“Nice hotel”
Review of Hotel Santa Maria

Hotel Santa Maria
Ranked #10 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Nice hotel near Piazza Santa Maria. Our room on the ground floor where there is a lovely courtyard outside with amazing orange trees and tables/chairs you can sit out on. A quiet atmosphere and peace and you can have breakfast here. This hotel was also was the most quiet place we stayed. The afternoon snack buffet was the perfect way to kick off the evening or relax after a day of sight seeing. The Trastavere neighborhood is awash with alleys and streets full of small restaurants and shops waiting to be explored. The nearby square is a center of activity but not as loud or busy as the bigger ones across the river. From the hotel you can easily walk to all Rome attractions. Felt good with our choice of hotel and will most certainly come back here.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,024)

Reviewed 8 May 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a fantastic three night stay in Hotel Santa Maria. We wanted to stay in the Trastevere area and found the hotel recommended on I-Escape (though we booked separately through a different website).

The hotel arranged a pick-up for us at the airport which was much appreciated as we arrived very late on Friday night. I can honestly say that the photos on the hotel website do not do the rooms justice and I will admit that I was slightly concerned that the room was going to be slightly tired. We were pleasantly surprised to arrive and find a great room, spotlessly clean and very comfortable. We had room number one which was excellent and we couldn't hear any noise from any other rooms.

The staff were all very helpful in terms of directions and answering any queries we had or making restaurant reservations for us. The breakfast served each morning were also very nice.

Overall we had a fantastic stay and I really can't recommend this hotel enough to anyone coming to Rome. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Your taxi driver has to be unusually brave, even by Roman standards, to negotiate the narrow maze of pedestrian ways to get to the front of this hotel. But once you are dropped off outside the large gates complete with buzzer, you can hear the advantage. The noise of the main Piazza Santa Maria, 'due passi' away, is completely blocked out and you enter your little private oasis, that is indeed a gem.

The hotel is delightful. We had Room 1 (first time ever in a hotel!) which was squeaky clean and well appointed with our own private patio complete with pot plants and orange tree. The only problem with the room, an invasion by ants, was promptly dealt with by a charming and helpful receptionist armed with an effective flit spray.

Breakfast was good with a wide variety of cheeses, hams, eggs, fruit . . . . and was taken 'a fuori' surrounded by orange trees. From the moment of arrival we were made to feel welcome. The bar is a bit dingy, but who wants to drink inside?

You can get there from Termini Station on a H bus, but be warned that from the nearest bus stop you have to walk the length of Via del Lungharetta, which is rough-cobbled and very unkind to pull-along cases on wheels. By the way, give the bar in the square adjacent to Vicolo del Piede a serious miss unless you feel very affluent - Euro 15 for 2 small bottles of Nastro Azurro is a ferocious rip off. Go 100 metres off-piazza and you can have the same for a third of the price.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

We have been to Rome many times and this was without a doubt the best hotel we have stayed in. The setting is lovely as are the rooms and we were very lucky to be tucked around a corner with our own courtyard. Trastevere is a wonderful area full of character and great restaurants. One of the best attributes was the peace and quiet the lovely hotel offered to tired guests after long days in Rome. All the staff are happy and helpful and the food, especially the complimentary nibbles in late afternoon are a real treat. Well done to everyone you made our holiday very special

Room Tip: All the rooms I saw I would have been happy to have been allocated.
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Great location, good neighborhood, walking distance to most sights. We where not too lucky with the weather. Had it been warmer, we would have enjoyed the beautiful courtyard for breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2012

This was the final hotel of 5 that we stayed in during out two week stay in Italy. It was a huge disappointment. It was the most expensive by far and the room was the worst. Very shabby, seemed dingy and almost dirty. Woman we usually dealt with at the desk seemed to dislike us immediately. She was never pleasant or welcoming. Wireless did not work, neighborhood rather shady, a few homeless around sleeping in doorways. Pretty close to everything by public transportation, but don't expect any help figuring out buses. Good breakfast and nice common room and outdoor patio, but would not recommend to anyone unless under 180 euro per night. We paid 240 and feel ripped off.

10  Thank Rochelle L
HotelSantaMariaRome, Owner at Hotel Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

I am really sorry to read you have a bad opinion about my hotel. Since we opened our priority has always been to provide the highest quality and service to our guests.
I am really regretful you found someone in our staff "unpleasant "and "never welcoming" and it will be my main concern to take action on this matter.
I remind you that the many enthusiastic comments in favor of our staff, written on "Tripadvisor" , other Web Sites and especially on our countless " Guest's Books", are sincere and result of our work, made with full commitment and dedication.
I can only think that you have suffered, unfortunately, an exceptional event.
It is really hard to understand why you call our room and bedspreads” shabby”or “ dingy”.
I am an architect and I put all my experience choosing an elegant,simple but precious style that has always been appreciated from our guests, as you can read in our countless positive reviews. I guess you are probably confusing us with another hotel, during your trip in Italy.
You describe “Trastevere” as a” rather” and “ shady” district : trust me, it is instead the ancient neighborhood in Rome, considered one of the most characteristic place in the Historical Center, genuine and colorful , in all the most important world’s guides.
If in a certain way I can think those are your personal opinion, I really cannot accept when you call my hotel “ dirty” : I am sorry but this is impossible! We have four persons taking care of our rooms and common spaces every day, with their professionalism and experience since 10 years and, has always been a source of pride for our Hotel !
I shall be honored if you will be again my guest to improve my sincerity and show you the various qualities of the neighborhood” Trastevere”and and also those of my small but charming Hotel.
Paolo Vetere - Hotel Santa Maria

Reviewed 26 April 2012

My husband and I chose the Hotel Santa Maria for our first visit in Rome (summer 2010). Our stay was a wonderful experience all its own! The courtyard, rooms, and staff combine to create a comfortable Rome atmosphere. The breakfast buffet and afternoon goodies are wonderful! The staff was always willing to make us a cappucinno to enjoy under the orange trees in the beautifull courtyard. Our return trip to Rome in October 2011 was dependent upon being able to stay again at the Hotel Santa Maria, and it was just as wonderful as the first time! Fabulous neighborhood in walking distance to all major sights!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple