“Great staff, okay hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Robinson

Hotel Robinson
Ranked #767 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
Toronto, Canada
“Great staff, okay hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2009

We stayed at this hotel during our 5 day stay in Rome. We stayed in room 201.

Here is a quick breakdown of pros and cons:

Pros:
-5 minute walk from Termini train station. There is a fruit market on the same street, along with a internet/laundry cafe in close proximity
-friendly & helpful staff
-there was a small bar fridge, but don't expect it to keep things ice cold.
-front desk is avaiable 24 hours and they have security cameras

cons:

-renovations were taking place during our stay and we had to leave the room by 9:30am because we couldn't stand the constant drilling noises. Not a real issue if you plan your day early.
-shower floor was levelled with the bathroom floor so water would get everywhere
-there was a weird smell on the bed by the head board, smelled a lot like rubber and sweat
-our bed was bascially two single beds pushed together
-bed was too big for the room and I kept banging my leg everytime I tried to walk between the bed and table
-there was no A/C, that was an extra cost. We tried opening the windows but not a real solution since the street can get noisy
-you need to provide a $20 deposit in order to get a remote control for the tv, that was a bit weird since you are already paying for the room.
-towels were really thin, similar to bed sheets, so keep that in mind if you book.

They are in the process of renovating so maybe once that's done they will have better rooms. Overall I think I would try a different hotel if I do return to Rome.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ClonedTwice

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2009

I loved Hotel Robinson. Great location, although it's right next to Termini it feels safe. It's location are actually very convinient.
The staff is friendy and helpful.
Nice breakfast.
Nice rooms; not big not fany but ok.
The price are allright.
The place feels really safe, since there are people at the receptions 24h a day.
A really nice place, and I will come back!

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Egus
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2009

We booked Hotel Robinson with fairly low expectations. The price was competitive and we knew that some of the places by Termini were a bit dodgy.

However, we were pleasantly surprised by Hotel Robinson. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. The room was small, but well equiped and very clean.

On arrival I realised that Amex had booked me a twin when we wanted a double. We were fairly relaxed about it, but in any case, the staff made an extra-special effort to change all of the furniture in the room - and we were only staying for three nights!

• Liked — Helpful staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Lancashire, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2008

First impressions of The Robinson were that it was a small but quite authentic looking hotel. Staff were immediately friendly and eager to help. I visited the hotel with my mother and sister and we shared a family room. I was horrified to see that the shower room was a clear glass cubicle in one corner of the bedroom, and it took a little getting used to, using the toilet and shower in full view of my family, so make sure you are completely comfortable with the people you are holidaying with! Overall my stay at The Robinson was fine. As long as you aren't planning on spending a lot of time in your room (can be very noisy if trying to sleep in the day), and you are happy with very basic accomodation and breakfast then this hotel should not be a problem. But don't expect luxury. The location is good, near some lovely little Roman restaurants and within walking distance to all the main attractions. The hotel is clean and staff are helpful, give it a go.

• Liked — clean and friendly staff
  • Disliked — shower room arrangements
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Haifa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2007

We stayed in Robinson hotel for 6 nights. The location was great-only few minutes from Termini station, which is the central station in Rome, and from which we could have all the kinds of transportation (bus, metro ,train). This area is also full of fast food restaurants, which was very convenient.
The breakfast was very good and rich- bread, cheese, cakes, hot croissants, cookies, cereals, fruits, coffee and tea.
The staff was also very(!) friendly- They helped us in every question, and recommended us nice places to go.
The rooms were very basic- In the standard room, where we stayed for the last 3 nights, the toilet and the bath were in the middle of the room (there was no separated room for it), which was very unconvenient and definitely lacks the private feeling.
We also stayed in the Delux room for 3 nights, which was very small and crowded. We couldn't leave our bags open, because there wasn't enough room for us and for the bags in the same time! I also have to mention that everyday the rooms were cleaned including new towels were added.
This hotel is good for people who want to tour rome, not to stay in the hotel. We were that kind of people, so for us the hotel was quite good and we were satisfied.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank chocolatecream
cambridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2007

I booked this hotel just one day before coming to Rome, the price was quite affordable(me and my girlfriend are both students) and it is situated in a great location, close to the Termini station which is really good.
We arrived around 11.30 and we were told to wait because check-out time is normally around 11 and they had to clean the room. They offered us a coffee in their wonderful breakfast hall and gave us suggestions about important things to visit and to do in Rome. Ana (receptionist) was really nice and kind.
The rooms are simple but very clean and the best thing is that you feel at home because the family who run the hotel is so kind and work overtime to make sure you enjoy yourselves. Great breakfast!
I will definetely come back!

Grazie Hotel Robinson

5 Thank europatour
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2007

I booked this hotel through Orbitz because of the low price and "good location" but this hotel is what I imagine hell to be like. I read other people's reviews of this hotel, I did a lot of research and I put a lot of time into the planning of my trip to Italy so trust me when I say this hotel is HORRIBLE! The hotel is in the bad part of Rome, it is seedy, ugly and a little scary at night, especially if you're a young woman. The hallways smelled like pee, like a NY subway station (seriously). I stayed with my family, but the room was too small to accommodate 4 people even though it was a "quad" room. And now the best part: the bathroom is a small closet, it is not a separate room, it is basically a closet with screen doors that includes a toilet and a shower head opposite to it. (the sink is outside in the room, think prison cell) You have a curtain the separates the toliet bowl from getting wet when you shower. This "bathroom" closet is right next to one of the beds so you hear EVERYTHING, and I mean someone going #2. I have never written a review about anything before, good or bad. I was so disgusted by this place that I was motivated to do something about it and write a review so that I can prevent others from booking here. If you are tight on cash, there are other hotels that are 10x better than Hotel Robinson in this area by the train station that are cheaper, I heard the Aphrodite was decent. Rome is a beautiful city with breath-taking sites, don't let this hotel ruin your trip.

Stayed March 2007
8 Thank NYtravelgirlNewYork

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels