Hotel San Francesco
US$429
US$408
Hotwire.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsrooftop bartrastevere arearestaurants and barslovely little hotelexcellent locationhotel is locateddecent sizepublic transportpastriestrip to romenice bathroomthe air conditioningcold meatsmin walkon footquiet streetheart of rome
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I spent 2 night here in early July 2014. The rooms are small but equipped. Free WiFi was a plus. The roof terrace is spectacular with a refreshing breeze blowing even on the hottest days. The bar is open at 6PM with a wonderful bartender, Giordano, who was friendly, knowledgeable but not overbearing. You can sit up there anytime of day, to read or relax. Breakfast was varied and served in a comfortable room. On my first night, the a/c failed in my room on a hot and steamy night. The hotel was fully booked and I couldn't get moved. It was a long, sleepless night. In the morning, I did not need to complain. Management was fully aware of the situation, moved me into a better room for the second night and did everything they could to make amends. Things can go wrong and I judge a staff by how they react. I was assuaged and impressed with their willingness to accommodate. My friends and I were leaving on an early flight to NYC. We needed to leave before the breakfast room opened. The staff made arrangements to permit us to have breakfast before we departed. Nice touch. It is situated in the heart of Trastevere, very near to Via Trastevere.

Room Tip: If the a/c is working, rooms in any part of the hotel are quiet but if open windows are a requirement, ask for the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Walter T
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed here for our last 2 nights in Italy. The location is very convenient for getting to all of the sights and Trastevere is full of great places to eat and drink.

Our room was on the third floor with a walk-in shower, it clean and had a great view. The staff at the hotel were also very attentive, calling taxis and responding to requests very quickly. Echoing other guests reviews, the rooftop bar alone is a good reason to stay here. The bartender seems to care a lot about the hotel guests, and we followed his restaurant recommendation and found authentic Neapolitan pizza nearby. Wifi at this hotel was fast, as long as you connect to the right network (there is one for every floor.)

There were a few cons: The light in our bathroom had a mind of it's own and would decide when it wanted to work. I think the staff changed the bulb for us while we were out but the problem persisted so it could have been an electricity issue. Also, if you have loud neighbors you can hear them through the walls.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FreeAgentX
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My husband and I recently spent 5 nights here. This was our second visit, being there about 6 years ago. I was shocked about how the rooms were in disarray. We had booked one of the rooms in the back, so there were no noise issue. When we checked in, we asked if we could upgrade but we were told that they were already booked and we had already had a "large" premium room. Out room was extremely small! Our king bed was comfortable. The bathroom was large with a tub. When I tried to plug in their hairdrier in the bathroom, it didn't work. However, my husband's shaver did. I thought perhaps it had something to do with the plug since it worked in the bedroom. There were no mirrors in the bedroom, so it wasn't possible to use the drier. I asked the front desk to check into this but they never did. In the bathroom, there was an empty space between the window and the wall. Instead of repairing it, it was blocked by shoving towels in the spaces. The bottom of the tub also needed repairs.
The common areas were in good condition. The breakfast was minimal but ok. We opted to forego the breakfasts and go to one of the local cafes for a cappucini. There is a lovely rooftop terrace.
On the plus side, the hotel is inexpensive and a short walk from the center of Trastevere.
My husband and I have been to Rome many times and have never stayed in a hotel where their management did not care about their establishment. Their are many other hotels in the area, so stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kathieann
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The location is the best thing about the hotel. We walked to almost all the places in Central Rome we wanted to see. Only the Vatican was too far to walk (although we did walk back to our hotel because we couldn't figure out where the bus stop was for the route going in reverse).

As has been stated by many reviewers, the rooms are furnished in spare style. There were several small inconveniences in our room. For example, we found the blow dryer was in a drawer in the desk in the bedroom, which had a hole drilled in it through which the power chord went. It was impossible to take the dryer out and plug it in elsewhere. There was no mirror above the desk, and no plug ins in the bathroom. So, to dry our hair, we had to pull the dryer out of the drawer as far as the power chord would allow, and the stretch around the corner to try to see what we were doing. The HVAC system was difficult to understand, but we finally got it to work well enough. We had a room at the end of the hall, with bathroom windows that faced towards a busy street, but we were able to dampen the street noise by shutting the bathroom door.

In other respects, the hotel was nice. There was a dish of hard candies in the room, and fruit was always sitting out in the lobby area. The breakfast was varied enough that after three days, it didn't feel redundant. The staff was generally friendly and attentive. The small square next to the hotel with the Chiesa San Francesco a Ripa was quaint. The Trastevere is a great place in general for small, non-touristy restaurants, gelato shops, and other shops. Having stayed here once, I'd probably look for someplace else to stay next time, but if you're looking for mid-priced small hotel in a convenient location, this place would do fine.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank signe1
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Nice hotel with walking distance to many of the nice spots in Rome, including the lovely streets and piazzas in Trastevere. Our room was rather small and definitely inefficiently soundproof, and we could hear a lot more than we wanted to hear from the adjacent rooms. The breakfast room was rather crowded and one morning we had to eat our breakfast in the foyer.
The rooftop bar was nice, if it wasn't raining. The bartender was the most communicative person in the hotel and he could make almost all possible drinks - except Caipirinha. Take good care of this guy!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple