“Fantastic location, cheap price”
Review of Sandy Hostel

and 1 more site!
Sandy Hostel
Ranked #579 of 1,091 Speciality Lodging in Rome
Lunenburg, Massachusetts
“Fantastic location, cheap price”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I stayed here for one night after a cruise, and was leaving Rome the next day. I found the place very easy to find, as I had the address written down - pretty simple.

I arrived early before check in, but I was able to leave my bags there and check out the city, and then come back later.

I was in a five bed room, and it wasn't bad - nothing fancy, but I wasn't paying much so I didn't expect much. I've stayed in many hostels before, and this one was fine. The bathroom was clean, I was given free maps, and the wifi worked great. Plus they had lockers (I brought my own lock).

Overall, it wasn't bad, and I really loved the location, so close to the metro, and I walked everywhere. For the price and location, I'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

If you are reading this and have booked a room, don't panic. I did upon reading these reviews.
It is not hard to find if you can count building numbers.
Granted the climb to the 4th floor is a challenge even for the athletic!!
We were welcomed by a guy who was really friendly and helpful. We had 2 beds in a 4 dorm. The lockers were OK, didn't look sturdy but they did the job. There is a bathroom and shower.
There is wifi but it was a little temperamental.
The location was excellent, close to termini and the colosseum!
It is not that bad!! I promise, every day between 11.30 and 2.30 they clean quite a lot.
Only negative is there is no common / social area. So if you are here for 2-3 nights and on a budget it is perfect. If you are here for longer and want to meet people it's not ideal.

• Stayed July 2013
Washington D.C.
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We booked this "hotel" at the last minute while studying abroad in a graduate program. When we saw all the horrible reviews we quickly started regretting our payment. However, when we got there we were refreshingly surprised. I believe most people are probably dissatisfied with this hostel because it's called "Hotel Sandy" and they are expecting a luxurious hotel, or even just a hotel for that matter. However, it is a hostel, and a pretty clean and safe one. The location is absolutely perfect and it's just minutes away from the metro system that can take you anywhere that is not walking distance. The rooms were clean and we witnessed the staff cleaning/bleaching things first hand. We stayed in a four person room and were fortunate enough to not have to share with any unknown people. We also had a clean private bathroom in our room, which is often not found in a hostel. The lady who worked the front was extremely helpful, gave us a bunch of information and maps, and was willing to help us with anything. This is definitely a place you would want to stay if you are studying abroad, low budget, a student, or just staying for a night or two.

Room Tip: Bring your own pillow case (to any hostel).
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I stayed here in june 2012. In general acceptable accommodation option (for undemanding tourists), but can be better. Minuses: location is closer to the station than to the attractions. Inconvenient to find and the stairs were bad. Noisy, when there were many guests. Pluses: the price matches the quality. The staff was friendly and diligent. WiFi was good. Summary: for the price is acceptable, but I would have preferred more price and more comfortable.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Littleton, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 10 June 2013

The place is VERY difficult to find and very hot. But for the price its close to train station and i met some really cool people here. The staff was nice and i felt very safe at the hostel and it is kept decently clean.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2013

After reading all the reviews before finding the place, I started to get nervous. The place was NOT that bad, though! If you pay attention to the directions they give you on the confirmation email and watch the building numbers, the place is NOT difficult to find. The location is wonderful--within walking distance of the Colosseum, the Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, the Roman Forum...everything! Sure, the room is a little sketchy and the toilet runs like a race horse, but it is a perfectly decent place to sleep, which is all you really need. This was the kind of place I sort of expected for what I was paying (it was CHEAP), so all the people who were expecting it to be nicer, clearly they haven't stayed in many hostels or at least not in Italy. For the price, you can't beat it. The guys that live there and run the place are very nice, speak English very well, and the wifi works. Just be prepared to walk up a bunch of flights of steps. The worst part about this place was the awkward old man that was living in my 6-bed room, really. Everything else was definitely not as horrendous as the other reviews make it out to be.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 8 October 2012

First of all I have never written a complaint email in my life, but I want to warn any other innocent travellers like ourselves from wrecking what could be a good time in Rome.
Ok so where do I start!? Firstly, you cannot find the hostel anywhere. There was no sign out the front, it was just fortunate that I found the street number after walking up and down the street several times. It was a closed door with a buzzer. We buzzed to get in and walked in, there were no lights on so it was dark, messy, cobwebs and we had to walk up about 4 flights of stairs. It looked like something from a horror movie! Then we got there and it was just like an IT nerd in his room who then gave us a key to our room. The only good thing about this place was the location close to the train station and Colloseum but still I would not recommend this place to anyone. Pay that little bit more for somewhere else, because trust me it is worth it. P.S the sign also calls itself a Hotel, it is far from being a Hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels