3,204 results
All reviewsorange treesbreakfast and happy hourtrastevere neighborhoodchurch bellscharming hotelbusy citygreat neighborhoodwithin walking distancethe hotel staffeach eveningrestaurants and barsperfect locationbreakfast was deliciousaround the cornertrip to romesmall hotelloved this hotel
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Since this was my first time in Rome (for a one night business trip), I was a little worried about finding the right hotel. Our criteria were comfortable, clean, wifi and reasonable pricing. I found the Santa Maria based on a search here and a recommendation that showed up from a Facebook friend. Since we were visiting Rome for a one day business meeting, the most important thing was a restful sleep the night before.

We ordered the pickup thru the hotel and a pleasant driver with a nice Mercedes station wagon was waiting for us as we came out of customs. For some reason he took us for the "scenic route" which gave us a interesting view of some of the different neighborhoods. Usually I would worry about it, but since we were being charged a flat rate of 55 euro, that was OK.

We arrived at the hotel in the late evening and the streets (if you can call narrow alleys - streets) were blocked with young people, our driver was able to convince them to let us thru with a gentle nudge from the car.

At the Hotel, we immediately shown our rooms (4 +5). They seemed to be the exact same rooms. This was the first time that I was in a hotel that reality was nicer than there website pictures. The rooms are medium size, very clean and so was the bathroom which had a nice bath as opposed to a shower like some other hotels.

We had ordered only 1 single room, which was $20 cheaper, and 1 double since that was all there was available on the web site but in reality I guess we got both double rooms.
We were disappointed that the Wifi was working (in geektalk the DHCP service on the router was not working) and when we complained to the reception, we were told " this is the password, everyone uses it and it is fine". Only in the morning was this fixed after other guests complained.

The rooms have thick walls and are soundproofed, but I slept with the window open to the courtyard, so there was some interference of other guests walking to the rooms (maybe the hotel should have a notice up, please do not talk loudly in the courtyard after 11pm..) and then was a church bell ringing once an hour. All in all though the bed was comfortable and the night restful.

The location for us was great. We started our business meeting in the "breakfast room" and then continued it right across the river at one of the many restaurants in the old Jewish Ghetto. In the evening again we were picked up by another similar driver (who was right on time) and returned promptly to the airport, this time taking the main route.

All in all although the wifi at the beginning was a disappointment, I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone on a business trip, who also wants to be in walking distance of most of Rome's attractions (which I found disappointing during the few hours that we had to tour after the meeting, but that is a different story...)

Room Tip: I think there are one or 2 rooms not facing the courtyard, those maybe quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank biztravel997
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Wonderful hotel, great location, excellent breakfast. We have already recommended it to friends. This was our sixth visit to Rome and enjoyed being in a different part of town. Recommend arranging for pick-up at airport, as hotel isn't convenient to public transportation and would be difficult to find. All major sights are within walking distance, and lots of worthwhile local sights close by, such as Farensina, which few tourist get to see. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dellndan
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel because it was a last minute trip to Rome in January and the staff was so rude and uninterested. They spoke on there cell phones whilst checking me in and the yelling between the staff was horrendous. This seemed more like a cirrus then a hotel. When I asked one staff member her named she refused to give it to me. You are better sleeping in the street then in the hotel. HORRIBLE ON ALL COUNTS

Room Tip: Chose another hotel
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank Hellen C
HotelSantaMariaRome, Owner at Hotel Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

Dear Mrs/Mr Helien C. ( Hong Kong)
You wrote a dire comment about the staff of my Hotel. It is very hard for me to believe that could happened that somebody of the staff did yell during his working ship…but I have to trust
your words.
I am really regretful you found someone “ rude” and “uninterested “ and I assure you that it will be my main concern to take action on this issue.
Since we opened our priority has always been to provide the highest quality , service and to be on hand to all our guests.
I remind you that the many enthusiastic comments in favor of our staff, are sincere and result of our work, made with full commitment and dedication.
Our "Guest’s Book" is at disposition for our clients every day at the Reception: is always full of enthusiastic comments in favor of the Hotel, like “ An oasis in the heart of Rome”, “ We are sorry to live..” , “ Best staff and best breakfast…..
I can only think that you assisted, unfortunately, to a discussion between colleagues with altered tones.
I hope you will give me the possibility to show you that what you wrote does not represent the characteristics and the quality of the Hotel Santa Maria with its staff.
Sincerely
Paolo Vetere – Hotel Santa Maria

Reviewed 10 March 2012

A lovely old hotel in a great location. Very good value (out of season). Very friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Rick Steves of PBS fame recommended this b&b and we really enjoyed it. In fact we are staying there again on our last day in Italy before we fly home. We were lucky that they were able to accommodate us for 1 weekend night. The rooms are spacious and the beds are very comfortable. Plenty of heat and hot water. The garden outside the rooms has lovely orange trees. Their "happy hour" is very nice with lots of delicious little noshes like foccacia with potatoes and olive oil and olives and sun dried tomatoes and meats and cheeses. We were told that the limoncello was made by one of the worker's moms. And it was quite yummy. The rooms are very secure and feel safe. It's in the very young hip neighborhood of Trastevere which is always bustling especially at night. But Santa Maria had no noise issues at all. Lots of shops and restaurants in the neighborhood and an easy 10 minute walk to The Pantheon and other historic sights. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple