3,203 results
All reviewsorange treesbreakfast and happy hourtrastevere neighborhoodchurch bellscharming hotelbusy citygreat neighborhoodwithin walking distancethe hotel staffeach eveningrestaurants and barsperfect locationbreakfast was deliciousaround the cornertrip to romesmall hotelloved this hotel
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Rick Steves of PBS fame recommended this b&b and we really enjoyed it. In fact we are staying there again on our last day in Italy before we fly home. We were lucky that they were able to accommodate us for 1 weekend night. The rooms are spacious and the beds are very comfortable. Plenty of heat and hot water. The garden outside the rooms has lovely orange trees. Their "happy hour" is very nice with lots of delicious little noshes like foccacia with potatoes and olive oil and olives and sun dried tomatoes and meats and cheeses. We were told that the limoncello was made by one of the worker's moms. And it was quite yummy. The rooms are very secure and feel safe. It's in the very young hip neighborhood of Trastevere which is always bustling especially at night. But Santa Maria had no noise issues at all. Lots of shops and restaurants in the neighborhood and an easy 10 minute walk to The Pantheon and other historic sights. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chefamy
Reviewed 2 March 2012

We loved this hotel. It is in a nice quiet location, just across the river, a great place to explore from. We booked the largest family room and we loved it. The size was perfect. Breakfast was very good. Also, parking onsite was ideal. Now the downsides, although they are few and not so bad that we wouldn't stay again, but why I didn't give this place 5 stars. First the beds are awful, way too hard and almost like cardboard. The first night was miserable, but we got used to it after that. The serving staff in the breakfast area were inattentive. The bikes, although a great idea, are only good for teenagers and adults. It would be nice if the hotel had at least 2 kid bikes. There is a bike trail at the river's edge and we were looking forward to biking there as a family, but we couldn't due to the lack of kid bikes.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Familyof4_aaaaa
Reviewed 29 February 2012

My wife and I had stayed here several years ago in a Junior Suite and I was quite disappointed.
The room was dark and the bathroom (by American standards) tiny. When were not able to book a different hotel this trip and had to stay at the Santa Maria again I was dubious.
I was pleasantly surprised this stay. We had room number 15 and it was wonderful. The size was perfect and the bathroom was large and modern.
Whereas last stay I thought the room was overpriced this time it felt like a good value. We paid 160 Euros a night. The breakfast is diverse and satisfying.
The trees laden with oranges and lemons adds to the romantic ambiance.
I'd love to stay here when the weather would permit enjoyment of the outside spaces.

Room Tip: I'd book room number 15 again.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Erte
Reviewed 23 February 2012

we had a fabulous stay in Hotel Santa Maria in January for a 5 day escape without our kids. couldn't fault the service. Nothing was too much trouble. Great location and an easy walk across the bridge into Rome's centre. We used the bikes on 2 days and cycled to Villa Borghese and around the cobbled streets. Next time in Rome we would not hesitate to stay at Hotel Santa Maria. Also recommend the hassle free, prompt airport pickup and drop off.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amanda e
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I don't know who is writing these positive reviews. The staff?

The place is terrible:

-Loud (I can hear the neighbors all night long)
-Filthy (I wouldn't let a dog sleep on the bedspread / linens -- nasty!)
-Cold (Yes, it got cold here in February and the heat is inadequate)
-Height (If you are over 5'5, you won't be able to stand up in the shower, or the 2nd floor where the bed is)
-Rude (Staff is inhospitable, at best; rude, on average)

This place is a dump and not worth the money they are charging. Do your family a favor and stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Don't book here... period.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Chris C
HotelSantaMariaRome, Owner at Hotel Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

Dear Mr. Chris C (Rome, Italy ??)
Your reservation was probably provided for the assignment of one of our “Mansard rooms”, that are advertised on our website, detailed described in their particular characteristics, such as the sloping roof, and illustrated with faithful photos .. However, always trying to come meet our guests preferences, we often give the opportunity, even after arrival, to change room.
I think I remember your problem with the heating: you settled the unit mistakenly on cold air and I being personally intervened to reset the system the day after.
Maybe because you felt dissatisfied with the room allocation, you wrote that the bedspread and sheets were “filthy”.
I am sorry but this is really impossible! The sheets are changed every 2 days and bedspreads are Dry Cleaning constantly.
We have four persons taking care of our rooms and common spaces every day, with their professionalism and experience since 10 years and, has always been a source of pride for our hotel.
When you write that someone of the staff of the Reception was “ rude and inhospitable”, for me it is hard to believe that Antonio or Arianna or Orchidea or Chiara may have been rude with one of our guests…I've known them for many years and I can assure their experience and professionalism.
In any case I really apologize if their behavior, for sure occasionally, was not friendly.
An event so rare to be considered an exception !
I remind you that the many enthusiastic comments in favor of the qualities of the Hotel and the Staff , are sincere and this is visible not only on Tripadvisor but also in many other “Web Sites” and “Travel Guides”, even on our "Guest’s Book" which is at disposition for our Guests every day at the Reception: they are full of positive comments , like “Bellissimo “, “Absolute marvelous “ , “ I am sad to leave…”, “Best staff and best breakfast since we are in Italy ”…
They also call us “ Oasis of peaceful” in many of our reviews.!
I can not believe your words when you say "This place is a dump…"
Your mood had been altered by the malfunction of the heater, due to your incorrect programming of the system heat / cool, or maybe by your dissatisfaction with the room allocation.It would have been enough to ask to change room ... we would have been willing to do so
Apart from the many enthusiastic comments we receive constantly I remind you that since 2003 the Hotel Santa Maria was always among the first in the ranking of Tripadvisor... there must be a reason?
Sinceraly