“Rome Secret”

Ranked #298 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Tauranga New Zealand
“Rome Secret”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

You would not normally stay at this hotel but it was recommended by a local. It is modern with adequate rooms and large bathrooms . It is very central and in easy access to many restaurants and ancient cobbled streets. Reception area is very good and an easy place to relax. Roof bar is another public area with plenty going for it with stunning views of the near vicinity. Staff all spoke good English a rarity in Italy. Breakfast is included in the room rate and is very good, Another big plus is free WiFi . I would return to this hotel without hesitation

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
lima
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I stayed in this hotel in August 2012 and was surprised by how stylish and modern it was for such a good price. The reception was airy and open and the staff at the desk were very friendly and spoke good English.
Our room was a good size and the bathroom was large. It had everything we needed except for the air conditioning not working very well. It wasn't broken, it just wasn't very powerful and in mid August in Rome you definitely need decent A/C!
The provided breakfast was of a really high standard and there was a lot of choice, from healthy options of fruit and fresh juices to meats and cheeses.
I would definitely recommend this hotel but just be prepared to feel a little warm!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank 199cate
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We have stayed here twice and thoroughly enjoyed both stays , getting to places was not a problem we got the 8 tram into Largo Argentina where you are close to Piazza Navona , Campo di Fiori and only a bus trip away from the Vatican and more central sights , Also around the corner from hotel you can get the 3 tram which takes you to the Colosseum in about 15 minutes going by the Circus Maximus , and Fort Romano . Staff are very friendly and our breakfast was lovely , Also on your doorstep who have the lovely Santa Maria in Trastevere ,one of the oldest and most beautiful churches in Rome , and lovely evening location this is .

Room Tip: Rooms at back are nice
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We stayed here for the last four nights of our 2 week trip to Italy and I was beyond disappointed. All of the previous hotels we booked were good, if not great. Having read the TA reviews, I thought this hotel was going to be a great location for us, but I was sorely mistaken. This was our first trip to Rome and I would have preferred to be much closer to the shopping/restaurants/nightlife of the city.

The hotel is close to the Tram 8 line, but other than that, it's rather inconvenient. We walked at least 30 minutes to get to the Colosseum; I would have enjoyed it much more if we had been walking past other historic areas on our way, but we were in the middle of nowhere (so it felt). And also, most of the taxi drivers we had did not know where the hotel was-at all. And some had never even heard of it...one dropped us off in the middle of the street because he was sure that we had the wrong name for the hotel (at least we were only a five min walk from the hotel when he dropped us off)

The rooms are tiny-there was not enough room to put our luggage down and still have walking space in the room-to get out of bed I had to step over my own luggage to get to the bathroom. The room was extremely depressing...outdated, dark furniture, wallpaper peeling off the walls, navy blue, plastic-looking woven carpet (not really sure what it was) on the floor...I was so disappointed this was our last place to stay in Italy. I would have rather ended on a high note rather than such a terrible one. The bed was, I believe, a double. It was tiny, however it is all that would fit in the room.

The bathroom was decent, and the shower was nice. Half of the bathroom space should have been allotted to the room--or I should have moved my suitcase in the bathroom-there was tons of extra space in there!

The A/C didn't work very well, either. Thank goodness it was pretty cool the few days we were in Rome; we slept with our window open most nights.

The service was ok-they weren't all that friendly, however, they would speak to you if you spoke to them.

The breakfast was also disappointing-you could tell they served the leftovers from the mornings before--all of the other breakfasts we had in Italy at least had scrambled eggs or some semblance of bacon or meat--my husband was requesting McDonald's after our second breakfast here...

We never got to visit the rooftop bar because it was only open certain hours. And they don't serve food...

The one word I would use to describe this hotel: depressing.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Daniele-HSF, Proprietario at Hotel San Francesco, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,
my name is Daniele and I am the owner of Hotel San Francesco. I am very sorry my hotel did not match your expectations as it did for so many other guests who enjoyed their stay with us. It's difficult to be liked by everybody.
However I need to reply to some comments of yours about us.
Have you ever taken a look at our official web site before make the reservation? I can not read anywhere we are close to the colosseum even if 30 minutes walking across the wonderful centre of Rome is not so far in my honest opinion. We are located in Trastevere the most folkloristic area of the center of Rome, full of restaurants, bars and nightlife. How can you say that we are located in the middle of nowhere? If the taxi drivers you met did not know where the hotel is located it’s so strange but consider that there are almost 2000 hotels in Rome, who can remind all?
For what concerning our breakfast, it offers cold cuts, cheese, bread, boiled eggs, tomatoes, 3 types of cakes, peeled fresh fruits, fruit juices, etc. Anyway if you tell me that McDonald is your favourite restaurant, this is probably the reason why you do not like our food.
The Hotel San Francesco is an hystoric building, a former seminary, so we had a lot of obligations during conversion into hotel and could not make american standard rooms.
Finally we have planned a restoration of all rooms during next months and I will be honoured to meet you next time in Rome and get a new review.

Daniele Frontoni
Hotel San Francesco
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I have stayed in the heart of Rome and Trastevere before and this hotel is definitely the pick of the lot. Beautifully decorated and has a wonderful feel. Great breakfast. We stayed with our family of five and while they don't have connecting rooms they made sure we were right next to each other. The rooftop bar was a must way to start our night before exploring the wonderful part of the world that is Trastevere. It really wasn't a problem getting into Rome, tram is regular and took only a short time. We even took a cab from the Trevi Fountain and it was only around 15 Euro. We would definitely go back. Excellent value and most enjoyable place.

Room Tip: You can totally miss the hotel from the front.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

We spent 4 nights here. Charming hotel, pleasant staff and great rooftop bar. In a good area of Travestere, not noisy but pretty close to bars and restaurants. Only issues: room very small (although bathroom fine) which means very limited storage space and not enough shelves. Lift to 4th floor slow. Hotel was full and breakfast area was too small for all guests; this meant a bit of waiting. The solution is either get up early or late! Breakfast was very good.
We would stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
laguna, philippines
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

This hotel is located 2 blocks away from the Tram8. The front desk is very helpful in teaching us how to buy tram tickets. Yes lots of walking but there is no other way to explore the beauty of Rome but thru foot! Hotel calls for taxi and available in 5mins.

Located near a Carrefour Express. Water in sink potable; also water fountain across the street. Fun to eat in area near Santa Maria Trastevere area.

Hotel room small; but large bathroom! Get room 106, 206, etc... Breakfast always the same but I didnt get tired of their french bread and other offerings. I thought their cantaloupe was the sweetest I have ever had.

• Stayed September 2013