lively on saturday nights (the day we arrived) - we felt very safe walking around the neighborhood, and the ambiance was unique! We managed to get around pretty quickly and easily - if you like walking, the hotel is a maximum of 20-30 minutes walk from all major sites, but also a 5 minute walk from the tram which can take you to the train, buses or metro. There is also an ample choice of good restaurants nearby, which is extremely convenient if, like us, you walked all day, are tired, and don't feel like going very far for dinner. The only issue we had was with the wi-fi connection...it worked very well when we were able to connect, but we had many problems getting connected during our stay, even though we were able to clearly see the network on our devices...this should be looked at. The PC in the common area is a nice backup, but it is very slow, and isn't equipped for "skyping" with our loved-ones. All-in-all, a very positive experience...obviously at low-season rates...but I would not hesitate to pay the higher rates for this hotel during the hsummer! It's worth it! We lived Rome to the fullest, and slept soundly at night! Perfect!

1  Thank egarceau
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Myself & my boyfriend stayed here for the weeknd in January. We had such a great stay and I can't recommed the hotel enough. There is a lovely courtyard outside all the bedrooms with amazing orange trees and tables/chairs you can sit out on. Even though it was January and too cold to sit out the place still looked so inviting. The hotel has a large gate which you have to buzz in and out off so security is very tight and it's like having your own private courtyard in the middle of Rome!

The area is in Trastverse (I hope that's how you spell it) and the area is lovely. There are lovely tiny cobbled streets you find yourself wondering around with quirky shops, restaurants and pubs. Do your homework and local restaurants are much cheaper than the middle of Rome. One resturant within walking distance of the hotel charged €3 for a pizza and was always busy with locals.

The breakfast every morning was lovely and the staff are very friendly, especially the owner. Great americos at breakfast time too.

Be prepared to walk a lot though as Rome's metro doesn't link up very well to everywhere. There is a local tram though near the main street which is only a euro.

I'm sure the area will be hoping in the summer time, but for those who don't like going to the typcial tourist areas there is a local feel to the place and it was just lovely. Would love to come back in the summer and get married in the courtyard if we win the lottery!

Advice about the airport home:
Give yourself plenty time to get to the airport. The Number 8 tram takes you to Termini where you get the train to the airport. This doesn't take long only 30 mins on the train and only 8 euro but when you get to the airport be prepared to q for ages to get through passport control as only one security person was on. Then you have to walk a while to get to more security followed by an internal trian to Gate G.

BOOK, BOOK BOOK this lovely hotel and you will not be disappointed!

1  Thank Lyndsey C